Sony camcorder as webcam - timeout problem

Archived from groups: rec.video,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Hi all,

I'm using my TRV38 as a webcam, seems to work just fine so long as I keep it
"active". If you don't it times out after a few minutes. I don't know
exactly what the duration is but it does time out. I'm streaming to my
desktop via usb.

Does anyone know why it's doing this? I can't seem to find a menu option to
toggle the timeout either.

Thanks,

Kevin

Archived from groups: rec.video,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

It should stay on indefinitely if you don't keep a tape in it.

"Kevin" <kevin@xxvwkebxyz.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I'm using my TRV38 as a webcam, seems to work just fine so long as I keep
it
> "active". If you don't it times out after a few minutes. I don't know
> exactly what the duration is but it does time out. I'm streaming to my
> desktop via usb.
>
> Does anyone know why it's doing this? I can't seem to find a menu option
> toggle the timeout either.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kevin

Archived from groups: rec.video,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

That is the secret with all the Sony's I have worked with.
With a tape in it, it times out, no tape, it will stay on all
the time.

mikey

"PTravel" <ptravel@ruyitang.com> wrote in message
> It should stay on indefinitely if you don't keep a tape in it.
>
> "Kevin" <kevin@xxvwkebxyz.com> wrote in message
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm using my TRV38 as a webcam, seems to work just fine so long as I
keep
> it
> > "active". If you don't it times out after a few minutes. I don't know
> > exactly what the duration is but it does time out. I'm streaming to my
> > desktop via usb.
> >
> > Does anyone know why it's doing this? I can't seem to find a menu
option
> > toggle the timeout either.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Kevin

Archived from groups: rec.video,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Kevin,

> I'm using my TRV38 as a webcam, seems to work just fine so long as I
> keep it "active". If you don't it times out after a few minutes.

Removing the tape should prevent the camcorder from shutting off after 5
minutes or so.

You may also need to disable the "screensaver" mode in the menu options.

Anthony

Archived from groups: rec.video,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Thanks guys! looks like it's fixed.

BTW, do you have any recos on good webcam software? Something that I can
keep on for hours. So far I've only tested with AOL and MSN IM.

Thanks,

Kevin

"HerHusband" <unknown@unknown.com> wrote in message
> Kevin,
>
> > I'm using my TRV38 as a webcam, seems to work just fine so long as I
> > keep it "active". If you don't it times out after a few minutes.
>
> Removing the tape should prevent the camcorder from shutting off after 5
> minutes or so.
>
> You may also need to disable the "screensaver" mode in the menu options.
>
> Anthony

Archived from groups: rec.video,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Kevin,

> BTW, do you have any recos on good webcam software? Something that I can
> keep on for hours. So far I've only tested with AOL and MSN IM.

I haven't used my camcorder as a webcam, but I like "Scenalyzer Live" for
both regular capturing and time lapse work.

Anthony