Unable to establish home network

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
November 9, 2004 8:08:05 PM

I have two desktop computers, both with Windows XP. Signal comes from cable
to a wireless router which is hard-wired to one computer and wireless (USB-G)
to the other. Both access internet OK. Both will ping router IP, and wireless
IP, and neither will ping hard-wired IP address. Folders on both computers
are set to allow file sharing. Procedure for setting up home network in My
Network Places seems to work OK. However, the network doesn’t work. In “My
Network�, I see the wireless folders from the wireless computer, but from the
hard-wired computer, I see only “My Web sites on MSN�. In “View Network
Computers� error message suggests that I may not have access permission, but
I don’t have any passwords set on either computer. Two months ago the home
network worked OK, and I don’t know what’s changed.

Thanks for any help.

Bob
RDB1306@aol.com
November 9, 2004 10:02:47 PM

Bob in DE wrote:

> I have two desktop computers, both with Windows XP. Signal comes from
> cable to a wireless router which is hard-wired to one computer and
> wireless (USB-G) to the other. Both access internet OK. Both will ping
> router IP, and wireless IP, and neither will ping hard-wired IP
> address. Folders on both computers are set to allow file sharing.
> Procedure for setting up home network in My
> Network Places seems to work OK. However, the network doesn?t work.
> In ?My Network?, I see the wireless folders from the wireless
> computer, but from the
> hard-wired computer, I see only ?My Web sites on MSN?. In ?View
> Network Computers? error message suggests that I may not have access
> permission, but I don?t have any passwords set on either computer. Two
> months ago the home network worked OK, and I don?t know what?s
> changed.

If either of your computers is SP2, look in the Windows Firewall
configuration and make sure the lan is permitted. It sounds like you
have a firewall preventing you from connecting.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers

You're welcome to email me at carey@careyholzman.com if you would like to
work this through one-on-one in email...

Carey

"Bob in DE" <Bob in DE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> I have two desktop computers, both with Windows XP. Signal comes from
> cable
> to a wireless router which is hard-wired to one computer and wireless
> (USB-G)
> to the other. Both access internet OK. Both will ping router IP, and
> wireless
> IP, and neither will ping hard-wired IP address. Folders on both computers
> are set to allow file sharing. Procedure for setting up home network in My
> Network Places seems to work OK. However, the network doesn't work. In
> "My
> Network", I see the wireless folders from the wireless computer, but from
> the
> hard-wired computer, I see only "My Web sites on MSN". In "View Network
> Computers" error message suggests that I may not have access permission,
> but
> I don't have any passwords set on either computer. Two months ago the home
> network worked OK, and I don't know what's changed.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Bob
> RDB1306@aol.com

November 14, 2004 7:44:05 PM

I'm having the exact same problem, and no amount of playing in the Firewall
settings has availed anything. Is there something specific I need to do
within the firewall settings to make it all work? It's so frustrating!

James

!