multiple DVD's to single DVD

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 21, 2005 6:32:05 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video,rec.video.desktop,rec.video.production (More info?)

Hey! I have a few portfolio DVD's that only play about 20 minutes each. My
intent is to combine them on a single DVD. (these are all DVD5's)

I see DVDremakePro will do this - any other options you folks can think of
other than completely reverse engineering the source projects and building a
single one from the ground up?

Thanks,
C.J.
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 11:21:47 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video,rec.video.desktop,rec.video.production (More info?)

In article <JtGdnRSvyeA8bPrfRVn-rw@rogers.com>, cjpatten@KNOWSPAMrogers.com
says...

>Hey! I have a few portfolio DVD's that only play about 20 minutes each. My
>intent is to combine them on a single DVD. (these are all DVD5's)
>
>I see DVDremakePro will do this - any other options you folks can think of
>other than completely reverse engineering the source projects and building a
>single one from the ground up?
>
>Thanks,
>C.J.

No big deal. Copy the individual DVD files to your hard drive, rename them
VTS_0_n, make a new folder VIDEO_TS, copy all the renamed files to that folder
and then burn the folder to a new blank DVD.
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 1:13:16 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video,rec.video.desktop,rec.video.production (More info?)

I should have been more clear - both discs have multiple menus that need to
be preserved.

Ideally, I'd like to insert a combo disc and have a new menu come up that
says "Pick portfolio 1 or 2."

Thanks,
C.j

"Gogarty" <Gogarty@Clongowes.edu> wrote in message
> In article <JtGdnRSvyeA8bPrfRVn-rw@rogers.com>,
> cjpatten@KNOWSPAMrogers.com
> says...
>>

>>Hey! I have a few portfolio DVD's that only play about 20 minutes each. My
>>intent is to combine them on a single DVD. (these are all DVD5's)
>>
>>I see DVDremakePro will do this - any other options you folks can think of
>>other than completely reverse engineering the source projects and building
>>single one from the ground up?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>C.J.
>>
> No big deal. Copy the individual DVD files to your hard drive, rename them
> VTS_0_n, make a new folder VIDEO_TS, copy all the renamed files to that
> folder
> and then burn the folder to a new blank DVD.

April 22, 2005 1:13:17 PM

"C.J.Patten" <cjpatten@KNOWSPAMrogers.com> wrote in message
news:o eidnewK0eL1ZfXfRVn-tw@rogers.com...
>I should have been more clear - both discs have multiple menus that need to
>be preserved.
>
> Ideally, I'd like to insert a combo disc and have a new menu come up that
> says "Pick portfolio 1 or 2."
>
> Thanks,
> C.j

What you want is possible, in a sense. You can have a
resulting DVD that uses the individual DVD's main menus
as title menu backgrounds.

You can extract each DVD's menu background image or
clip from the VIDEO_TS.ifo or .vob; and use that when
you author the new DVD. Each original DVD would be its
own title, of course; and the old main menu becomes a
title menu.

Luck;
Ken
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 7:33:10 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video,rec.video.desktop,rec.video.production (More info?)

This is a VERY complex process, though it can be done.

Best bet? If you have the time and patience, www.doom9.org for their DVD
help articles. You'll need to read up on quite a few of them to
understand how to extract the contents from the original VOB files,
combine them onto one disc while retaining the menuing...
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 11:38:59 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video,rec.video.desktop,rec.video.production (More info?)

Ugh. Figured as much.

This is basically coming down to reverse engineering both discs and trying
rebuild them as one.

I think my better bet is to extract the video files (AVI synth? AutoGK? I
forget which tool I used last time) and design new menus in Adobe Encore DVD
(well, Photoshop really) then just dump the extracted videos into a new
project.

Basically, it gets me to the same place I would be by using all the stuff
mentioned on Doom9... except using a lot of that software is like having a
brick tied to my hand and Encore is smooth as silk.

Thanks for the input - at least I'm not wasting time looking for a tool that
doesn't exist.
C.j.

"David Chien" <chiendh@uci.edu> wrote in message
news:D 4bu30$q2n$3@news.service.uci.edu...
> This is a VERY complex process, though it can be done.
>
> Best bet? If you have the time and patience, www.doom9.org for their DVD
> help articles. You'll need to read up on quite a few of them to
> understand how to extract the contents from the original VOB files,
> combine them onto one disc while retaining the menuing...
Anonymous
April 23, 2005 2:00:10 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video,rec.video.desktop,rec.video.production (More info?)

Thanks! I'll take a look!

C.j

"The DV Show" <brian@thedvshow.com> wrote in message
> Rebuild in DVD Studio Pro which builds a tree of menus and multiple
> screens
> that can be combined from the original.
>
> Also take a look at the following:
> http://www.doom9.org/mpg/dvdrb.htm
>
> http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/mpg/dvd-lab.htm
>

> --
> Brian Alves
>
> Listen to the new podcast
> for DV creators- The DV Show!
> http://www.thedvshow.com

Anonymous
April 23, 2005 9:23:32 AM

> Ugh. Figured as much.
>
> This is basically coming down to reverse engineering both discs and trying
> rebuild them as one.
>
> I think my better bet is to extract the video files (AVI synth? AutoGK? I
> forget which tool I used last time) and design new menus in Adobe Encore
> DVD (well, Photoshop really) then just dump the extracted videos into a
> new project.

It's really quite easy to extract the menu graphics from the
VIDEO_TS.vob file or the lowest numbered .vob for each
title. I just use VideoReDo, which has no problem with it as
a still image or a motion clip.

Perhaps Encore can do what I do in TMPGEnc DVD
Author: I rename VIDEO_TS.vob to VIDEO_TS.mpg,
and TDA will let me use it for the menu background. If
it is a still image it appears as a one GOP MPEG.

You will need to recreate the selection/mask and highlight
layers, but that's no big deal. The same should be true for
the menu navigation and commands, using your Encore or
DVDLab. It's only a little more difficult in TDA.

Luck;
Ken
!