Annoying light crackle/static when capturing 8mm video. Is..

Doc

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

As I'm capturing some 8mm (analog) video, I notice a low level
static/buzziness particularly during louder portions, though the output is
pretty constant due to the auto-level circuits within the cam.

I've got the sound going into the line-in on the sound card and adjusting
the line-in and record levels doesn't seem to make it go away. The sound is
this light "frying bacon" noise, almost like the sound is at the fringes of
being overloaded/clipping all the time. It's just enough to be audible. It's
not extremely obnoxious, Jane housewife might not even notice it but I do. I
muted the speakers and listened through headphones to make sure it wasn't
just a speaker issue, it's still there. This particular cam doesn't have a
headphone jack so I can't listen to see if it happens before hitting the
sound card. This is an Audigy2 soundcard and sounds fine when recording
other sources, LP, tape, mic to line in etc. The problem seems to be
exclusive to video tape. Is this something that's common with tapes made
with consumer cams or does it sound like it could be another issue?

"Doc" <docsavage20@xhotmail.com> wrote in message
> As I'm capturing some 8mm (analog) video, I notice a low level
> static/buzziness particularly during louder portions, though the output is
> pretty constant due to the auto-level circuits within the cam.

Well, it certainly doesn't happen when I capture 8mm (or any other source).
Is your camcorder running on AC? It might be a ground loop (though,
usually, the DC output of camcorder power supplies will be isolated from the
AC line). Try plugging the camcorder into the same outlet as the computer,
to make sure it's on the same circuit. Also, assuming the plug for your
camcorder power supply isn't polarized, try flipping it around.

The other possibility is you've got bad grounding in your computer, and some
components are "floating." I had something similar once with a motherboard
that wasn't properly grounded to the case.

"Doc" <docsavage20@xhotmail.com> wrote in message
> As I'm capturing some 8mm (analog) video, I notice a low level
> static/buzziness particularly during louder portions, though the output is
> pretty constant due to the auto-level circuits within the cam.
>
> I've got the sound going into the line-in on the sound card and adjusting
> the line-in and record levels doesn't seem to make it go away. The sound
> is
> this light "frying bacon" noise, almost like the sound is at the fringes
> of
> being overloaded/clipping all the time. It's just enough to be audible.
> It's
> not extremely obnoxious, Jane housewife might not even notice it but I do.
> muted the speakers and listened through headphones to make sure it wasn't
> just a speaker issue, it's still there. This particular cam doesn't have a
> headphone jack so I can't listen to see if it happens before hitting the
> sound card. This is an Audigy2 soundcard and sounds fine when recording
> other sources, LP, tape, mic to line in etc. The problem seems to be
> exclusive to video tape. Is this something that's common with tapes made
> with consumer cams or does it sound like it could be another issue?

I don't have this problem with my old Hi-8 camera.

Just checking the obvious; it's not wind noise on outdoor footage, is it?

It might be worth running a cleaning tape through the camera.

Are the tapes old?
How have they been stored?
What's the picture quality like?
Were they recorded in Long/extended play?
Are you using the same input lead as for other sources?

You could pull the audio off separately and run it through a de-hiss filter.

--
Dave

TRENDING THREADS