XP VPN connection changes to Dial-Up connection after wizard

May 15, 2005 5:12:43 PM

I seem to be having a problem creating a VPN connection from my laptop.
I suspect there is some sort of registry setting that isnt allowing me
to do this but I cant seem to find it. The laptop goes through the "New
Connection Wizard" just fine using the steps to create a VPN connection
but once the wizard is completed the connection turns into a Dial-Up
connection no longer a VPN.

Thanks
Jeremy
May 15, 2005 7:58:14 PM

If you look at the properties of the VPN dialer you will notice a check box
for "Dial another connection first". Make sure there is no checkmark there.
--
Pavel

"VPNless" <logsdonj@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I seem to be having a problem creating a VPN connection from my laptop.
> I suspect there is some sort of registry setting that isnt allowing me
> to do this but I cant seem to find it. The laptop goes through the "New
> Connection Wizard" just fine using the steps to create a VPN connection
> but once the wizard is completed the connection turns into a Dial-Up
> connection no longer a VPN.
>
> Thanks
> Jeremy

Anonymous
May 15, 2005 10:44:03 PM

The connection is not listed as VPN connection. It is listed as a
"Dial-Up" connection so it does not have that option in the properties.
I have deleted this connection and gone through the wizard several
times. On the first screen I choose "Connect to the network at my
workplace". On the second screen I choose "Virtual Private Network
connection". I enter the company name. I then choose "Do not dial the
initial connection". In the host name I enter vpn.xxxxx.com. I select
"Do not use my smart card". Then "My use only". Finally Finish.

Now the connection opens up to be connected to but its a "Dial-Up"
connection, and it is trying to use the host (vpn.xxxx.com) name as the
number to dial. I cant figure out why it goes all the way through the
wizard than decides to change to Dial-Up.
May 16, 2005 12:36:58 PM

This is not right. Something is wrong there but I can not help you with this
since I do not know. Hope that someone reading this can help.

--

!