gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

When our XP workstation is connected to the subnet via ethernet, Remote
Desktop Connection from a 2nd XP workstation (connected to the subnet
via ethernet) works fine. When the 1st workstation is connected to the
LAN via wireless, the 2nd workstation can't connect to the first.
However, the 1st workstation *can* connect to the 2nd. The router is a
Linksys WRT54G which is the internet gateway. Also, the 2nd workstation
is connected to a hub which connects to the WRT54G. We have the
firewalls turned off on both the XP workstations. The hub is actually a
router, being run as a hub. Any ideas?

Gary

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Ok, we tried that and we just replaced the that with a dumb hub, a four
port Netgear hub that has no routing capabilities whatsoever. Still
unable to connect when the 1st station is wireless. We also noticed
that other ports are closed when working wireless, like 24837 which
sends notes from one workstation to another. File sharing works fine,
however. We also plugged in a cardbus wireless network adapter; same
problem. This must be some problem with the router, but what?

Gary

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

hmmm, well we turned off dhcp in the router, assigned a fixed IP to the
wireless workstation and all works fine. Does this mean we have to
assign fixed IP's to *ALL* our machines? I reakon we'll play around
with this a little. Maybe propagation has something to do with it, I
really don't have a clue.

Gary

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

On the router you are using as a hub/switch, turn of DHCP and use only the
LAN ports (i.e. not the WAN or uplink port).
--

"gary" <gcarlson@wyoming.com> wrote in message
> When our XP workstation is connected to the subnet via ethernet, Remote
> Desktop Connection from a 2nd XP workstation (connected to the subnet
> via ethernet) works fine. When the 1st workstation is connected to the
> LAN via wireless, the 2nd workstation can't connect to the first.
> However, the 1st workstation *can* connect to the 2nd. The router is a
> Linksys WRT54G which is the internet gateway. Also, the 2nd workstation
> is connected to a hub which connects to the WRT54G. We have the
> firewalls turned off on both the XP workstations. The hub is actually a
> router, being run as a hub. Any ideas?
>
> Gary

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Yes, the wireless router. I assigned a fixed IP to the wireless
workstation and everything works. I can't understand why that is.
Having DHCP on doesn't bother that workstation, and we need DHCP for
our *guests*. It looks like we need to assign fixed IP to all permanent
workstations, though; I don't understand exactly why.

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

Which router are now referring to where you turned off the DHCP - the WRT54G
? It shouldn't be necessary to used fixed IP's.
--

> hmmm, well we turned off dhcp in the router, assigned a fixed IP to the
> wireless workstation and all works fine. Does this mean we have to
> assign fixed IP's to *ALL* our machines? I reakon we'll play around
> with this a little. Maybe propagation has something to do with it, I
> really don't have a clue.
>
> Gary

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

Gary,

I want to think about that a bit. You might try this compromise solution
though, and see what happens. Leave DHCP on in the router and assign a
static IP to the wireless workstation only (in the same subnet outside the
DHCP range of the router.) It should be interesting to see how that works.