Question on ports and Remote Desktop web access

May 16, 2005 3:10:18 PM

I'm able to connect to the host using the remote desktop client program.
I've installed the remote desktop web access, and when I try to access
through the browser, I get the login page, but it hangs after that. I get
an error message saying it cannot connect, the computer might be too busy,
etc.

The only thing I can think of is a port-forwarding problem. I have
forwarded port 80. But the documentation says I also need to forward port
3389. The problem is that I have modified the port on the host to use 3392
rather than 3389 (I have several computers connected to the same router).
Could this be the problem? Right now, 3389 is being forwarded to another
computer.

Thanks for any help.
Anonymous
May 16, 2005 4:15:37 PM

Jeffrey Randow, MS-MVP, has a default.htm file that will allow you to do that dynamically. This
replaces the default.htm file on the IIS host PC.

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com/LinkClick.aspx?l...

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Tim Wentworth" <twentworth@houston.rr.com> wrote in message
> I'm able to connect to the host using the remote desktop client program. I've installed the remote
> desktop web access, and when I try to access through the browser, I get the login page, but it
> hangs after that. I get an error message saying it cannot connect, the computer might be too
> busy, etc.
>
> The only thing I can think of is a port-forwarding problem. I have forwarded port 80. But the
> documentation says I also need to forward port 3389. The problem is that I have modified the port
> on the host to use 3392 rather than 3389 (I have several computers connected to the same router).
> Could this be the problem? Right now, 3389 is being forwarded to another computer.
>
> Thanks for any help.

Anonymous
May 16, 2005 5:16:19 PM

Thanks. I have downloaded and installed that file, and it looks like it
might work, but...

I'm now having a problem with the ActiveX control. It won't install on
either of the computers I'm using - one is a Windows 2000, the other is XP
Professional. I've already tried manually downloading and installing the
Remote Desktop ActiveX control from Microsoft, but it still tries to
download every time I try to connect (and fails). What's the trick to this?
Both computers are running Symantec AntiVirus - could that be preventing the
installation?

> Jeffrey Randow, MS-MVP, has a default.htm file that will allow you to do
> that dynamically. This replaces the default.htm file on the IIS host PC.
>
> http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com/LinkClick.aspx?l...
>
> --
>
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> benefit of all of us...
> rights...
>

> "Tim Wentworth" <twentworth@houston.rr.com> wrote in message
>> I'm able to connect to the host using the remote desktop client program.
>> I've installed the remote desktop web access, and when I try to access
>> through the browser, I get the login page, but it hangs after that. I
>> get an error message saying it cannot connect, the computer might be too
>> busy, etc.
>>
>> The only thing I can think of is a port-forwarding problem. I have
>> forwarded port 80. But the documentation says I also need to forward
>> port 3389. The problem is that I have modified the port on the host to
>> use 3392 rather than 3389 (I have several computers connected to the same
>> router). Could this be the problem? Right now, 3389 is being forwarded
>> to another computer.
>>
>> Thanks for any help.

May 16, 2005 5:34:42 PM

OK - more information on the ActiveX problem. The ActiveX control will
still not install from my host computer. However, I went to a
publically-available computer
(http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com/tsweb), and the ActiveX downloaded
and installed perfectly. So, my problem is not with the client computers
not installing the control, but with the host computer not properly
"serving" it - if that makes sense. Any idea how to solve this problem?

BTW, now that the ActiveX control is installed on one of my computers, the
new "default.htm" file works perfectly.

> Thanks. I have downloaded and installed that file, and it looks like it
> might work, but...
>
> I'm now having a problem with the ActiveX control. It won't install on
> either of the computers I'm using - one is a Windows 2000, the other is XP
> Professional. I've already tried manually downloading and installing the
> Remote Desktop ActiveX control from Microsoft, but it still tries to
> download every time I try to connect (and fails). What's the trick to
> this? Both computers are running Symantec AntiVirus - could that be
> preventing the installation?
>
> "Sooner Al [MVP]" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
>> Jeffrey Randow, MS-MVP, has a default.htm file that will allow you to do
>> that dynamically. This replaces the default.htm file on the IIS host PC.
>>
>> http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com/LinkClick.aspx?l...
>>
>> --
>>
>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

>> benefit of all of us...
>> rights...
>>

>> "Tim Wentworth" <twentworth@houston.rr.com> wrote in message
>>> I'm able to connect to the host using the remote desktop client program.
>>> I've installed the remote desktop web access, and when I try to access
>>> through the browser, I get the login page, but it hangs after that. I
>>> get an error message saying it cannot connect, the computer might be too
>>> busy, etc.
>>>
>>> The only thing I can think of is a port-forwarding problem. I have
>>> forwarded port 80. But the documentation says I also need to forward
>>> port 3389. The problem is that I have modified the port on the host to
>>> use 3392 rather than 3389 (I have several computers connected to the
>>> same router). Could this be the problem? Right now, 3389 is being
>>> forwarded to another computer.
>>>
>>> Thanks for any help.

Anonymous
May 16, 2005 7:07:05 PM

Well, I don't have an answer simply because I don't use the web based method. I guess its possible
something in IIS is not setup/configured/installed correctly since the ActiveX component comes from
the IIS server as you noted... With that said you might look at these pages for possible help...

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/tools/rdwe...

http://dev.remotenetworktechnology.com/ts/fixmsrdp.htm

Watch the line wrap in this last one...

http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=ActiveX+control+...:*.work_remotely&start=0&scoring=d&num=10&hl=en&lr=&as_drrb=q&as_mind=1&as_minm=1&as_miny=1981&as_maxd=16&as_maxm=5&as_maxy=2005&safe=off&

Good luck...

--

> OK - more information on the ActiveX problem. The ActiveX control will still not install from my
> host computer. However, I went to a publically-available computer
> (http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com/tsweb), and the ActiveX downloaded and installed
> perfectly. So, my problem is not with the client computers not installing the control, but with
> the host computer not properly "serving" it - if that makes sense. Any idea how to solve this
> problem?
>
> BTW, now that the ActiveX control is installed on one of my computers, the new "default.htm" file
> works perfectly.
>

> "Tim Wentworth" <twentworth@houston.rr.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks. I have downloaded and installed that file, and it looks like it might work, but...
>>
>> I'm now having a problem with the ActiveX control. It won't install on either of the computers
>> I'm using - one is a Windows 2000, the other is XP Professional. I've already tried manually
>> downloading and installing the Remote Desktop ActiveX control from Microsoft, but it still tries
>> to download every time I try to connect (and fails). What's the trick to this? Both computers
>> are running Symantec AntiVirus - could that be preventing the installation?
>>
>> "Sooner Al [MVP]" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
>>> Jeffrey Randow, MS-MVP, has a default.htm file that will allow you to do that dynamically. This
>>> replaces the default.htm file on the IIS host PC.
>>>
>>> http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com/LinkClick.aspx?l...
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
>>>
>>> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual benefit of all of us...
>>> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights...
>>>

>>> "Tim Wentworth" <twentworth@houston.rr.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
May 16, 2005 10:57:48 PM

Thanks for the links. Unfortunately, I've worked through all the
suggestions with no luck. The interesting thing is that this happens on two
separate host computers that are set up (slightly) differently. I can't
imagine what the problem might be. In any event, I think the easiest
solution is to bookmark the http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com/tsweb
page, then any time I'm on a new computer that needs the ActiveX control, I
go there first and download it, which only takes a few seconds.

> Well, I don't have an answer simply because I don't use the web based
> method. I guess its possible something in IIS is not
> setup/configured/installed correctly since the ActiveX component comes
> from the IIS server as you noted... With that said you might look at these
> pages for possible help...
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/tools/rdwe...
>
> http://dev.remotenetworktechnology.com/ts/fixmsrdp.htm
>
> Watch the line wrap in this last one...
>
> http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=ActiveX+control+...:*.work_remotely&start=0&scoring=d&num=10&hl=en&lr=&as_drrb=q&as_mind=1&as_minm=1&as_miny=1981&as_maxd=16&as_maxm=5&as_maxy=2005&safe=off&
>
> Good luck...
>
> --
>
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> benefit of all of us...
> rights...
>

> "Tim Wentworth" <twentworth@houston.rr.com> wrote in message
>> OK - more information on the ActiveX problem. The ActiveX control will
>> still not install from my host computer. However, I went to a
>> publically-available computer
>> (http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com/tsweb), and the ActiveX
>> downloaded and installed perfectly. So, my problem is not with the
>> client computers not installing the control, but with the host computer
>> not properly "serving" it - if that makes sense. Any idea how to solve
>> this problem?
>>
>> BTW, now that the ActiveX control is installed on one of my computers,
>> the new "default.htm" file works perfectly.
>>

>> "Tim Wentworth" <twentworth@houston.rr.com> wrote in message
>>> Thanks. I have downloaded and installed that file, and it looks like it
>>> might work, but...
>>>
>>> I'm now having a problem with the ActiveX control. It won't install on
>>> either of the computers I'm using - one is a Windows 2000, the other is
>>> XP Professional. I've already tried manually downloading and installing
>>> the Remote Desktop ActiveX control from Microsoft, but it still tries to
>>> download every time I try to connect (and fails). What's the trick to
>>> this? Both computers are running Symantec AntiVirus - could that be
>>> preventing the installation?
>>>
>>> "Sooner Al [MVP]" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message

Anonymous
May 17, 2005 2:36:19 PM

I solved this problem, I think. The modified default.htm file that I
downloaded from www.remotenetworktechnology.com had a reference to
CLASSID="CLSID:7584c670-2274-4efb-b00b-d6aaba6d3850". I noticed that this
was different than the original default.htm, which pointed to
"CLSID:9059f30f-4eb1-4bd2-9fdc-36f43a218f4a". So, I changed it to the
original reference, and it works.

Maybe someone can explain this?

> Well, I don't have an answer simply because I don't use the web based
> method. I guess its possible something in IIS is not
> setup/configured/installed correctly since the ActiveX component comes
> from the IIS server as you noted... With that said you might look at these
> pages for possible help...
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/tools/rdwe...
>
> http://dev.remotenetworktechnology.com/ts/fixmsrdp.htm
>
> Watch the line wrap in this last one...
>
> http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=ActiveX+control+...:*.work_remotely&start=0&scoring=d&num=10&hl=en&lr=&as_drrb=q&as_mind=1&as_minm=1&as_miny=1981&as_maxd=16&as_maxm=5&as_maxy=2005&safe=off&
>
> Good luck...
>
> --
>
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> benefit of all of us...
> rights...
>

> "Tim Wentworth" <twentworth@houston.rr.com> wrote in message
>> OK - more information on the ActiveX problem. The ActiveX control will
>> still not install from my host computer. However, I went to a
>> publically-available computer
>> (http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com/tsweb), and the ActiveX
>> downloaded and installed perfectly. So, my problem is not with the
>> client computers not installing the control, but with the host computer
>> not properly "serving" it - if that makes sense. Any idea how to solve
>> this problem?
>>
>> BTW, now that the ActiveX control is installed on one of my computers,
>> the new "default.htm" file works perfectly.
>>

>> "Tim Wentworth" <twentworth@houston.rr.com> wrote in message
>>> Thanks. I have downloaded and installed that file, and it looks like it
>>> might work, but...
>>>
>>> I'm now having a problem with the ActiveX control. It won't install on
>>> either of the computers I'm using - one is a Windows 2000, the other is
>>> XP Professional. I've already tried manually downloading and installing
>>> the Remote Desktop ActiveX control from Microsoft, but it still tries to
>>> download every time I try to connect (and fails). What's the trick to
>>> this? Both computers are running Symantec AntiVirus - could that be
>>> preventing the installation?
>>>
>>> "Sooner Al [MVP]" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message

Anonymous
May 17, 2005 2:56:31 PM

I spoke a little too soon. The fix works, but the problem now is that it
asks to install the ActiveX control every time, even if it's previously been
installed on that computer. Still, it's better than it was.

!