Lip sync and mic input volume help

Archived from groups: rec.video.production,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Hi,

Soon will have to take a guy out ino the country to video him singing
(lipsyncing) a song.

What is the best way to do this making sure in the edit it will sync?

1. Have a ghetto blaster behind a bush so he can hear it not caring what
audio goes onto tape?

2. Connect a CD to the audio input of camera as well as using ghetto
blaster so he can hear it too?

Other ?

Also.. On a camera without sound input control, is there a mini pre amp
one can connect the mic too and control vol b4 the camera input?

Thanks..

Rock
6 answers Last reply
More about sync input volume help
  1. Archived from groups: rec.video.production,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    "Rock" <1940@pobox.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Soon will have to take a guy out ino the country to video him singing
    > (lipsyncing) a song.
    >
    > What is the best way to do this making sure in the edit it will sync?
    >
    > 1. Have a ghetto blaster behind a bush so he can hear it not caring what
    > audio goes onto tape?

    That's the way it's done. You can record the ghetto blaster audio on the
    camera ifyou want -- it will make it a little easier to sync up when you
    edit because you can match the recorded wave forms with the wave forms from
    the clean audio track that you'll use.

    > 2. Connect a CD to the audio input of camera as well as using ghetto
    > blaster so he can hear it too?
    >
    > Other ?
    >
    > Also.. On a camera without sound input control, is there a mini pre amp
    > one can connect the mic too and control vol b4 the camera input?
    >
    > Thanks..
    >

    > Rock
  2. Archived from groups: rec.video.production,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    "Rock" wrote ...
    > Soon will have to take a guy out ino the country to video him singing
    > (lipsyncing) a song.
    >
    > What is the best way to do this making sure in the edit it will sync?
    >
    > 1. Have a ghetto blaster behind a bush so he can hear it not caring what
    > audio goes onto tape?
    >
    > 2. Connect a CD to the audio input of camera as well as using ghetto
    > blaster so he can hear it too?

    You're on the right track that you need to record the playback
    track (no pun intended.) As Ptravel mentioned, better to have a
    direct input to make it easier to match. Clearly, either way you
    need to let the "talent" hear the tracks also.

    > Other ?

    I'd certainly shoot the whole thing at least 3-4 times all the way
    through at various locations, framings, angles, etc. If for no other
    reason than to give yourself cutaway options in editing to cover
    less desirable things you'd rather not have in the final cut.

    > Also.. On a camera without sound input control, is there a mini pre amp
    > one can connect the mic too and control vol b4 the camera input?

    If the camera doesn't have "sound input control", then it has
    automatic-level and no outboard device can undo the effect
    of that automatic process.

    > Thanks..
    >

    > Rock

  3. Archived from groups: rec.video.production,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    "Rock" <1940@pobox.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Soon will have to take a guy out ino the country to video him singing
    > (lipsyncing) a song.
    >
    > What is the best way to do this making sure in the edit it will sync?
    >
    > 1. Have a ghetto blaster behind a bush so he can hear it not caring what
    > audio goes onto tape?
    >
    > 2. Connect a CD to the audio input of camera as well as using ghetto
    > blaster so he can hear it too?
    >
    > Other ?
    >
    > Also.. On a camera without sound input control, is there a mini pre amp
    > one can connect the mic too and control vol b4 the camera input?
    >
    > Thanks..
    >

    > Rock

    One suggestion I have is to let the talent actually sing along with the
    music. This makes it easier for them to keep in sync, easier for you to
    find a sync if it's gone out, and it makes it look like they are really
    singing.

    You can tell when someone is singing and when they are not. And it's a dead
    give-away on music video's.
    Tom P.
  4. Archived from groups: rec.video.production,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    Would you want to sample some of the ambient sound of the country to mix
    with the cd audio, so that it doesn't sound too "studio"?

    Rock wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Soon will have to take a guy out ino the country to video him singing
    > (lipsyncing) a song.
    >
    > What is the best way to do this making sure in the edit it will sync?
    >
    > 1. Have a ghetto blaster behind a bush so he can hear it not caring what
    > audio goes onto tape?
    >
    > 2. Connect a CD to the audio input of camera as well as using ghetto
    > blaster so he can hear it too?
    >
    > Other ?
    >
    > Also.. On a camera without sound input control, is there a mini pre amp
    > one can connect the mic too and control vol b4 the camera input?
    >
    > Thanks..
    >

    > Rock
  5. Archived from groups: rec.video.production,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    "Rock" <1940@pobox.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Soon will have to take a guy out ino the country to video him singing
    > (lipsyncing) a song.
    >
    > What is the best way to do this making sure in the edit it will sync?
    >
    > 1. Have a ghetto blaster behind a bush so he can hear it not caring what
    > audio goes onto tape?
    >
    > 2. Connect a CD to the audio input of camera as well as using ghetto
    > blaster so he can hear it too?
    >
    > Other ?
    >
    > Also.. On a camera without sound input control, is there a mini pre amp
    > one can connect the mic too and control vol b4 the camera input?
    >
    > Thanks..
    >

    > Rock

    I don't know if this got posted last time or not so please forgive me if
    this is repeated.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    One more thing: Please ask the talent to actually sing. This does a couple
    of things - first off, it's easier to sing in sync with a song if you are
    singing. Second, it helps you make sure the talent is using the right
    shapes for his lips. Third, you can tell if someone is really singing or
    not and it looks really fake when they don't actually sing.

    Tom P.
  6. Archived from groups: rec.video.production,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    Thank you guys so much for all your help..

    It is all very helpful and will be utilized when we go out in a couple
    of weeks.

    Rock

    Rock wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Soon will have to take a guy out ino the country to video him singing
    > (lipsyncing) a song.
    >
    > What is the best way to do this making sure in the edit it will sync?
    >
    > 1. Have a ghetto blaster behind a bush so he can hear it not caring what
    > audio goes onto tape?
    >
    > 2. Connect a CD to the audio input of camera as well as using ghetto
    > blaster so he can hear it too?
    >
    > Other ?
    >
    > Also.. On a camera without sound input control, is there a mini pre amp
    > one can connect the mic too and control vol b4 the camera input?
    >
    > Thanks..
    >

    > Rock

Tuner Cards Connection Cameras Video Graphics