Hauppauge USB tv/pvr card questions

In article <bkm761dq3j2tcd6a3phki59i1j61ksqsaq@4ax.com>, me@privacy.net
says...
> Subject: Hauppauge USB tv/pvr card questions
> From: me@privacy.net
> Newsgroups: rec.video.desktop
>
> Can a person use the Hauppuage tv/pvr usb device to
> watch TV only without turning the main computer on?
>
> see link
>
> http://tinyurl.com/53e99

No, in fact I don't thin you can even use it with a regular TV at all,
you need a computer with a TV-Out card.
--
_________________________
http://www.ramsays-online.com

ME

>> Can a person use the Hauppuage tv/pvr usb device to
>> watch TV only without turning the main computer on?
>>
>> see link
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/53e99
>>

>No, in fact I don't thin you can even use it with a regular TV at all,
>you need a computer with a TV-Out card.

I see.... but I'm looking to use as PC and monitor as
my only TV.... such as in an RV

I realize I can install a TV/PVR card in the case but
then Id have to have that power supply running just to
watch TV.

There are devices that have a "pass thru" feature that
allow one to watch TV using the monitor ONLY... i.e.
not have the main CPU on and powered up. But I also
want the ability to "record" when needed

see link on such a device. It will allow use of a
monitor as a TV... but not sure if it acts as a PVR as
well. What you guys think?

http://tinyurl.com/9oclu

Samsung makes an LCD monitor that functions as a stand-alone TV.

<me@privacy.net> wrote in message

>>> Can a person use the Hauppuage tv/pvr usb device to
>>> watch TV only without turning the main computer on?
>>>
>>> see link
>>>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/53e99
>>>

>>No, in fact I don't thin you can even use it with a regular TV at all,
>>you need a computer with a TV-Out card.
>
> I see.... but I'm looking to use as PC and monitor as
> my only TV.... such as in an RV
>
> I realize I can install a TV/PVR card in the case but
> then Id have to have that power supply running just to
> watch TV.
>
> There are devices that have a "pass thru" feature that
> allow one to watch TV using the monitor ONLY... i.e.
> not have the main CPU on and powered up. But I also
> want the ability to "record" when needed
>
> see link on such a device. It will allow use of a
> monitor as a TV... but not sure if it acts as a PVR as
> well. What you guys think?
>
> http://tinyurl.com/9oclu

In article <85v7611gvpaminaf6ok4spv0hdfn34p4p0@4ax.com>, me@privacy.net
says...

> I see.... but I'm looking to use as PC and monitor as
> my only TV.... such as in an RV
>
> I realize I can install a TV/PVR card in the case but
> then Id have to have that power supply running just to
> watch TV.
>
> There are devices that have a "pass thru" feature that
> allow one to watch TV using the monitor ONLY... i.e.
> not have the main CPU on and powered up. But I also
> want the ability to "record" when needed
>
> see link on such a device. It will allow use of a
> monitor as a TV... but not sure if it acts as a PVR as
> well. What you guys think?
>
> http://tinyurl.com/9oclu

Since your monitor plug into the computers video card and not the PVR
device this would be impossible with one of Hauppages devices. The
Kworld device you mention doens't look like it has any provision for
recording. It sounds like that you want is a Tivo or a DVD Recorder
and a small TV, or a Hauppage USB PVR and a laptop.
--
http://www.ramsays-online.com