integration of home theater w/computer

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 19, 2005 1:06:48 AM

Archived from groups: alt.home-theater.misc,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

I have an ATI all-in-wonder 9800 Pro video card in my computer, and a
home theater system that is centered around a Pioneer DVX-411 reciever
(I think that's the correct model number). I would like to be able to
play .ISO images of my DVDs directly off my computer's hard drive and
into my home theater. I think my ATI video card will allow me to do
this, but I am wondering if there is anyone out there that has spent
much time messing around with this idea. I'm also wondering if the DVD
will maintain Dolby 5.1 surround sound. I know my card is capable of a
Dolby Digital AC-3 output, and possibly something called S/PDIF output.
I don't know if either of these audio outputs will get me 5.1 audio
since I don't know what they mean.

Anyone familiar with these audio formats? is what I am interested in
doing a possibility?

thanks -

Brian McCabe
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 11:45:09 AM

<briansmccabe@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have an ATI all-in-wonder 9800 Pro video card in my computer, and a
> home theater system that is centered around a Pioneer DVX-411 reciever
> (I think that's the correct model number). I would like to be able to
> play .ISO images of my DVDs directly off my computer's hard drive and
> into my home theater. I think my ATI video card will allow me to do
> this, but I am wondering if there is anyone out there that has spent
> much time messing around with this idea. I'm also wondering if the DVD
> will maintain Dolby 5.1 surround sound. I know my card is capable of a
> Dolby Digital AC-3 output, and possibly something called S/PDIF output.
> I don't know if either of these audio outputs will get me 5.1 audio
> since I don't know what they mean.
>
> Anyone familiar with these audio formats? is what I am interested in
> doing a possibility?
>
> thanks -
>
> Brian McCabe
I have played with this concept in a very small way - but I'm curious to
know what you mean by ISO images? Are you literally taliking about
converting your DVD's to .iso files which you then store on your hard disk
and then mount using virtual driver? I think I had this working but it was
some time ago....havent done much experimenting yet with SPDIF output from
the PC to my Amp.

Dave
April 19, 2005 12:49:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.home-theater.misc,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

briansmccabe@gmail.com wrote:

> I have an ATI all-in-wonder 9800 Pro video card in my computer, and a
> home theater system that is centered around a Pioneer DVX-411 reciever
> (I think that's the correct model number). I would like to be able to
> play .ISO images of my DVDs directly off my computer's hard drive and
> into my home theater. I think my ATI video card will allow me to do
> this, but I am wondering if there is anyone out there that has spent
> much time messing around with this idea. I'm also wondering if the DVD
> will maintain Dolby 5.1 surround sound. I know my card is capable of a
> Dolby Digital AC-3 output, and possibly something called S/PDIF output.
> I don't know if either of these audio outputs will get me 5.1 audio
> since I don't know what they mean.
>
> Anyone familiar with these audio formats? is what I am interested in
> doing a possibility?

I just finished a very similar project and yes, it all works. There is
a DVI->component adapter for ATI products (or you cab use the SVid) for
the video. For audio you may need to explicitly select the S/PDIF
output on your DVD program and/or your soundcard setting (I did not).
The only audio snag is that .mp3s play through the normal line-out only,
while "movies" play though both the S/PDIF and the line out (forcing a
redundant connection to listen to music). As far as the media goes-
it's a champ. DVDShrink your media onto the HD, then shortcut it into a
folder (or the desktop or whatever).

My only snag so far is an as yet unresolved screen-size problem. When
playing the 9800 through the DVI->component video
adapter->receiver->projector (a PG-A10X), the display size is squished
into the middle of the screen, about half-sized. I'm runing
non-standard desktop size to compensate for the shrinkage until the real
problem is solved.

trent
--
"This user has a pattern of behaviour in the usenet group chi.forsale
that borders on abusive."

Archived from groups: alt.home-theater.misc,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Wow, thanks everyone! For some reason I didn't think I'd get much
response on this. Cool to know that this is quite doable.

As for the ISO files: what my idea is has been pretty much laid out
already by others, but yeah, the basic idea is to rip the DVD to the
hard drive using DVDShrink (the latest version even goes *directly* to
ISO if you want) and then mounting the image file in a virtual CD/DVD
drive (I prefer Daemon tools). If you have enough hard drive space you
can put a decent number of movies on your machine.

The other huge advantage to this is that with my ATI card, I record a
ton of television programs on the PC. This way, I can play them back
thru the HT without having to author a DVD or anything like that.

thanks again everyone - if I have any questions on setting this up, I
know where to turn to!

thanks -

brian mc
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 4:44:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.home-theater.misc,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

You use a free program called DVDshrink to rip a DVD to a PC folder. A
movie averages about 5.5 gig. I use HTPC exclusively here with a SP 4805
PJ. It's very convieniant.

-W

"bugsy57" <bugsy57@spammer.spam> wrote in message
news:D 42cu5$eqm$1@hercules.btinternet.com...

> <briansmccabe@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >I have an ATI all-in-wonder 9800 Pro video card in my computer, and a
> > home theater system that is centered around a Pioneer DVX-411 reciever
> > (I think that's the correct model number). I would like to be able to
> > play .ISO images of my DVDs directly off my computer's hard drive and
> > into my home theater. I think my ATI video card will allow me to do
> > this, but I am wondering if there is anyone out there that has spent
> > much time messing around with this idea. I'm also wondering if the DVD
> > will maintain Dolby 5.1 surround sound. I know my card is capable of a
> > Dolby Digital AC-3 output, and possibly something called S/PDIF output.
> > I don't know if either of these audio outputs will get me 5.1 audio
> > since I don't know what they mean.
> >
> > Anyone familiar with these audio formats? is what I am interested in
> > doing a possibility?
> >
> > thanks -
> >
> > Brian McCabe
> I have played with this concept in a very small way - but I'm curious to
> know what you mean by ISO images? Are you literally taliking about
> converting your DVD's to .iso files which you then store on your hard disk
> and then mount using virtual driver? I think I had this working but it was
> some time ago....havent done much experimenting yet with SPDIF output from
> the PC to my Amp.
>
> Dave

Anonymous
April 19, 2005 4:45:12 PM

Archived from groups: alt.home-theater.misc,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Do I need a special kind of RCA cable to run from the ATI card to the
back of my reciever to ensure that I am getting the full dolby
soundtrack?

Another question - my television is woefully outdated, and as such has
only a COAX in jack on the back of it. Will this be a significant
hinderance?

thanks -

Brian Mc
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 11:12:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.home-theater.misc,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

In article <1113928886.050920.251740@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
briansmccabe@gmail.com says...
> Subject: Re: integration of home theater w/computer
> From: briansmccabe@gmail.com
> Newsgroups: alt.home-theater.misc, rec.video.desktop
>
> Wow, thanks everyone! For some reason I didn't think I'd get much
> response on this. Cool to know that this is quite doable.
>
> As for the ISO files: what my idea is has been pretty much laid out
> already by others, but yeah, the basic idea is to rip the DVD to the
> hard drive using DVDShrink (the latest version even goes *directly* to
> ISO if you want) and then mounting the image file in a virtual CD/DVD
> drive (I prefer Daemon tools). If you have enough hard drive space you
> can put a decent number of movies on your machine.
>
> The other huge advantage to this is that with my ATI card, I record a
> ton of television programs on the PC. This way, I can play them back
> thru the HT without having to author a DVD or anything like that.
>
> thanks again everyone - if I have any questions on setting this up, I
> know where to turn to!
>
> thanks -
>
> brian mc

Media Portal has playing of ISOs via Daemon tools built in so if you can
get it working it's a PVR and DVD ISO player. Sage TV will also do it
with an added "STV" or plug-in. GB-PVR might do it also, I havne't
tried it in a while. I don't think BeyondTV does it, MythTV might. VLC
player will play ISOs directly without daemon tools but unforunatly it's
not suitable for a HTPC, very basic interface and no remote control
support that I can see.
--
_________________________
http://www.ramsays-online.com

Archived from groups: alt.home-theater.misc,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Well, I did some tinkering with this idea tonight and did not make much
progress. My ATI card came with two output connectors. One is black and
one is red.

The black one has a 10-pin connector that plugs into the card, and has
three cords on the other end. One is labeled "S/PDIF", one is yellow
for video and the other is an eighth-inch stereo jack to plug into the
computer's sound card.

The red connector is a bit different. It has the same connector to plug
into the ATI card and also has the 8th-inch jack for the PC's sound
card. But then it has three other connectors. One is orange, one is
blue and one is green. The orange one is labeled "digital audio" and
the green and blue ones are not labeled.

I really don't know what to do with any of these. I tried a variety of
different combinations plugging them into the rear of my reciever but
nothing came through.

I am a certifiable newbie that is clueless in bridging these two
systems together. any advice / assistance is very much appreciated.

Thanks -

Brian mc
Anonymous
April 21, 2005 7:26:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.home-theater.misc,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

In article <1113939912.388885.163690@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
briansmccabe@gmail.com says...
> Do I need a special kind of RCA cable to run from the ATI card to the
> back of my reciever to ensure that I am getting the full dolby
> soundtrack?
>
> Another question - my television is woefully outdated, and as such has
> only a COAX in jack on the back of it. Will this be a significant
> hinderance?
>
> thanks -
>
> Brian Mc

I assume you have some flavor of ATI Theater card if you are trying to
plug sound into it. I don't know what connectors they comes with, you
might try the manual at http://www.atitech.ca. I doubt it has a
connector for coaxial cable on it, you will need a converter, a VCR will
do. It is the worst way to send a video signal so you might consider
getting a TV with S-Video in.
--
_________________________
http://www.ramsays-online.com

Archived from groups: alt.home-theater.misc,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

I'm about where you are Brian. I have Yahoo launchcast radio going to
my receiver through a coax cable but it is a stereo signal. I wanted to
play my dvds on the computer and output to the video projection monitor
which I can do but the computer will not play all the DVDs. It might be
only the double layer DVDs that won't play,I'm not sure yet. Also the
projection monitor has a cable that runs back to the computer monitor
and seems to mess it up. I am going to write the company about this.
dan
!