Field Order - Analog Capture then processed with Ulead DVD..

I use a Matrox G400-TV and it captures to MJPEG.

I have Ulead Video Studio 7 SE and Ulead DVD Movie Factory 2 SE.
I open the MJPEG AVI's and then edit the video in VIdeo Studio 7
SE then export it to what I think is the properly configured
MPEG-2 file, then use DVD Movie Factory 2 SE to export it to a
VIDEO_TS folder to go on to a DVD that I burn with Nero 6.

It seems like sometimes the videos I make flicker on TV's, even
though they look fine on the PC. Dude I know says it has
something to do with Field Order and that if I upgrade to the
full DVD Movie Factory 4 Standard application, which apparently
is just released, it will take care of all the Field Order stuff
automatically.

Says I can either edit the video in Video Studio 7 SE still if I
want, or use some kind of TRIM feature in this Movie Factory 4
upgrade to edit, and that whatever files I read into Movie
Factory 4 will automatically be converted during DVD creation so
that all the Field Order stuff will be set properly, regardless
of which video source files have what Field Order settings.

I'm not well versed on this Field Order stuff. All I want is to
capture VHS tapes to disk, edit the vid and make DVD Menus and
export it to DVD with Movie Factory, whatever the version is.

Could someone please help me out with this and help educate me on
whether this stuff is all the real deal or not?

I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you.

"Paul D. Sullivan" <dudeboyz@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I use a Matrox G400-TV and it captures to MJPEG.
>
> I have Ulead Video Studio 7 SE and Ulead DVD Movie Factory 2 SE.
> I open the MJPEG AVI's and then edit the video in VIdeo Studio 7
> SE then export it to what I think is the properly configured
> MPEG-2 file, then use DVD Movie Factory 2 SE to export it to a
> VIDEO_TS folder to go on to a DVD that I burn with Nero 6.
>
> It seems like sometimes the videos I make flicker on TV's, even
> though they look fine on the PC. Dude I know says it has
> something to do with Field Order and that if I upgrade to the
> full DVD Movie Factory 4 Standard application, which apparently
> is just released, it will take care of all the Field Order stuff
> automatically.
>
> Says I can either edit the video in Video Studio 7 SE still if I
> want, or use some kind of TRIM feature in this Movie Factory 4
> upgrade to edit, and that whatever files I read into Movie
> Factory 4 will automatically be converted during DVD creation so
> that all the Field Order stuff will be set properly, regardless
> of which video source files have what Field Order settings.
>
> I'm not well versed on this Field Order stuff. All I want is to
> capture VHS tapes to disk, edit the vid and make DVD Menus and
> export it to DVD with Movie Factory, whatever the version is.
>
> Could someone please help me out with this and help educate me on
> whether this stuff is all the real deal or not?
>
> I'd really appreciate it.
>
> Thank you.

Check out www.digitalfaq.com

Luck;
Ken

You've gotta tailor your project to the output media.
I did a live concert video DVD a few days ago that looks GREAT on TV and
poor on a computer screen.

Did you perhaps deinterlace the footage? (should be left interlaced for TV
use)

Per the other post, that digitalFAQ is great - have a gander.

C.

"Paul D. Sullivan" <dudeboyz@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I use a Matrox G400-TV and it captures to MJPEG.
>
> I have Ulead Video Studio 7 SE and Ulead DVD Movie Factory 2 SE.
> I open the MJPEG AVI's and then edit the video in VIdeo Studio 7
> SE then export it to what I think is the properly configured
> MPEG-2 file, then use DVD Movie Factory 2 SE to export it to a
> VIDEO_TS folder to go on to a DVD that I burn with Nero 6.
>
> It seems like sometimes the videos I make flicker on TV's, even
> though they look fine on the PC. Dude I know says it has
> something to do with Field Order and that if I upgrade to the
> full DVD Movie Factory 4 Standard application, which apparently
> is just released, it will take care of all the Field Order stuff
> automatically.
>
> Says I can either edit the video in Video Studio 7 SE still if I
> want, or use some kind of TRIM feature in this Movie Factory 4
> upgrade to edit, and that whatever files I read into Movie
> Factory 4 will automatically be converted during DVD creation so
> that all the Field Order stuff will be set properly, regardless
> of which video source files have what Field Order settings.
>
> I'm not well versed on this Field Order stuff. All I want is to
> capture VHS tapes to disk, edit the vid and make DVD Menus and
> export it to DVD with Movie Factory, whatever the version is.
>
> Could someone please help me out with this and help educate me on
> whether this stuff is all the real deal or not?
>
> I'd really appreciate it.
>
> Thank you.

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 11:51:27 GMT, "Paul D. Sullivan"
<dudeboyz@hotmail.com> wrote:

>It seems like sometimes the videos I make flicker on TV's, even
>though they look fine on the PC. Dude I know says it has
>something to do with Field Order

Most likely.

>and that if I upgrade to the
>full DVD Movie Factory 4 Standard application, which apparently
>is just released, it will take care of all the Field Order stuff
>automatically.

If he says so... (I encode with Tmpgenc, which also does take care by
itself).

Also, if you already have some encoded material which you do not want
(or can) re-encode, there are some programs that can modify the
headers of DVD and mpeg files (PullDown, MpegPatch, DVDPatcher...) so
that you just change the field order in the header.

Thank you. :)

> On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 11:51:27 GMT, "Paul D. Sullivan"
> <dudeboyz@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> It seems like sometimes the videos I make flicker on TV's,
>> even though they look fine on the PC. Dude I know says it has
>> something to do with Field Order
>
> Most likely.
>
>> and that if I upgrade to the
>> full DVD Movie Factory 4 Standard application, which
>> apparently is just released, it will take care of all the
>> Field Order stuff automatically.
>
> If he says so... (I encode with Tmpgenc, which also does take
> care by itself).
>
> Also, if you already have some encoded material which you do
> not want (or can) re-encode, there are some programs that can
> modify the headers of DVD and mpeg files (PullDown, MpegPatch,
> DVDPatcher...) so that you just change the field order in the
> header.

I'm hoping that DVD Movie Creator 4 will do this automatically.
If I choose NTSC DVD, it just handles it for me. That's what I'm
trying to find out. :)

> You've gotta tailor your project to the output media.
> I did a live concert video DVD a few days ago that looks GREAT
> on TV and poor on a computer screen.
>
> Did you perhaps deinterlace the footage? (should be left
> interlaced for TV use)
>
> Per the other post, that digitalFAQ is great - have a gander.
>
> C.
>

> "Paul D. Sullivan" <dudeboyz@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I use a Matrox G400-TV and it captures to MJPEG.
>>
>> I have Ulead Video Studio 7 SE and Ulead DVD Movie Factory 2
>> SE. I open the MJPEG AVI's and then edit the video in VIdeo
>> Studio 7 SE then export it to what I think is the properly
>> configured MPEG-2 file, then use DVD Movie Factory 2 SE to
>> export it to a VIDEO_TS folder to go on to a DVD that I burn
>> with Nero 6.
>>
>> It seems like sometimes the videos I make flicker on TV's,
>> even though they look fine on the PC. Dude I know says it has
>> something to do with Field Order and that if I upgrade to the
>> full DVD Movie Factory 4 Standard application, which
>> apparently is just released, it will take care of all the
>> Field Order stuff automatically.
>>
>> Says I can either edit the video in Video Studio 7 SE still
>> if I want, or use some kind of TRIM feature in this Movie
>> Factory 4 upgrade to edit, and that whatever files I read
>> into Movie Factory 4 will automatically be converted during
>> DVD creation so that all the Field Order stuff will be set
>> properly, regardless of which video source files have what
>> Field Order settings.
>>
>> I'm not well versed on this Field Order stuff. All I want is
>> to capture VHS tapes to disk, edit the vid and make DVD Menus
>> and export it to DVD with Movie Factory, whatever the version
>> is.
>>
>> Could someone please help me out with this and help educate
>> me on whether this stuff is all the real deal or not?
>>
>> I'd really appreciate it.
>>
>> Thank you.

I guess DVD Movie Factory 4 is too new to be on there yet.
Thanks though.