Using RDP - XP Pro with remote Windows 2000

May 16, 2005 12:21:06 PM

Hi,
I've looked through previous posts to find out how I can access a Windows
2000 machine remotely from an XP Professional machine, and came up with a
reference to the following document but I wondered if there is a way to do
this without using NetMeeting?
The document that was referenced is:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q233175&

thanks,
rhs
Anonymous
May 16, 2005 2:49:04 PM

UltraVNC is another option. Use the encryption plug-in if this is used over the public internet or
run it through a SSH or VPN tunnel.

http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/

Windows 2000 Terminal Services help...

http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?query=...

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"RHS" <RHS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I've looked through previous posts to find out how I can access a Windows
> 2000 machine remotely from an XP Professional machine, and came up with a
> reference to the following document but I wondered if there is a way to do
> this without using NetMeeting?
> The document that was referenced is:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q233175&
>
> thanks,
> rhs
Anonymous
May 16, 2005 2:49:05 PM

Will terminal services work on Windows 2000 Server only?
Not the Workstation version of Win2k?

"Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:

> UltraVNC is another option. Use the encryption plug-in if this is used over the public internet or
> run it through a SSH or VPN tunnel.
>
> http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/
>
> Windows 2000 Terminal Services help...
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?query=...
>
> --
>
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> "RHS" <RHS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > I've looked through previous posts to find out how I can access a Windows
> > 2000 machine remotely from an XP Professional machine, and came up with a
> > reference to the following document but I wondered if there is a way to do
> > this without using NetMeeting?
> > The document that was referenced is:
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q233175&
> >
> > thanks,
> > rhs

Anonymous
May 16, 2005 4:12:41 PM

If you are running the workstation version of W2K then you need to look at UltraVNC (or some other
flavor of VNC) or the NetMeeting solution... I don't know if you can install Terminal Server on a
W2K workstation. You may need a W2K Server for that. Personally I don't use either version of W2K...

--

!