RDP to XP Pro WAS working, now it's not

Greetings,

I have a puzzling scenario here with one of my clients who uses RDP
regularly. Up until recently, everything worked like a charm. We're trying
to figure out when something went wrong. No settings have been intentionally
changed. The laptop used can connect to other RDP connections just fine.

Client uses an XP Pro laptop to connect to this XP Pro desktop. Desktop is
behind a NAT router which has been configured for port forwarding for port
3389 to the static 192.168.x.x address of the desktop. WIndows Firewall has
also been configured to allow Remote Desktop connections. Remote Desktop has
been enabled in the Properties area of My Computer and the admin-level
account (with password) is added to the Remote Desktop user list.

The desktop is on an automatic update schedule for critical updates and so
has SP2 as well as whatever other critical updates have been released since
then. There is no other firewall software installed. The only software which
was installed between the last time RDP worked and now was Norton
SystemWorks Professional 2005 and Microsoft Antispyware. This is an
exceptionally well-maintained computer, so I don't suspect any security
threats.

Here are the things I've tried so far - none of them yielded any different
result:

1. Turned off Windows Firewall
2. Placed desktop in DMZ of router
3. Released and renewed IP of cable modem, then power cycled it
4. Rebooted router
5. Uninstalled Norton SystemWorks & Microsoft AntiSpyware, rebooted
6. Used msconfig to disable all Startup items & rebooted
7. Verified IP/gateway/DNS assignment on desktop's NIC

I'm left wondering if there might have been a critical update which has
wreaked havoc with RDP. I wonder if anyone else is suddenly having
difficulty with RDP? My client estimates it's been less than a month since
it was last working right.

Many thanks for any suggestions.

Hello,

"MagGyver" <maggyverREMOVETHIS@comcast.net> wrote in message

> I have a puzzling scenario here with one of my clients who uses RDP
> regularly. Up until recently, everything worked like a charm. We're trying
> to figure out when something went wrong. No settings have been
> intentionally changed.

Is there any error message displayed?
(for example "The remote computer has ended the connection.")

> The desktop is on an automatic update schedule for critical updates and so
> has SP2 as well as whatever other critical updates have been released
> since then. There is no other firewall software installed. The only
> software which was installed between the last time RDP worked and now was
> Norton SystemWorks Professional 2005 and Microsoft Antispyware. This is an
> exceptionally well-maintained computer, so I don't suspect any security
> threats.

Please, look at the "DisableDFS" setting in
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Mup\

It must be 0.
More info: http://www-dsp.syr.edu/meetings/agenda_archive/04Dec.html
and: http://www.ithowto.com/novell/clientspeed.htm

HTH, Roman

>"roman modic" <modicr@myrealbox.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>"MagGyver" <maggyverREMOVETHIS@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>
>> I have a puzzling scenario here with one of my clients who uses RDP
>> regularly. Up until recently, everything worked like a charm. We're trying
>> to figure out when something went wrong. No settings have been
>> intentionally changed.
>
>Is there any error message displayed?
>(for example "The remote computer has ended the connection.")
>

>> The desktop is on an automatic update schedule for critical updates and so
>> has SP2 as well as whatever other critical updates have been released
>> since then. There is no other firewall software installed. The only
>> software which was installed between the last time RDP worked and now was
>> Norton SystemWorks Professional 2005 and Microsoft Antispyware. This is an
>> exceptionally well-maintained computer, so I don't suspect any security
>> threats.
>>

>Please, look at the "DisableDFS" setting in
>HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Mup\
>
>It must be 0.
>More info: http://www-dsp.syr.edu/meetings/agenda_archive/04Dec.html
>and: http://www.ithowto.com/novell/clientspeed.htm
>
>HTH, Roman

is Internet Worm Protection enabled in the Symantec Norton Anti Virus
utility? If so, that may be where the issue lies. Test by disabling
IWP in NAV.

"roman modic" <modicr@myrealbox.com> wrote in message

> Is there any error message displayed?
> (for example "The remote computer has ended the connection.")

The message is "Remote Desktop Disconnected - The client could not connect
to the remote computer. Remote connections might not be enabled or the
computer might be too busy to accept new connections. It is also possible
that network problems are preventing your connection. Please try connecting
again later. If the problem continues to occur, contact your administrator."

> Please, look at the "DisableDFS" setting in
> HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Mup\
>
> It must be 0.
> More info: http://www-dsp.syr.edu/meetings/agenda_archive/04Dec.html
> and: http://www.ithowto.com/novell/clientspeed.htm

Thanks, will look into this.

MagGyver

"T G" <tg@somewhere.com> wrote in message

> is Internet Worm Protection enabled in the Symantec Norton Anti Virus
> utility? If so, that may be where the issue lies. Test by disabling
> IWP in NAV.

As I mentioned, we completely uninstalled all Norton products, including
Antivirus, during our troubleshooting and still could not connect. If it's
completely uninstalled, would IWP still have an impact? I thought not.

Thanks
MagGyver

I too am having the exact same problem for about the same amount of
time. Have any solutions worked for you? Im still stumped....

--
hobbs2k5Posted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

I too having the same problem and stumped for a solution.