Remote Desktop web connection does not work outside my loc..

I've set up Remote Desktop web connection and it works well when I use it
using a local ip address within the network. However when I connect from
outside the network, I get to the main screen where the Active X loads. when
I click connect though, after some time I get an error message saying that
maybe remote desktop connection is not enabled on the machine or there is
some network problem and I should try again later. I use an Aztech DSL turbo
900 router which has NAT enabled and I've tried opening up all the ports in
the posts. I suspect the problem lies with the router configuration. Can
anyone help?

You need both TCP Port 80 (IIS) and TCP Port 3389 (Remote Desktop) forwarded through the router to
the static LAN IP of the IIS server and PC your trying to connect to. Call using the public IP of
the router, ie. the IP assigned by your ISP.

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Benjy" <Benjy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've set up Remote Desktop web connection and it works well when I use it
> using a local ip address within the network. However when I connect from
> outside the network, I get to the main screen where the Active X loads. when
> I click connect though, after some time I get an error message saying that
> maybe remote desktop connection is not enabled on the machine or there is
> some network problem and I should try again later. I use an Aztech DSL turbo
> 900 router which has NAT enabled and I've tried opening up all the ports in
> the posts. I suspect the problem lies with the router configuration. Can
> anyone help?

Thanks, but I've already done that. I noticed a strange thing though, (after
I posted) if I leave the server name blank and click on connect, a black
screen opens with the external ip of my router on the title. when I login on
the next screen using an account on the machine where IIS is running, I can
use it normally. But I cant connect to any other machine on my network even
though remote desktop is enabled on them. Do I need to set up all the sytems
as hosts using different port numbers for IIS for each one of them? That
would be a big task.

"Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:

> You need both TCP Port 80 (IIS) and TCP Port 3389 (Remote Desktop) forwarded through the router to
> the static LAN IP of the IIS server and PC your trying to connect to. Call using the public IP of
> the router, ie. the IP assigned by your ISP.
>
> --
>
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> "Benjy" <Benjy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I've set up Remote Desktop web connection and it works well when I use it
> > using a local ip address within the network. However when I connect from
> > outside the network, I get to the main screen where the Active X loads. when
> > I click connect though, after some time I get an error message saying that
> > maybe remote desktop connection is not enabled on the machine or there is
> > some network problem and I should try again later. I use an Aztech DSL turbo
> > 900 router which has NAT enabled and I've tried opening up all the ports in
> > the posts. I suspect the problem lies with the router configuration. Can
> > anyone help?

The web based method, using IIS, still requires you to port forward the RDP protocol to each PC
through the router. You simply can not get around that. You then need to use Jeffrey Randow's
(MS-MVP) modified default.htm file on the IIS server so you can dynamically change the port your
calling with...

For information on how to setup port forwarding to multiple PCs behind a firewall/NAT/router look at
this page...

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/Multiple_PC_RD.html

To download the modified default.htm file from here...

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com/LinkClick.aspx?link=revised_rdwc.zip&mid=365

Make a backup of the original default.htm file first just to be safe...

As you can see, using the web based method adds complexity to the process. It may be easier for you
to simply access the PCs via either a VPN or SSH tunnel. Personally I use the SSH tunnel method to
access one or more XP Pro/Home boxes using either XP Pro Remote Desktop or UltraVNC for XP Home
machines...

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/SSH-RDP-VNC/RemoteDesktopVNCandSSH.html

Other SSH and Remote Desktop information...

http://www.bluestream.org/Networking/SSHTunnelRDP.htm
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/vnc

PPTP VPN help...

http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn_server.htm
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn.htm

--

> Thanks, but I've already done that. I noticed a strange thing though, (after
> I posted) if I leave the server name blank and click on connect, a black
> screen opens with the external ip of my router on the title. when I login on
> the next screen using an account on the machine where IIS is running, I can
> use it normally. But I cant connect to any other machine on my network even
> though remote desktop is enabled on them. Do I need to set up all the sytems
> as hosts using different port numbers for IIS for each one of them? That
> would be a big task.
>

> "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> You need both TCP Port 80 (IIS) and TCP Port 3389 (Remote Desktop) forwarded through the router
>> the static LAN IP of the IIS server and PC your trying to connect to. Call using the public IP of
>> the router, ie. the IP assigned by your ISP.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

>> "Benjy" <Benjy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I've set up Remote Desktop web connection and it works well when I use it
>> > using a local ip address within the network. However when I connect from
>> > outside the network, I get to the main screen where the Active X loads. when
>> > I click connect though, after some time I get an error message saying that
>> > maybe remote desktop connection is not enabled on the machine or there is
>> > some network problem and I should try again later. I use an Aztech DSL turbo
>> > 900 router which has NAT enabled and I've tried opening up all the ports in
>> > the posts. I suspect the problem lies with the router configuration. Can
>> > anyone help?

Thanks Sooner, I'll try that out & get back.

"=?Utf-8?B?QmVuank=?=" <Benjy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

> I've set up Remote Desktop web connection and it works well when I use
> it using a local ip address within the network. However when I connect
> from outside the network, I get to the main screen where the Active X
> loads. when I click connect though, after some time I get an error
> message saying that maybe remote desktop connection is not enabled on
> the machine or there is some network problem and I should try again
> later. I use an Aztech DSL turbo 900 router which has NAT enabled and
> I've tried opening up all the ports in the posts. I suspect the
> problem lies with the router configuration. Can anyone help?

make sure the DNS servers on the TSServer are set to the correct address,
and not just pointing to the router.