Using RDP - XP Pro with remote Windows 2000

Hi,
I've looked through previous posts to find out how I can access a Windows
2000 machine remotely from an XP Professional machine, and came up with a
reference to the following document but I wondered if there is a way to do
this without using NetMeeting?
The document that was referenced is:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q233175&

thanks,
rhs
3 answers Last reply
More about using remote windows 2000

    UltraVNC is another option. Use the encryption plug-in if this is used over the public internet or
    run it through a SSH or VPN tunnel.

    http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/

    Windows 2000 Terminal Services help...

    http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?query=terminal+services&catalog=LCID%3D1033&spid=1131&qryWt=&mode=r&cus=False

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    "RHS" <RHS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I've looked through previous posts to find out how I can access a Windows
    > 2000 machine remotely from an XP Professional machine, and came up with a
    > reference to the following document but I wondered if there is a way to do
    > this without using NetMeeting?
    > The document that was referenced is:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q233175&
    >
    > thanks,
    > rhs

    Will terminal services work on Windows 2000 Server only?
    Not the Workstation version of Win2k?

    "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:

    > UltraVNC is another option. Use the encryption plug-in if this is used over the public internet or
    > run it through a SSH or VPN tunnel.
    >
    > http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/
    >
    > Windows 2000 Terminal Services help...
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?query=terminal+services&catalog=LCID%3D1033&spid=1131&qryWt=&mode=r&cus=False
    >
    > --
    >
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > "RHS" <RHS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > > I've looked through previous posts to find out how I can access a Windows
    > > 2000 machine remotely from an XP Professional machine, and came up with a
    > > reference to the following document but I wondered if there is a way to do
    > > this without using NetMeeting?
    > > The document that was referenced is:
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q233175&
    > >
    > > thanks,
    > > rhs

    If you are running the workstation version of W2K then you need to look at UltraVNC (or some other
    flavor of VNC) or the NetMeeting solution... I don't know if you can install Terminal Server on a
    W2K workstation. You may need a W2K Server for that. Personally I don't use either version of W2K...

    --

    > Will terminal services work on Windows 2000 Server only?
    > Not the Workstation version of Win2k?
    >
    > "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> UltraVNC is another option. Use the encryption plug-in if this is used over the public internet
    >> or
    >> run it through a SSH or VPN tunnel.
    >>
    >> http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/
    >>
    >> Windows 2000 Terminal Services help...
    >>
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?query=terminal+services&catalog=LCID%3D1033&spid=1131&qryWt=&mode=r&cus=False
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    >> "RHS" <RHS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hi,
    >> > I've looked through previous posts to find out how I can access a Windows
    >> > 2000 machine remotely from an XP Professional machine, and came up with a
    >> > reference to the following document but I wondered if there is a way to do
    >> > this without using NetMeeting?
    >> > The document that was referenced is:
    >> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q233175&
    >> >
    >> > thanks,