Premiere Pro Adobe Encoder Crashes w/ 16:9 (1.2) Stills?

Archived from groups: adobe.premiere.pro.win,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

I recently upgraded from Premiere 6.5 to Premiere Pro 1.5. When I try to
use the Adobe Encoder to Export a widescreen (16:9, 1.2 Pixel Aspect Ratio,
NTSC) project to any of the MPEG formats, the export always crashes at the
point in the timeline where it encounters still images that have a 1.2 par.
It will not always crash at the first frame of the still image but it never
makes it through the entire 5 second still. When the crash occurs, it
locks up my entire computer and I have to do a warm reset to reboot. I've
tried several things to get around this problem. I've tried different image
formats, including, PSD, GIF, TGA, etc. I've tried creating 1.2 par images
within Photoshop and then importing them into Premiere. I've also tried
importing square pixel images and using Premiere's "Interpret Footage"
command to force conformance with D1/DV NTSC widescreen 16:9 (1.2). Neither
method prevents the crashes. The Adobe encoder will successfully export
this same timeline as non-MPEG files, such as Windows Media, Real Video,
etc. The "Export-->Movie" command will also work to export the timeline as
DV (NTSC) and I can then use Adobe Encore DVD 1.5 to transcode the exported
clip without any crash. Also, if I change the stills in the timeline to 0.9
aspect ratio pixels using "Interpret Footage", then the Adobe Encoder will
successfully export the timeline to MPEG. As one would expect for such an
export, the video portion of the timeline (which has a 1.2 pixel aspect
ratio) appears as widescreen and the still portions appear in 4:3 aspect
ratio. Can anyone explain why I can not use the Adobe Encoder to export to
any of the MPEG formats in cases where the timeline contains stills with a
1.2 pixel aspect ratio? Obviously, I'm also hoping that someone can suggest
a 'cure' for this problem. TIA, Mardon
5 answers Last reply
More about premiere adobe encoder crashes stills
  1. Archived from groups: adobe.premiere.pro.win,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    You've updated Premiere to 1.5.1 using the updater on the Adobe website,
    right....?

    If that's been done and it still crashes, I'd wager this is one for the
    Adobe tech support crew.
    You bought the software - you're entitled to support - and I'm sure Adobe
    would like to hear about this problem.

    In the meantime, unless someone else here has seen this problem (and you've
    documented it quite well BTW) I think you're stuck with waiting on a
    solution from Adobe and using Encore for the final transcode.

    Good luck!
    C.j

    "Mardon" <mgb72mgb@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I recently upgraded from Premiere 6.5 to Premiere Pro 1.5. When I try to
    >use the Adobe Encoder to Export a widescreen (16:9, 1.2 Pixel Aspect Ratio,
    >NTSC) project to any of the MPEG formats, the export always crashes at the
    >point in the timeline where it encounters still images that have a 1.2 par.
    >It will not always crash at the first frame of the still image but it never
    >makes it through the entire 5 second still. When the crash occurs, it
    >locks up my entire computer and I have to do a warm reset to reboot. I've
    >tried several things to get around this problem. I've tried different
    >image formats, including, PSD, GIF, TGA, etc. I've tried creating 1.2 par
    >images within Photoshop and then importing them into Premiere. I've also
    >tried importing square pixel images and using Premiere's "Interpret
    >Footage" command to force conformance with D1/DV NTSC widescreen 16:9
    >(1.2). Neither method prevents the crashes. The Adobe encoder will
    >successfully export this same timeline as non-MPEG files, such as Windows
    >Media, Real Video, etc. The "Export-->Movie" command will also work to
    >export the timeline as DV (NTSC) and I can then use Adobe Encore DVD 1.5 to
    >transcode the exported clip without any crash. Also, if I change the
    >stills in the timeline to 0.9 aspect ratio pixels using "Interpret
    >Footage", then the Adobe Encoder will successfully export the timeline to
    >MPEG. As one would expect for such an export, the video portion of the
    >timeline (which has a 1.2 pixel aspect ratio) appears as widescreen and the
    >still portions appear in 4:3 aspect ratio. Can anyone explain why I can
    >not use the Adobe Encoder to export to any of the MPEG formats in cases
    >where the timeline contains stills with a 1.2 pixel aspect ratio?
    >Obviously, I'm also hoping that someone can suggest a 'cure' for this
    >problem. TIA, Mardon

  2. Archived from groups: adobe.premiere.pro.win,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    "Mardon" <mgb72mgb@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I recently upgraded from Premiere 6.5 to Premiere Pro 1.5. When I try to
    >use the Adobe Encoder to Export a widescreen (16:9, 1.2 Pixel Aspect Ratio,
    >NTSC) project to any of the MPEG formats, the export always crashes at the
    >point in the timeline where it encounters still images that have a 1.2 par.
    >It will not always crash at the first frame of the still image but it never
    >makes it through the entire 5 second still. When the crash occurs, it
    >locks up my entire computer and I have to do a warm reset to reboot. I've
    >tried several things to get around this problem. I've tried different
    >image formats, including, PSD, GIF, TGA, etc. I've tried creating 1.2 par
    >images within Photoshop and then importing them into Premiere. I've also
    >tried importing square pixel images and using Premiere's "Interpret
    >Footage" command to force conformance with D1/DV NTSC widescreen 16:9
    >(1.2). Neither method prevents the crashes. The Adobe encoder will
    >successfully export this same timeline as non-MPEG files, such as Windows
    >Media, Real Video, etc. The "Export-->Movie" command will also work to
    >export the timeline as DV (NTSC) and I can then use Adobe Encore DVD 1.5 to
    >transcode the exported clip without any crash. Also, if I change the
    >stills in the timeline to 0.9 aspect ratio pixels using "Interpret
    >Footage", then the Adobe Encoder will successfully export the timeline to
    >MPEG. As one would expect for such an export, the video portion of the
    >timeline (which has a 1.2 pixel aspect ratio) appears as widescreen and the
    >still portions appear in 4:3 aspect ratio. Can anyone explain why I can
    >not use the Adobe Encoder to export to any of the MPEG formats in cases
    >where the timeline contains stills with a 1.2 pixel aspect ratio?
    >Obviously, I'm also hoping that someone can suggest a 'cure' for this
    >problem. TIA, Mardon

    This is only a comment that may provide a clue to a solution,
    or may not. I have no experience with Premiere.

    You describe your still as a "5 second still". When I deal with
    stills in TMPGEnc DVD Author and elsewhere as a feature of a
    DVD a still image is constructed within one GOP. This would
    normally mean it is a "1/2 second still".

    Luck;
    Ken
  3. Archived from groups: adobe.premiere.pro.win,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    "C.J.Patten" <cjpatten@KNOWSPAMrogers.com> wrote...
    > You've updated Premiere to 1.5.1 using the updater on the
    > Adobe website, right....?

    Thanks for the feedback. I had not updated to v1.5.1 because I thought that
    it's sole purpose was to provide HDV and I'm not into that. However, after
    reading your comments, I installed the v1.5.1 update. Unfortunately, it did
    not fix the problem with crashes caused by MPEG exports of timelines
    containing 1.2 par stills.

    <*snip*>
    > In the meantime, unless someone else here has seen this
    > problem (and you've documented it quite well BTW)....

    Thanks for the compliment but now I feel 'guilty' for not disclosing my
    hardware. I didn't mention in my OP that I'm using a PC that's grossly
    underpowered compared to Adobe's minimum specs. I omitted this information
    for fear that it might cause people to automatically jump to the conclusion
    that my hardware insufficiency is the cause of the problem that I described
    in the OP. I'm skeptical of that being true because all of the other
    features of both Premiere Pro and Encore seem to work OK (albeit my
    transcode times are agonizingly long, as is to be expected.) I'm using a
    single P3, 600MHz CPU with 1GB memory. I do have lots of free disk storage,
    much of it 160 SCSI. My OS is Windows XP Pro sp2. Anyway, I've now
    revealed all my 'secrets'. If underpowered hardware were my problem,
    however, I find it hard to believe that it would only manifest itself in
    such a specific way as system crashes caused by Adobe Encorder MPEG exports
    with1.2 par stills in the timeline. Any comments?
  4. Archived from groups: adobe.premiere.pro.win,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    I'd be skeptical that's causing the problem.

    If you were *missing* some resource (eg: a particular control or chipset)
    the software might refuse to run.

    My gut tells me it isn't your hardware but what do I know? I'm still using
    PremierePro 1.0 on a P4HT... <shrug>

    I agree the problem seems too specific to be related to hardware.

    GET ON ADOBE'S CASE! :D

    C.

    > "C.J.Patten" <cjpatten@KNOWSPAMrogers.com> wrote...
    >> You've updated Premiere to 1.5.1 using the updater on the
    >> Adobe website, right....?
    >
    > Thanks for the feedback. I had not updated to v1.5.1 because I thought
    > that it's sole purpose was to provide HDV and I'm not into that. However,
    > after reading your comments, I installed the v1.5.1 update.
    > Unfortunately, it did not fix the problem with crashes caused by MPEG
    > exports of timelines containing 1.2 par stills.
    >
    > <*snip*>
    >> In the meantime, unless someone else here has seen this
    >> problem (and you've documented it quite well BTW)....
    >
    > Thanks for the compliment but now I feel 'guilty' for not disclosing my
    > hardware. I didn't mention in my OP that I'm using a PC that's grossly
    > underpowered compared to Adobe's minimum specs. I omitted this
    > information for fear that it might cause people to automatically jump to
    > the conclusion that my hardware insufficiency is the cause of the problem
    > that I described in the OP. I'm skeptical of that being true because all
    > of the other features of both Premiere Pro and Encore seem to work OK
    > (albeit my transcode times are agonizingly long, as is to be expected.)
    > I'm using a single P3, 600MHz CPU with 1GB memory. I do have lots of free
    > disk storage, much of it 160 SCSI. My OS is Windows XP Pro sp2. Anyway,
    > I've now revealed all my 'secrets'. If underpowered hardware were my
    > problem, however, I find it hard to believe that it would only manifest
    > itself in such a specific way as system crashes caused by Adobe Encorder
    > MPEG exports with1.2 par stills in the timeline. Any comments?

  5. Archived from groups: adobe.premiere.pro.win,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    For anyone who's been following this thread, I've uncovered some more
    information which I felt would best be covered by a new post. The subject
    is: "Will Someone with Premiere Pro 1.5 Help Test Something?"

Tuner Cards Adobe Premiere Adobe Graphics