iTunes song conversion for FCP?

After shooting a short video for a musician/singer who was in town for a
"meet the fans" kinda thing, I asked him what song of his he wanted under
his video. He told me the song...and I went to iTunes and bought "his" song,
and now I need to use it in Final Cut Pro to send the video back to the
musician for approval (not knowing iTunes wouldn't convert it for use in
FCP)

Now I have to find a way to convert it so I can use it in OS X with FCP.

Can anyone help me with this?

Steve Wills wrote:

> After shooting a short video for a musician/singer who was in town for a
> "meet the fans" kinda thing, I asked him what song of his he wanted under
> his video. He told me the song...and I went to iTunes and bought "his" song,
> and now I need to use it in Final Cut Pro to send the video back to the
> musician for approval (not knowing iTunes wouldn't convert it for use in
> FCP)
>
> Now I have to find a way to convert it so I can use it in OS X with FCP.
>
> Can anyone help me with this?

While In iTunes, right click on the song for the contextual menu.
You'll see "convert to WAV" or "convert to AIF". Select that one.

Preferably aif, but both will work.
-Richard

If iTunes can be used to make an Audio CD of the song, then you could
use your favorite ripping software create a format of the song that FCP
can use. Even though it is a time consuming method, it works pretty
well in the PC world.

Chris Phillipo wrote:
> In article <BE8D2239.C94C%steventv@insightbb.com>,
> steventv@insightbb.com says...
> > Subject: Re: iTunes song conversion for FCP?
> > From: Steve Wills <steventv@insightbb.com>
> > Newsgroups: rec.video.desktop
> >
> > It seems since it is a "protected" song this will not work...any
other
> > suggestions?
> >

> There are many non legal ways to do it, you'll have to search google.
> don't think what you want to do is technically legal even if it's not

> for profit. If this song is actually owned by the artist in question

> you should try to get it by more direct means.
> --
> _________________________
> Chris Phillipo - Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
> http://www.ramsays-online.com

It seems since it is a "protected" song this will not work...any other
suggestions?

On 4/20/05 6:26 PM, in article
oGA9e.3663$J12.2033@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com, "Richard Ragon"
<bsema04@hananho.com> wrote:

> Steve Wills wrote:
>
>> After shooting a short video for a musician/singer who was in town for a
>> "meet the fans" kinda thing, I asked him what song of his he wanted under
>> his video. He told me the song...and I went to iTunes and bought "his" song,
>> and now I need to use it in Final Cut Pro to send the video back to the
>> musician for approval (not knowing iTunes wouldn't convert it for use in
>> FCP)
>>
>> Now I have to find a way to convert it so I can use it in OS X with FCP.
>>
>> Can anyone help me with this?
>
> While In iTunes, right click on the song for the contextual menu.
> You'll see "convert to WAV" or "convert to AIF". Select that one.
>
> Preferably aif, but both will work.
> -Richard

I'm not a MAC guy. I'm sure you could find something to use at the
cnet.com download site.

In article <BE8D2239.C94C%steventv@insightbb.com>,
steventv@insightbb.com says...
> Subject: Re: iTunes song conversion for FCP?
> From: Steve Wills <steventv@insightbb.com>
> Newsgroups: rec.video.desktop
>
> It seems since it is a "protected" song this will not work...any other
> suggestions?

There are many non legal ways to do it, you'll have to search google. I
don't think what you want to do is technically legal even if it's not
for profit. If this song is actually owned by the artist in question
you should try to get it by more direct means.
--
_________________________
http://www.ramsays-online.com

Normally I would agree completely...but...this video IS for the artist who
told me to get it from iTunes and use it. He obviously didn't know I
couldn't convert it either.

On 4/21/05 11:31 AM, in article MPG.1cd19f55cfd7fac598a99c@news.eastlink.ca,
"Chris Phillipo" <cphillipo@ramsays-online.com> wrote:

> In article <BE8D2239.C94C%steventv@insightbb.com>,
> steventv@insightbb.com says...
>> Subject: Re: iTunes song conversion for FCP?
>> From: Steve Wills <steventv@insightbb.com>
>> Newsgroups: rec.video.desktop
>>
>> It seems since it is a "protected" song this will not work...any other
>> suggestions?
>>

> There are many non legal ways to do it, you'll have to search google. I
> don't think what you want to do is technically legal even if it's not
> for profit. If this song is actually owned by the artist in question
> you should try to get it by more direct means.

What's the best program to use with OS X for ripping?
Have any suggestions?

On 4/21/05 12:01 PM, in article
1114099266.774481.65790@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com, "h2oski64"

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 18:01:35 GMT, Steve Wills <steventv@insightbb.com>
wrote in rec.video.desktop:

>What's the best program to use with OS X for ripping?
>Have any suggestions?

What kind of ripping?
For ripping streams I hear AudioHijack is pretty good.
For ripping CDs... good question. Toast can do it. Or CDRtools (I
think it's called). You'll need Fink to download that.

I'm sure there's others. Check <http://www.versiontracker.com>.

--

dwaes /at hetnet /dot nl

Going too far
WE don't go too far!
None of us will go too far...
Maybe sometimes we WENT too far
But now WE WON'T!
Because we're real nice guys!

In article <BE8D6236.C970%steventv@insightbb.com>,
steventv@insightbb.com says...
> Subject: Re: iTunes song conversion for FCP?
> From: Steve Wills <steventv@insightbb.com>
> Newsgroups: rec.video.desktop
>
> Normally I would agree completely...but...this video IS for the artist who
> told me to get it from iTunes and use it. He obviously didn't know I
> couldn't convert it either.

I think itunes song's bitrate is only 128 anyway, better to pull it off
a CD if you can.
--
http://www.ramsays-online.com

Thanks everyone...Audio Highjack did the trick!

On 4/22/05 8:36 AM, in article MPG.1cd2c805247eab1998a99e@news.eastlink.ca,