Remote Assistance question

JMon

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2004

I have Windows XP Professional with SP2. I got the firewall turned off, and
set the group policy to enable RA. However, the only way for me to get it to
work in my environment is to boot into Safe Mode and type in the command
prompt, "sessmgr.exe -service".

Then reboot again and it seems to work fine. However, my question is this
is a pain to do for all my client pcs. Is there a more simply way of doing
this without having to boot into Safe Mode first and then rebooting again
normally?

Any help would be appreciated. I tried the KB articles,
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;301527
but it did not help me.

Thanks

To use the "Offer" functionality of Remote Assistance you must be a member of a domain or a trusted
domain. Is that true in your case? If so, see this Google thread for possible help...

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely/messages/31f52d06d1f1f18b,c9b709ecd5026443,c28fbfbec80e3691?hl=en&thread_id=9487ca423ad0205f&mode=thread&noheader=1&q=offer+group:*.work_remotely+author:Sooner+author:Al&_done=%2Fgroup%2Fmicrosoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely%2Fbrowse_frm%2Fthread%2F9487ca423ad0205f%2Fc9b709ecd5026443%3Fq%3Doffer+group:*.work_remotely+author:Sooner+author:Al%26rnum%3D3%26hl%3Den%26#doc_c9b709ecd5026443

If your in a work group environment then you need to use either the Messenger, Email or File methods
for connection/invitation purposes...

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/remoteassist/intro.mspx

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)