Adobe Aquires Macromedia!!

14 answers Last reply
More about adobe aquires macromedia

    "nap" wrote ...

    http://www.computerworld.com/softwaretopics/software/apps/story/0,10801,101157,00.html

    Many of us weren't thrilled with the result of Adobe buying CoolEdit
    from ex-Syntrillium. (Now known as "Audition") They removed
    features, raised the price, and killed off the entry-level CE2K.

    About bloody time.

    Maybe they'll buy - and kill - Corel next.

    I didn't think Microsoft was really competition for Adobe though - more like
    complementary products. ???

    It's take Adobe nearly two decades to get where they are. (Illustrator 88
    anyone?) Is there really any expection Microsoft is going to waltz in take
    chunks out of Adobe's market share? I'm skeptical...

    C.

    "nap" <gospam@yourself.com> wrote in message
    > http://www.computerworld.com/softwaretopics/software/apps/story/0,10801,101157,00.html
    >

    > interesting.

    I think they only removed the CD burning stuff that was in the CEP2K beta.
    It's back in now in the latest Audition, along with other niceties.

    But this is big. All the press know more than I .. they're focusing on what
    it will do to longhorn.

    "C.J.Patten" <cjpatten@KNOWSPAMrogers.com> wrote in message
    > About bloody time.
    >
    > Maybe they'll buy - and kill - Corel next.
    >
    > I didn't think Microsoft was really competition for Adobe though - more
    > like complementary products. ???
    >
    > It's take Adobe nearly two decades to get where they are. (Illustrator 88
    > anyone?) Is there really any expection Microsoft is going to waltz in take
    > chunks out of Adobe's market share? I'm skeptical...
    >
    > C.
    I think the talk is about the built in graphics and web apps in longhorn.

    On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 19:19:38 GMT, in 'rec.video.desktop',
    in article <Re: Adobe Aquires Macromedia!!>,
    "nap" <gospam@yourself.com> wrote:

    >I think they only removed the CD burning stuff that was in the CEP2K beta.

    What???!!! My life hasn't been the same without the Brainwave
    Synchronizer!

    (On the Transform menu under Special, as I recall.)

    --
    Frank, Independent Consultant, New York, NY
    [Please remove 'nojunkmail.' from address to reply via e-mail.]

    "Frank" <frank@nojunkmail.humanvalues.net> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 19:19:38 GMT, in 'rec.video.desktop',
    > in article <Re: Adobe Aquires Macromedia!!>,
    > "nap" <gospam@yourself.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I think they only removed the CD burning stuff that was in the CEP2K beta.
    >
    > What???!!! My life hasn't been the same without the Brainwave
    > Synchronizer!
    >
    > (On the Transform menu under Special, as I recall.)

    Don't laugh! That was the most relaxing thing I've ever heard in my life.
    I had a wav that was set up for relaxing thought and one for sleep. I've
    since lost both in the several rebuilds of my machines.

    To think, I'll never get them back...
    Tom P.

    In article <IoKdnZyO7J17l_nfRVn-pQ@rogers.com>,
    cjpatten@KNOWSPAMrogers.com says...
    > Subject: Re: Adobe Aquires Macromedia!!
    > From: "C.J.Patten" <cjpatten@KNOWSPAMrogers.com>
    > Newsgroups: rec.video.desktop
    >
    > About bloody time.
    >
    > Maybe they'll buy - and kill - Corel next.
    >
    > I didn't think Microsoft was really competition for Adobe though - more like
    > complementary products. ???
    >
    > It's take Adobe nearly two decades to get where they are. (Illustrator 88
    > anyone?) Is there really any expection Microsoft is going to waltz in take
    > chunks out of Adobe's market share? I'm skeptical...
    >
    > C.

    Since Microsoft can't buy Adobe it would not be out of character for
    them to "compete" by dumping a product on the market at a loss to hurt
    Adobe's sales. Like they did with the Xbox.
    --
    _________________________
    http://www.ramsays-online.com

    "The best situation for the consumer is a *well-run* monopoly."

    Like it or not, X-BOX is the only game console that really did network
    gaming correctly.
    That's not my opinion - I don't own any consoles - but it's discussed in
    magazines and online all the time.

    MS did it right. Nintendo and Sony didn't. MS took the opportunity.

    Adobe IS doing things right to the benefit of the Windows platform. I'd be
    surprised if MS wanted to hurt them.
    Adobe is good for the Windows platform.

    C.

    "Henry Padilla" <padillah@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > "Frank" <frank@nojunkmail.humanvalues.net> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 19:19:38 GMT, in 'rec.video.desktop',
    >> in article <Re: Adobe Aquires Macromedia!!>,
    >> "nap" <gospam@yourself.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I think they only removed the CD burning stuff that was in the CEP2K
    >>>beta.
    >>
    >> What???!!! My life hasn't been the same without the Brainwave
    >> Synchronizer!

    !!!
    That's a funny one..
    I never used that.. I'll have to go and check it out in my old install of
    CEP.

    > Adobe IS doing things right to the benefit of the Windows platform. I'd be
    > surprised if MS wanted to hurt them.
    > Adobe is good for the Windows platform.
    >
    > C.

    good point. I am not up to speed with the longhorn stuff. So I really don't
    know what the rub would be.

    In article <l-qdnaukfq-xqfjfRVn-rg@rogers.com>,
    cjpatten@KNOWSPAMrogers.com says...
    > Subject: Re: Adobe Aquires Macromedia!!
    > From: "C.J.Patten" <cjpatten@KNOWSPAMrogers.com>
    > Newsgroups: rec.video.desktop
    >
    > "The best situation for the consumer is a *well-run* monopoly."
    >
    > Like it or not, X-BOX is the only game console that really did network
    > gaming correctly.
    > That's not my opinion - I don't own any consoles - but it's discussed in
    > magazines and online all the time.
    >
    > MS did it right. Nintendo and Sony didn't. MS took the opportunity.
    >
    > Adobe IS doing things right to the benefit of the Windows platform. I'd be
    > surprised if MS wanted to hurt them.
    > Adobe is good for the Windows platform.
    >
    > C.

    The Xbox is essentially a PC so it does network gaming like a PC does,
    unfortunately it also costs as much to make, which is why at Sony
    Playstation 2 prices, it's a real loss leader.

    MS would love to be the ones providing the premiere video and imaging
    apps for windows I'm sure, pun intended. If they did, I'm sure it would
    be for a lot less money than comparable Adobe products, at least until
    Adobe gave up and went away or fell into MS hands.
    --
    _________________________
    http://www.ramsays-online.com

    Sure, internal control of a resource is always desirable.

    I wouldn't be surprised if MS gave it a shot. I WOULD be surprised if the
    media/design (print, web, video etc) community were swayed by an MS
    alternative to the Adobe Suites. It's just not an MS strength. (MS Frontpage
    versus GoLive/Dreamweaver? nuh uh...)

    Maybe with time. I'd wager MS would buy Adobe before trying to reinvent the
    wheel.

    Perhaps MS is aiming at the low end - a "Windows Movie Maker" level suite -
    for the home user covering web, print, DTP etc. Any indication that *isn't*
    the case for Longhorn?

    In article <49c9e.820$Xb4.541@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>,
    gospam@yourself.com says...
    > Subject: Re: Adobe Aquires Macromedia!!
    > From: "nap" <gospam@yourself.com>
    > Newsgroups: rec.video.desktop
    >

    > "C.J.Patten" <cjpatten@KNOWSPAMrogers.com> wrote in message
    > > Adobe IS doing things right to the benefit of the Windows platform. I'd be
    > > surprised if MS wanted to hurt them.
    > > Adobe is good for the Windows platform.
    > >
    > > C.
    >

    > good point. I am not up to speed with the longhorn stuff. So I really don't
    > know what the rub would be.

    MS never needed anyone to help them sell windows, it's kind of like gas,
    you're going to buy it no matter what.

    --
    _________________________
    http://www.ramsays-online.com

    If you look at trade articles there is adefinate situation with respect to
    longhorn and here is a part of the article I posted a link to

    "Adobe's ambition in this acquisition looks like a bit of a Longhorn killer
    to me," Governor said.

    Microsoft has been working on dynamic form technologies and a graphics
    system called Avalon as part of its upcoming Longhorn operating system. By
    moving into these areas, Adobe may be trying to cut Microsoft off at the
    pass, both analysts said.

    "There is no doubt that this is a significant competitive threat to
    Microsoft and one of Adobe's goals is to predict future battles," Brazier
    said.

    The combined company would be able to create a variety of rich media and
    Internet applications that use Flash, bumping into areas that Microsoft has
    shown interest in, said Ovum Ltd. analyst Bola Rotibi.

    "When you think of where Microsoft is headed with the future of its Media
    Player and Media Center PCs, this goes head to head," Rotibi said.

    nap

    > Sure, internal control of a resource is always desirable.
    >
    > I wouldn't be surprised if MS gave it a shot. I WOULD be surprised if the
    > media/design (print, web, video etc) community were swayed by an MS
    > alternative to the Adobe Suites. It's just not an MS strength. (MS
    > Frontpage versus GoLive/Dreamweaver? nuh uh...)
    >
    > Maybe with time. I'd wager MS would buy Adobe before trying to reinvent
    > the wheel.
    >
    > Perhaps MS is aiming at the low end - a "Windows Movie Maker" level
    > suite - for the home user covering web, print, DTP etc. Any indication
    > that *isn't* the case for Longhorn?
    >
    > C.
    >

    > "Chris Phillipo" <cphillipo@ramsays-online.com> wrote in message
    >
    >> MS would love to be the ones providing the premiere video and imaging
    >> apps for windows I'm sure, pun intended. If they did, I'm sure it would
    >> be for a lot less money than comparable Adobe products, at least until
    >> Adobe gave up and went away or fell into MS hands.

Tuner Cards Adobe Macromedia Desktops Video Graphics Product