Best experiences with Internet buying for a camera - pleas..

I know all the problems re warranties grey markets etc and cross border
buying BUT...if I was to buy a camera or any other video equipment - ie
semi pro PD170 etc ...

(1) where would someone suggest ... ie they had a good experiences
(2) Are there good "price grabber" type sites that will hunt down good
prices

Thanks in advance

I tend to buy from either B&H Photo or Adorama in NY. Adorama tends to
backorder a bit more on my orders than B&H. I've bought from a few others.
Worse was nothing showed up on a camera body from one. Lost $350 on that
one (check). Got prior used from another.
There was a website where someone rode around NY and posted pictures of the
shops that you see the ads. It was very interesting and left you to draw
your own conclusions.

Found it: http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/

Mack

"Steven H" <steven@sounddevelopment.com> wrote in message
> I know all the problems re warranties grey markets etc and cross border
> buying BUT...if I was to buy a camera or any other video equipment - ie
> semi pro PD170 etc ...
>
> (1) where would someone suggest ... ie they had a good experiences
> (2) Are there good "price grabber" type sites that will hunt down good
> prices

There's an easy answer: B&H (www.bhphotovideo.com). B&H has the absolute
best reputation for honesty and reliability. They won't have the absolute
rock bottom price, but they also won't try to upsell you, sell gray market
as US, used as new, included accessories as optional extras, etc. I've
bought many thousands of dollars worth of video and photo equipment from
them (including my VX2000, the prosumer predecessor of the PD-170).

I've had good experiences with Adorama and J&R, as well, but the all time
standout is B&H -- they're the best.

> Thanks in advance

"Steven H" wrote ...
> I know all the problems re warranties grey markets etc and cross border
> buying BUT...if I was to buy a camera or any other video equipment - ie
> semi pro PD170 etc ...
>
> (1) where would someone suggest ... ie they had a good experiences
> (2) Are there good "price grabber" type sites that will hunt down good
> prices

There are ratings services like http://www.resellerratings.com/
and others. I think at least resellerratings and a couple others are
trustworthy.

My "go-to" online/mailorder vendor is www.bhphotovideo.com
Most others have said good things about them, but there is the
occasional disgruntled customer that comes through here who is
unhappy with their brusque New York personality, etc.

I find www.froogle.com convienent for comparing prices, but
usually the lowest-price vendors are ones I would think twice
about dealing with.