Working with mpeg2 need some help please!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
April 23, 2005 3:31:05 AM

Hello,

I sincerely hope I can get some help from you guys as I'm pretty frustrated
over a project I'm doing and can't finish .... I borrowed a friend's stand
alone DVD recorder to record the Pope's funeral on April 8th with the hope
of editing it on my computer and send DVD copies to my family in Europe. Ok,
so I bought some DVD+R media and used the SQ setting to tape close to 2 hrs
on one DVD and another 2 hrs on another, for a total of close to 4hrs. I
then used a trial version of the TsunamiMPEG DVDAuthor to "rip" (I hope that
what's it's called) the DVD's to my harddrive. The program was able to make
2 mpeg's, one for each DVD. I then imported the mpegs to Nero Vision Express
2 for cutting unneeded parts, placing fade ins, fade outs and typing out
specific info to be displayed at the beginning of each DVD and after .... I
was able to do this very successfully and wanted to place about 1 hr and 45
min on each DVD as the finished product. I then tried to burn the contents
of my project to DVD but was unable 'cause the content was too big for a 4.7
gig DVD. At this point I wish to say that DL DVD's are too expensive and
when a mistake is made, I have to throw good money away, so DL is not really
an option. So as it stood, I couldn't burn about 1 hr and 45 min of part one
of the program to 1 DVD because it was too large. (This is where the
frustration begins). I tried to find a program that would shrink the mpeg to
fit onto one DVD. One of the programs I tried was TMPGEnc-2.524.63.181
version but the mpeg2 feature expired. Sure, I could purchase the whole
version but this was and would be the only project that I would do with DVD
and so I don't want to spend the money for one project. I also tried "DVD
Shrink 3.2" but for some unknown reason, it would not recognize the contents
of the DVD nor the mpeg2 .... I'm still in a search and would like your
help. Is there a trial version (fully functional) that you'd recommend to
help in my situation ?

Thanks very much!

Daniel

More about : working mpeg2

Anonymous
April 23, 2005 10:03:25 AM

"Daniel" <NotReal@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I sincerely hope I can get some help from you guys as I'm pretty
> frustrated over a project I'm doing and can't finish .... I borrowed a
> friend's stand alone DVD recorder to record the Pope's funeral on April
> 8th with the hope of editing it on my computer and send DVD copies to my
> family in Europe. Ok, so I bought some DVD+R media and used the SQ setting
> to tape close to 2 hrs on one DVD and another 2 hrs on another, for a
> total of close to 4hrs. I then used a trial version of the TsunamiMPEG
> DVDAuthor to "rip" (I hope that what's it's called) the DVD's to my
> harddrive. The program was able to make 2 mpeg's, one for each DVD. I then
> imported the mpegs to Nero Vision Express 2 for cutting unneeded parts,
> placing fade ins, fade outs and typing out specific info to be displayed
> at the beginning of each DVD and after .... I was able to do this very
> successfully and wanted to place about 1 hr and 45 min on each DVD as the
> finished product. I then tried to burn the contents of my project to DVD
> but was unable 'cause the content was too big for a 4.7 gig DVD. At this
> point I wish to say that DL DVD's are too expensive and when a mistake is
> made, I have to throw good money away, so DL is not really an option. So
> as it stood, I couldn't burn about 1 hr and 45 min of part one of the
> program to 1 DVD because it was too large. (This is where the frustration
> begins). I tried to find a program that would shrink the mpeg to fit onto
> one DVD. One of the programs I tried was TMPGEnc-2.524.63.181 version but
> the mpeg2 feature expired. Sure, I could purchase the whole version but
> this was and would be the only project that I would do with DVD and so I
> don't want to spend the money for one project. I also tried "DVD Shrink
> 3.2" but for some unknown reason, it would not recognize the contents of
> the DVD nor the mpeg2 .... I'm still in a search and would like your help.
> Is there a trial version (fully functional) that you'd recommend to help
> in my situation ?
>
> Thanks very much!
>
> Daniel

Your problems come from the encoding that Nero Express is doing
after your editing. If you can adjust the bitrate down a little and use a
VBR setting, you should be able to fit.

As you are able to make your "1 hr and 45 min" DVD project, you
should be able to output them from Nero Express to your hard drive
in a VIDEO_TS folder. Then you could use DVDShrink on that
folder to shrink as needed.

Luck;
Ken
Anonymous
April 23, 2005 4:15:47 PM

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 23:31:05 GMT, "Daniel" <NotReal@yahoo.com> wrote:

Press "More" and then "Video Options" then "DVD-Video"
and adjust down Bit-Rate to less then 4.3 GB.

>Hello,
>
>I sincerely hope I can get some help from you guys as I'm pretty frustrated
>over a project I'm doing and can't finish .... I borrowed a friend's stand
>alone DVD recorder to record the Pope's funeral on April 8th with the hope
>of editing it on my computer and send DVD copies to my family in Europe. Ok,
>so I bought some DVD+R media and used the SQ setting to tape close to 2 hrs
>on one DVD and another 2 hrs on another, for a total of close to 4hrs. I
>then used a trial version of the TsunamiMPEG DVDAuthor to "rip" (I hope that
>what's it's called) the DVD's to my harddrive. The program was able to make
>2 mpeg's, one for each DVD. I then imported the mpegs to Nero Vision Express
>2 for cutting unneeded parts, placing fade ins, fade outs and typing out
>specific info to be displayed at the beginning of each DVD and after .... I
>was able to do this very successfully and wanted to place about 1 hr and 45
>min on each DVD as the finished product. I then tried to burn the contents
>of my project to DVD but was unable 'cause the content was too big for a 4.7
>gig DVD. At this point I wish to say that DL DVD's are too expensive and
>when a mistake is made, I have to throw good money away, so DL is not really
>an option. So as it stood, I couldn't burn about 1 hr and 45 min of part one
>of the program to 1 DVD because it was too large. (This is where the
>frustration begins). I tried to find a program that would shrink the mpeg to
>fit onto one DVD. One of the programs I tried was TMPGEnc-2.524.63.181
>version but the mpeg2 feature expired. Sure, I could purchase the whole
>version but this was and would be the only project that I would do with DVD
>and so I don't want to spend the money for one project. I also tried "DVD
>Shrink 3.2" but for some unknown reason, it would not recognize the contents
>of the DVD nor the mpeg2 .... I'm still in a search and would like your
>help. Is there a trial version (fully functional) that you'd recommend to
>help in my situation ?
>
>Thanks very much!
>
>Daniel

Related resources
April 26, 2005 4:31:06 AM

"Ken Maltby" <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> "Daniel" <NotReal@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> I sincerely hope I can get some help from you guys as I'm pretty
>> frustrated over a project I'm doing and can't finish .... I borrowed a
>> friend's stand alone DVD recorder to record the Pope's funeral on April
>> 8th with the hope of editing it on my computer and send DVD copies to my
>> family in Europe. Ok, so I bought some DVD+R media and used the SQ
>> setting to tape close to 2 hrs on one DVD and another 2 hrs on another,
>> for a total of close to 4hrs. I then used a trial version of the
>> TsunamiMPEG DVDAuthor to "rip" (I hope that what's it's called) the DVD's
>> to my harddrive. The program was able to make 2 mpeg's, one for each DVD.
>> I then imported the mpegs to Nero Vision Express 2 for cutting unneeded
>> parts, placing fade ins, fade outs and typing out specific info to be
>> displayed at the beginning of each DVD and after .... I was able to do
>> this very successfully and wanted to place about 1 hr and 45 min on each
>> DVD as the finished product. I then tried to burn the contents of my
>> project to DVD but was unable 'cause the content was too big for a 4.7
>> gig DVD. At this point I wish to say that DL DVD's are too expensive and
>> when a mistake is made, I have to throw good money away, so DL is not
>> really an option. So as it stood, I couldn't burn about 1 hr and 45 min
>> of part one of the program to 1 DVD because it was too large. (This is
>> where the frustration begins). I tried to find a program that would
>> shrink the mpeg to fit onto one DVD. One of the programs I tried was
>> TMPGEnc-2.524.63.181 version but the mpeg2 feature expired. Sure, I could
>> purchase the whole version but this was and would be the only project
>> that I would do with DVD and so I don't want to spend the money for one
>> project. I also tried "DVD Shrink 3.2" but for some unknown reason, it
>> would not recognize the contents of the DVD nor the mpeg2 .... I'm still
>> in a search and would like your help. Is there a trial version (fully
>> functional) that you'd recommend to help in my situation ?
>>
>> Thanks very much!
>>
>> Daniel
>
> Your problems come from the encoding that Nero Express is doing
> after your editing. If you can adjust the bitrate down a little and use a
> VBR setting, you should be able to fit.
>
> As you are able to make your "1 hr and 45 min" DVD project, you
> should be able to output them from Nero Express to your hard drive
> in a VIDEO_TS folder. Then you could use DVDShrink on that
> folder to shrink as needed.

Yes, that's exactly what I did and it worked!! Thanks a lot!!

~Daniel

> Luck;
> Ken

April 26, 2005 4:32:11 AM

"JimK" <1alpha@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 23:31:05 GMT, "Daniel" <NotReal@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> Press "More" and then "Video Options" then "DVD-Video"
> and adjust down Bit-Rate to less then 4.3 GB.

I was able to do it another way but thanks anyway for the tip. :)

~Daniel

!