Newbie question: What camera to use for desktop video reco..

Danny

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi gang,

I'm a somewhat newbie to the realm of desktop video recording/capturing using
a video camera. However, I do have 5 years of experience using a TV
card/capture card to capture my favorite TV shows and using Virtualdub to edit
out the commercials and to compress the audio and/or video. This, I can all
do.

Now, I want to use a "video camera" (on a tripod) to record video and audio,
but I want the raw footage recorded directly to my huge, fast hard drive. In
other words, I want to hook-up the camera to my computer by way of a USB port
or a Firewire port or whatever port I need to make this happen.

Is this possible?

Or, do I have to record my "films" using the camera and THEN "dump" the raw
footage into the computer using a USB or Firewire port?

Yes, as far using the camera and tripod, I'll be a newbie. But my issue is
getting the raw footage into the computer.

What kind of camera would be best for what I want to do? I want to use the
setup to make spoofs of classic Hollywood films. :)

I really appreciate all of your feedback and insight.

Also, please feel free to name camera brands and models, if you so desire, so
I know what to look for.

Finally, I suspect some of these cameras are quite expensive, so I'm really
not looking to spend four or five thousand dollars -- nor do I necessarily
want a "cheapy" one either. ;)

I want something that's nice and, hopefully, will give me a good result.

Thanks!

danny

"danny" wrote...
> Now, I want to use a "video camera" (on a tripod) to
> record video and audio, but I want the raw footage
> recorded directly to my huge, fast hard drive. In other
> words, I want to hook-up the camera to my computer
> by way of a USB port or a Firewire port or whatever
> port I need to make this happen.
>
> Is this possible?

Yes, it is done all the time.
Note that USB is generally associated with smaller frame size
and lower frame rate video (i,e, "Webcam")
You will almost certainly need Firewire if you want to capture
anything like "real" 30FPS, full-frame NTSC, etc.

> Or, do I have to record my "films" using the camera and
> THEN "dump" the raw footage into the computer using a
> USB or Firewire port?

No, Generally the computer neither knows nor cares whether
the video coming in is live or being read off a tape or disc,
or OTA (over-the-air), etc..

> What kind of camera would be best for what I want to do?
> I want to use the setup to make spoofs of classic Hollywood
> films. :)

That is like asking "what kind of vehicle should I buy"?
Without more details, impossible to answer. One of the
bigger details is your budget, etc. "Not 4-5thousand"
isn't gonna cut it.

> Now, I want to use a "video camera" (on a tripod) to record video and audio,
> but I want the raw footage recorded directly to my huge, fast hard drive. In
> other words, I want to hook-up the camera to my computer by way of a USB port
> or a Firewire port or whatever port I need to make this happen.

Almost any DV camcorder will do just fine....

Then use a program that'll let you record that live video - I'm
thinking, should most editors do it? like Vegas Video, Premiere, etc.?
I don't recall them needing to record to tape first before feeding the
live feed to your PC (or maybe you'll have to do both simultaneously to
get it to work).

also, www.dvrack.com

"David Chien" <chiendh@uci.edu> wrote in message
>> Now, I want to use a "video camera" (on a tripod) to record video and
>> audio,
>> but I want the raw footage recorded directly to my huge, fast hard drive.
>> In
>> other words, I want to hook-up the camera to my computer by way of a USB
>> port
>> or a Firewire port or whatever port I need to make this happen.
>
> Almost any DV camcorder will do just fine....
>
> Then use a program that'll let you record that live video - I'm
> thinking, should most editors do it? like Vegas Video, Premiere, etc.? I
> don't recall them needing to record to tape first before feeding the live
> feed to your PC (or maybe you'll have to do both simultaneously to get it
> to work).

You can capture from within Premiere -- the program doesn't know whether
it's a live DV-stream, or coming from the tape in the camera. However,
that's kind of overkill unless the OP wants to edit as well.