xp sp2 broke shiva vpn client

Hi all,

After I installed XP SP2, I have lots of problem with my VPN connection.

90% of the time, I have to connect and reconnect again in order to bring up
the Remote Desktop conection.

80% of the time, the connection will drop and I have to reconnect again.
Like above, I have to reconnect multiple times in order to make it work.

In all instances, the VPN client shown that I have connected to the tunnel
and also got an IP address. However, the connection is actually not there.
I cannot access any network drive and I can't bring up Remote Desktop.

I have shiva vpn client verison 8.42p1. Any one has the same issue? Please
help!!!

BTW, if I remove SP2, it works like a charm. :)

Thanks.

Abel

Hi Robert,

Thanks to your quick reply.

I have Comcast cable. BTW, I don't have the same issue before XP SP2.

Thanks.

Abel

"Robert L [MS-MVP]" wrote:

> Do you have DSL line? If yes, you may need to modify MTU.
> For more and other information, go to http://howtonetworking.com.
>
> Don't send e-mail or reply to me except you need consulting services. Posting on MS newsgroup will benefit all readers and you may get more help.
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> How to Setup Windows, Network, Remote Access on http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.
>
> "Abel Chan" <awong@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message news:EDB610FC-0852-4F8A-8DEF-F7BE8E16D9D1@microsoft.com...
> Hi all,
>
> After I installed XP SP2, I have lots of problem with my VPN connection.
>
> 90% of the time, I have to connect and reconnect again in order to bring up
> the Remote Desktop conection.
>
> 80% of the time, the connection will drop and I have to reconnect again.
> Like above, I have to reconnect multiple times in order to make it work.
>
> In all instances, the VPN client shown that I have connected to the tunnel
> and also got an IP address. However, the connection is actually not there.
> I cannot access any network drive and I can't bring up Remote Desktop.
>
> I have shiva vpn client verison 8.42p1. Any one has the same issue? Please
> help!!!
>
> BTW, if I remove SP2, it works like a charm. :)
>
> Thanks

Hi there.

I recently had the same trouble on our network and came within a week
of losing my job. Whenever I would hack registries and lower my MTU,
things began to work. But as it turns out, the entire problem was due
to a Windows 2000 Server automatic update. The update was a reinstall
of the TCP/IP stack files in order to seal a security hole. That update
broke our entire network. It was because of devices with differing MTUs
and a LAN/WAN environment according to the MS KB article. To us, the
problem surfaced as RDP/Terminal Services just giving a black screen,
SQL Database replications and DTS packages failing, Active Directory
replication failing, and other weirdnesses. The url to the Windows
knowledge base article is here if it will help you:
"http://support.microsoft.com/kb/898060/?" - but again, I can't be
responsible for what you do, blah blah blah, cover my butt, etc. If it
saves you from any more heart-ache and late night caffeine binges, I'll
be glad to have been of service.

Thanks,
-Isaac Morton
imorton@hotmail.com