DVD to AVI or MPEG

Is there a way I can directly convert clips from a movie on a DVD
to either an AVI or MPEG? The IFO files do not open up in Premiere.
I realise I can hook my DVD player to the computer and capture but I
really don't want to have to do that.
I would like to put the DVD into my reader on the computer and go from
there. I already do video capture so the computer is set up for capture.

TIA

"Ron Tock" <rontockPANTS@yahooPANTS.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way I can directly convert clips from a movie on a DVD
> to either an AVI or MPEG? The IFO files do not open up in Premiere.
> I realise I can hook my DVD player to the computer and capture but I
> really don't want to have to do that.
> I would like to put the DVD into my reader on the computer and go from
> there. I already do video capture so the computer is set up for capture.
>
> TIA

The actual video (and audio) content is in the VOB files, not the IFOs.

Premiere does not open or edit MPEGs, and a VOB, as far as I know, is
basically a DVD-compliant kind of MPEG. As to the part of your question
which asks about converting DVD clips to an MPEG, you could simply rename
the VOB files to MPEG files. But, that won't help you with trying to edit
them in Premiere.

I use Premiere Elements, but I don't think Premiere Pro is any better in
this regard. Adobe cutely suggests that you may have problems trying to open
MPEGs in Premiere, but I suggest read that as , you WILL have problems!
Don't bother trying -- it's the wrong use for a good tool..

Somebody else might suggest a "DVD2AVI" type tool, but I have no experience
with that. Depending on what you're trying to do, you might be better off
with something like TMPGEnc DVD Author (which will open the DVD's whole
VIDEO_TS folder, and let you make cuts in it -- although not down to exact
frames -- then create or change the menus); or VideoReDo (which lets you
import the individual VOB files, then make cuts, then join the VOBs back
together); or Womble MPEG Video Wizard (which will import VOBs to a
Premiere-type timeline, then let you make cuts and/or alter the video or
audio in Premiere-type ways -- at the price of re-encoding, with loss of
some quality -- or add titles or transitions).

If you're talking about a copy-protected DVD, then don't bother trying any
of the above til you use DVD Decrypter or DVD Shrink to rip the content to
your hard drive. Then, proceed as above.

Hope this helps. But I suggest you poke around videohelp.com, a great
resource for this kind of information. Good luck!

Ted Kerin wrote:

> "Ron Tock" <rontockPANTS@yahooPANTS.com> wrote in message
>
>>Is there a way I can directly convert clips from a movie on a DVD
>>to either an AVI or MPEG? The IFO files do not open up in Premiere.
>>I realise I can hook my DVD player to the computer and capture but I
>>really don't want to have to do that.
>>I would like to put the DVD into my reader on the computer and go from
>>there. I already do video capture so the computer is set up for capture.
>>
>>TIA
>

> The actual video (and audio) content is in the VOB files, not the IFOs.
>
> Premiere does not open or edit MPEGs, and a VOB, as far as I know, is
> basically a DVD-compliant kind of MPEG. As to the part of your question
> which asks about converting DVD clips to an MPEG, you could simply rename
> the VOB files to MPEG files. But, that won't help you with trying to edit
> them in Premiere.

Priemere is, of course lousy with MPEGs for editing but it encodes them
and they play ok.

> I use Premiere Elements, but I don't think Premiere Pro is any better in
> this regard. Adobe cutely suggests that you may have problems trying to open
> MPEGs in Premiere, but I suggest read that as , you WILL have problems!
> Don't bother trying -- it's the wrong use for a good tool..
>
> Somebody else might suggest a "DVD2AVI" type tool, but I have no experience
> with that. Depending on what you're trying to do, you might be better off
> with something like TMPGEnc DVD Author (which will open the DVD's whole
> VIDEO_TS folder, and let you make cuts in it -- although not down to exact
> frames -- then create or change the menus); or VideoReDo (which lets you
> import the individual VOB files, then make cuts, then join the VOBs back
> together); or Womble MPEG Video Wizard (which will import VOBs to a
> Premiere-type timeline, then let you make cuts and/or alter the video or
> audio in Premiere-type ways -- at the price of re-encoding, with loss of
> some quality -- or add titles or transitions).
>
> If you're talking about a copy-protected DVD, then don't bother trying any
> of the above til you use DVD Decrypter or DVD Shrink to rip the content to
> your hard drive. Then, proceed as above.

I have and use DVD Decrypter snd DVD Shrink. Excellent programs, both.

> Hope this helps. But I suggest you poke around videohelp.com, a great
> resource for this kind of information. Good luck!

That's a good idea. Thanks.

Ron Tock wrote:

> I have and use DVD Decrypter snd DVD Shrink. Excellent programs, both.
>

>> Hope this helps. But I suggest you poke around videohelp.com, a great
>> resource for this kind of information. Good luck!
>

> That's a good idea. Thanks.

Ron, also check out http://imtoo.com/

It can rip the DVD files and convert them directly to whatever you want,
AVI files for example. You download a trial version for free, which can
encode about 5 minutes worth of your program to let you see how it
works, then if you like it you pay $35 and get the authorization codes.
I tried it and bought it, and it seems to work as advertised. Good
looking video, editable (it made Matrox AVI files for me which didn't
even have to be rendered - just played in the timeline), and audio was
great.

Gary Eickmeier

Gary Eickmeier wrote:

> Ron Tock wrote:
>
>> I have and use DVD Decrypter snd DVD Shrink. Excellent programs, both.
>>

>>> Hope this helps. But I suggest you poke around videohelp.com, a great
>>> resource for this kind of information. Good luck!
>>

>> That's a good idea. Thanks.
>

> Ron, also check out http://imtoo.com/
>
> It can rip the DVD files and convert them directly to whatever you want,
> AVI files for example. You download a trial version for free, which can
> encode about 5 minutes worth of your program to let you see how it
> works, then if you like it you pay $35 and get the authorization codes.
> I tried it and bought it, and it seems to work as advertised. Good
> looking video, editable (it made Matrox AVI files for me which didn't
> even have to be rendered - just played in the timeline), and audio was
> great.
>
> Gary Eickmeier

Good. I will.
There are actually quite a few out there for sale.
This may be one of the better ones.
Thank you.

Ron Tock wrote:

> Good. I will.
> There are actually quite a few out there for sale.
> This may be one of the better ones.
> Thank you.

I don't know - but if you do find a better one, please let me know.

Gary Eickmeier

DVD -> AVI
DVDx 2.3
http://www.labdv.com/dvdx/

(You will need a program like AnyDVD or DVD Decrypter on commerical
discs.)

http://fcchandler.home.comcast.net/stable/
VirtualDub MPEG version.
It'll work, but since most VOB files for a disc are split into multiple
2/4GB vob files, to get an entire movie, it's best to DVD Decrypt to the
HD first (use NONE for file splitting in the preferences), then
VirtualDub to convert the one big vob file (here, you'll need to use
NTFS file system on the HD where the vob is stored to exceed the 4GB
file size limit of FAT32).

Both are free, and you can have everything converted in minutes flat.

David Chien wrote:

> DVD -> AVI
> DVDx 2.3
> http://www.labdv.com/dvdx/
>
> (You will need a program like AnyDVD or DVD Decrypter on commerical
> discs.)
>
> http://fcchandler.home.comcast.net/stable/
> VirtualDub MPEG version.
> It'll work, but since most VOB files for a disc are split into multiple
> 2/4GB vob files, to get an entire movie, it's best to DVD Decrypt to the
> HD first (use NONE for file splitting in the preferences), then
> VirtualDub to convert the one big vob file (here, you'll need to use
> NTFS file system on the HD where the vob is stored to exceed the 4GB
> file size limit of FAT32).
>
> Both are free, and you can have everything converted in minutes flat.

David, I don't see where either one of these can convert a DVD to AVI.

Gary Eickmeier

David Chien wrote:
> DVD -> AVI
> DVDx 2.3
> http://www.labdv.com/dvdx/
>
> (You will need a program like AnyDVD or DVD Decrypter on commerical
> discs.)
>
> http://fcchandler.home.comcast.net/stable/
> VirtualDub MPEG version.
> It'll work, but since most VOB files for a disc are split into multiple
> 2/4GB vob files, to get an entire movie, it's best to DVD Decrypt to the
> HD first (use NONE for file splitting in the preferences), then
> VirtualDub to convert the one big vob file (here, you'll need to use
> NTFS file system on the HD where the vob is stored to exceed the 4GB
> file size limit of FAT32).
>
> Both are free, and you can have everything converted in minutes flat.

I use DVD Decrypter a lot so it's already set up on my machine.