Saving 'panorama' site as move?

Terry:

I can't tell you how to save this exact file to your PC, but I went to
the site you listed, saved each of the 7 *.jpg's from which it was
made, opened Ulead Cool 360 and created an *.mov file of 206 KB which
plays as a panorama in QuickTime 5, in about 10 minutes or less.

It is not perfect, as Cool 360 requires a 10-15% overlap between
photos. Thus it tries to overlap photos even when there is no overlap
area. The result is fuzzy areas at the "overlap" point between ech
pair of photos.

This problem could be eliminated easily, but would require a good bit
of extra effort. By opening all 7 photos in Photoshop or the like and
copying about 10% of the left side of the second photo onto the right
side of the first photo and repeating that process until you have
created a 10% overlap between each pair of photos,Cool 360 should give
you an exact replica of the panorama, now playable in Quicktime in a
very similar manner to the website panorama.

Be aware that each "adjusted" photo must be identical in size (width in
pixels) in order for Cool 360 to accept them.

Sony also has a program (which they used to sell to the public) which
had a similar capability, called Picture Gear. In more recent years
they have stopped the commercial sale (I paid $50) and it is now only
available on VAIO computers.

Sony's software played the panoramas with a proprietary Sony player,
but you were prohibited from distributing the player module to the
public, so you could only exhibit the panoramic *.jpg as a large flat
single image on a website. They also made plug-ins for IE and Netscape
browsers so that the program owner could play the Panoramas on his or
her other personal computers.....but once again, Sony prohibited the
use of the plug-ins on websites to allow visitors to actually play the
panoramas in their browsers.

Very smart (NOT!) business practice by Sony :-(

HTH

Mike

In article <4iaa61dc53ungeaetjrtkjfa69qkcgpcsb@4ax.com>,
terrypin@dial.pipex.com says...
> Subject: Saving 'panorama' site as move?
> From: Terry Pinnell <terrypin@dial.pipex.com>
> Newsgroups: rec.video.desktop
>
> Occasionally I come across 'panoramic' views such as these:
> http://www.nuttalls.com/articles/madeira/madeira-panorama.htm
> http://www.wherenow.net/117~90~61~368.html
> (BTW, that second one won't work in my Firefox browser - had to use
> IE.)
>
> Can one of the experts tell me how I can save these on my HD please?
>
> --
> Terry, West Sussex, UK

That looks to be a javascript app that is loading a number of jpegs. So
to make your own, look at the source of the web page and adjust it
accordingly or do a search for free panaramic javascripts. To save that
particular one I would say use one of the web site archiving programs
like Website Ripper Copier.
--
_________________________
http://www.ramsays-online.com

Chris Phillipo <cphillipo@ramsays-online.com> wrote:

>In article <4iaa61dc53ungeaetjrtkjfa69qkcgpcsb@4ax.com>,
>terrypin@dial.pipex.com says...
>> Subject: Saving 'panorama' site as move?
>> From: Terry Pinnell <terrypin@dial.pipex.com>
>> Newsgroups: rec.video.desktop
>>
>> Occasionally I come across 'panoramic' views such as these:
>> http://www.nuttalls.com/articles/madeira/madeira-panorama.htm
>> http://www.wherenow.net/117~90~61~368.html
>> (BTW, that second one won't work in my Firefox browser - had to use
>> IE.)
>>
>> Can one of the experts tell me how I can save these on my HD please?
>>
>> --
>> Terry, West Sussex, UK
>>

>That looks to be a javascript app that is loading a number of jpegs. So
>to make your own, look at the source of the web page and adjust it
>accordingly or do a search for free panaramic javascripts. To save that
>particular one I would say use one of the web site archiving programs
>like Website Ripper Copier.

Thanks both, I'll follow up those suggestions.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Those suggestions from Sandy and Chris were interesting, and I have
installed the trial of Website Ripper Copier. But I should have been
more explicit about what prompted my post.

I've just started making DVDs for family showing. Input is mainly my
JPG holiday photos, plus an MP3 sound track. The program is
MemoriesOnTV (not freeware). It can also support MPEG files, so that's
the format I want from any panoramas.

I was thinking along the lines of software 'equivalent' to that which
can save streaming audio, or anything I can listen to on my PC,
usually as a WAV file initially, so that I can then convert it to MP3
or WMA. I use GoldWave Editor, for example. Anyone know of a *video*
parallel of that 'capture' approach please? Sort of a dynamic version
of hitting PrintScrn to capture anything on the monitor <g>.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

In article <932c61tthn4h0cu62kufsl7n2mvo3f5a3g@4ax.com>,
terrypin@dial.pipex.com says...
> Subject: Re: Saving 'panorama' site as move?
> From: Terry Pinnell <terrypin@dial.pipex.com>
> Newsgroups: rec.video.desktop
>
> Those suggestions from Sandy and Chris were interesting, and I have
> installed the trial of Website Ripper Copier. But I should have been
> more explicit about what prompted my post.
>
> I've just started making DVDs for family showing. Input is mainly my
> JPG holiday photos, plus an MP3 sound track. The program is
> MemoriesOnTV (not freeware). It can also support MPEG files, so that's
> the format I want from any panoramas.
>
> I was thinking along the lines of software 'equivalent' to that which
> can save streaming audio, or anything I can listen to on my PC,
> usually as a WAV file initially, so that I can then convert it to MP3
> or WMA. I use GoldWave Editor, for example. Anyone know of a *video*
> parallel of that 'capture' approach please? Sort of a dynamic version
> of hitting PrintScrn to capture anything on the monitor <g>.
>
> --
> Terry, West Sussex, UK

Sounds like what you want to do is create a wide photo from multiple
photos and then use the pan effect of an NLE to make it apear as a pan
shot with a video camera.
--
_________________________
http://www.ramsays-online.com

Chris Phillipo <cphillipo@ramsays-online.com> wrote:

>Sounds like what you want to do is create a wide photo from multiple
>photos and then use the pan effect of an NLE to make it apear as a pan
>shot with a video camera.

What's NLE?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

NLE is a GREAT term for a Google search. <wink>

(the first link you'll see is: http://www.istudiostv.com/index.aspx)

C.

"C.J.Patten" <cjpatten@KNOWSPAMrogers.com> wrote:

>NLE is a GREAT term for a Google search. <wink>
>
>(the first link you'll see is: http://www.istudiostv.com/index.aspx)
>
>C.
>

>"Terry Pinnell" <terrypin@dial.pipex.com> wrote in message
>> Chris Phillipo <cphillipo@ramsays-online.com> wrote:
>>
>> What's NLE?

Thanks. So, is any particular Non Linear Editor program being
recommended for this task please? Ideally a freeware version?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

In article <52df61p0okj6mm29n95c8molpm2aqfkrll@4ax.com>,
terrypin@dial.pipex.com says...
> Subject: Re: Saving 'panorama' site as move?
> From: Terry Pinnell <terrypin@dial.pipex.com>
> Newsgroups: rec.video.desktop
>
> "C.J.Patten" <cjpatten@KNOWSPAMrogers.com> wrote:
>
> >NLE is a GREAT term for a Google search. <wink>
> >
> >(the first link you'll see is: http://www.istudiostv.com/index.aspx)
> >
> >C.
> >

> >"Terry Pinnell" <terrypin@dial.pipex.com> wrote in message
> >> Chris Phillipo <cphillipo@ramsays-online.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> What's NLE?
> >>

> Thanks. So, is any particular Non Linear Editor program being
> recommended for this task please? Ideally a freeware version?
>
> --
> Terry, West Sussex, UK

Some suggestions here
http://www.boulderdigitalarts.com/discussions/index.asp?
sub=show&action=posts&fid=2&tid=38

For more search google for "panoramic pan of still"
--
_________________________
http://www.ramsays-online.com

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 08:49:42 +0100, Terry Pinnell
<terrypin@dial.pipex.com> wrote:

>Anyone know of a *video*
>parallel of that 'capture' approach please? Sort of a dynamic version
>of hitting PrintScrn to capture anything on the monitor <g>.

There are several such. RiverPast Screen Recorder, Camtasia,
RenderSoft CamStudio...

Bariloche <bariloche@bariloche.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 08:49:42 +0100, Terry Pinnell
><terrypin@dial.pipex.com> wrote:
>
>>Anyone know of a *video*
>>parallel of that 'capture' approach please? Sort of a dynamic version
>>of hitting PrintScrn to capture anything on the monitor <g>.
>
>There are several such. RiverPast Screen Recorder, Camtasia,
>RenderSoft CamStudio...

Excellent, thanks.

For anyone else ending up here with a similar requirement, here are a
few initial details of what I found by following Bariloche's
suggestions.

RiverPast Screen Recorder: Downloaded trial.

Camtasia: Passed on that. No doubt would be great, but at USD300 way
out of my league.

CamStudio: Unfortunately the links I tried for that very promising
(free!)program all lead to
http://global.ehelp.com/CamStudio.exe
which gave a 404 Not Found error. The Rendersoft page
http://www.rendersoftware.com/
redirects me; "If you are looking for CamStudio, try RoboDemo from
Macromedia." Following the Robodemo link gets me to
http://www.macromedia.com/software/robodemo/
which tells me its name has been changed to Macromedia Captivate! So,
thrice removed from CamStudio, but what's in a name? Hmm - the answer
seems to be quite a lot! At 269UKP (about 500USD), I'll pass on that
too <g>. HOWEVER, happy ending, I did eventually find CamStudio 2.0
here:
http://www.swftools.com/download.php?type=win&tool=8162413051&src=local
and will try it soon.
BTW, at the page that linked me to CamStudio,
http://www.studiotools.co.uk/forum/topic.php?a=v&t=51&f=34&CODE=last
I also see this:
"CamStudio Lossless Codec
A codec optimized for screen capturing found at this site, it is a
direct download link (33Kb large).
http://membres.lycos.fr/sonicdiscovery/download/divers/camcodec.zip
Not sure if I will need it to get CamStudio working, but just in
case...
BTW, the parent page
http://membres.lycos.fr/sonicdiscovery/
is French. Anyone have an English version or translation please?
(Seem to recall I used to have a button in IE that let me translate
on-the-fly, albeit with iffy results? Can't find anything similar now
in Firefox.)

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK