At work I have ProEng, AutoCAD, MasterCAM and a couple of other modelling and
analysis tools. Remote desktop has worked great for email, file access,
Word/Excel and so forth, but it slows desperately with the graphics intensive
programs. Is the only answer more bandwidth (currently cable) or are there
other approaches so that I can actually work from home on these packages?
Thanks.

lsk7777 wrote:
> At work I have ProEng, AutoCAD, MasterCAM and a couple of other
> modelling and analysis tools. Remote desktop has worked great for
> email, file access, Word/Excel and so forth, but it slows desperately
> with the graphics intensive programs. Is the only answer more
> bandwidth (currently cable) or are there other approaches so that I
> can actually work from home on these packages? Thanks.

You could try using something like "UltraVNC", but my assumption is that for
application like that (where lots of processor and graphics power are
needed) - you really should have two copies of it installed. One at home
and one at work. I cannot imagine trying (or why you would try) to run
something like 3D Studio over a remote session. On most systems, a great
project will look slow sitting in front of the machine - but taking that and
streaming all over the internet/network down to another machine?

--
--
The information above is intended to assist you; however, it is
suggested you research for yourself before you take any advice - you

Thanks for thinking about it. My hardware at work is excellent and the
software are all network based (at least for license purposes). I don't
have to wait for much. This stuff is paid for by the company. At home I've
got a lot less horsepower and I'm happy to let the work machine do the number
crunching ... I just want a picture of the screen. Maybe this is not
available yet at my bandwidth. AF.