DVD playback promlems on laptop

dixie

Distinguished
May 15, 2004

I want to make slideshows of still images in DVD format that I can then
play on my laptop and play thru the digital projector for
presentations. The DVDs that I made play well on TV and on my desktop.
However the laptop playback is not good. The transitions that zoom or
pan across image play choppy, rest of show plays okay. Music plays
okay. Plays okay on the PC, plays fine on my TV with DVD player.

I just upgraded the RAM on Laptop to 768M, didn't help.
Laptop is 1 1/2 years old, Dell inspiron 5100.
2.66 MHZ
30 G HD
Pen 4

Player used on Laptop: intervideo Win DVD4

I could buy software for another DVD player for laptop, looks like
Power DVD6 is a good one. Would like to have some input before I keeo
buying things I don't need.

If anyone can help or knows of a forum with this kind of info, please
answer.

Thanks...Dixie

Naw, it's likely not the software. I'm running Intervideo WinDVD 5 - came
with my HP notebook. (3.2GHz P4 - pretty much the same as yours - I can't
tell the difference between a 2.4 and 3.4 GHz P4!)

I'd recommend tweaking the WinDVD settings - there are a few I recall that
really messed with playback on my machine. Something like "real-time colour
acceleration" (don't remember the exact name). Also tweak your video card
settings.

There are a lot of things that can affect playback - exhaust all options -
go to a professional computer shop if you have to - before investing in new
software or hardware.

C.

"dixie" <Carolro@msn.com> wrote in message
>I want to make slideshows of still images in DVD format that I can then
> play on my laptop and play thru the digital projector for
> presentations. The DVDs that I made play well on TV and on my desktop.
> However the laptop playback is not good. The transitions that zoom or
> pan across image play choppy, rest of show plays okay. Music plays
> okay. Plays okay on the PC, plays fine on my TV with DVD player.
>
> I just upgraded the RAM on Laptop to 768M, didn't help.
> Laptop is 1 1/2 years old, Dell inspiron 5100.
> 2.66 MHZ
> 30 G HD
> Pen 4
>
> Player used on Laptop: intervideo Win DVD4
>
> I could buy software for another DVD player for laptop, looks like
> Power DVD6 is a good one. Would like to have some input before I keeo
> buying things I don't need.
>
> If anyone can help or knows of a forum with this kind of info, please
> answer.
>
> Thanks...Dixie

dixie

Distinguished
May 15, 2004

I did do a bit of tweaking on the WINDVD settings after reading your
reply. Unchecked the hardware color acceleration and hardware decode
acceleration. There is a 90% improvement. Looks like the software
cannot handle the goose the accelerations provide. There is another
adjustment concerning the IDE channels, both channels now say use DMA
if possible. Guess I should play with those next. And the video card,
I don't know how to access these settings.

It plays well enough for me to make a small presentation thru the
laptop. But to play thru to a digital projector to a room full of
people, I want it as smooth as silk.

Thanks for your help....I sure appreciate it.

Dixie

Hey! You're welcome! Glad you saw such a big improvement.
When I read your post, it sounded eerily familiar so it just fit to mention
those settings.

You might try WinDVD 5 though it didn't really do much for me. No
improvement in quality on my laptop, just a few new features, as best as I
can tell. (WinDVD 4 played fine on my notebook)

Some other things to check:

- firmware upgrade on your DVD drive
- run Windows Update
- find any specialized "Dell Update" software that came with your computer
and run it; the HP updater on my notebook actually found things to update
that Windows Update *didn't* 8O
- terminate any background tasks that aren't absolutely required. (check
your startup folder to make sure nothing's loading without your knowledge
too)
- disable internet, virus, spyware and adware checking software (they
regularly "peek" at things going on - might be causing your DVD to stutter,
though I find it unlikely) Remember to turn this all back on before you
reconnect to the net

BTW: I just completed a music video (live event, multicamera with
subtractive dissolves between cuts), and on the notebook it looks, well,
awful! Chunky chunky chunky.

Output via SVIDEO to a TV (from the notebook): GORGEOUS.

Just illustrates the necessity to tailor output settings for the intended
display.
This was interlaced footage for television use and it shows when played on a
progressive screen.

Any chance that's what's causing your problems on the notebook screen? If
you have video out, try outputting to a TV or projector.

C.J.