Newbee Help

I used my DV Camera's AV/DV feature to record from a VCR analog video
and capture it on my PC as an AVI file. It is 1:40 mins and the size
states that is is 22 gigs. I used Pinaclle Studio 8 and when I try to
burn it I receive an Error that it is to large to fit on a single DVD.
Need some basic help on compression, What software to compress? What
software to Burn? Any help along with maybe a site on howto's would
help greatly. Thank in advance.

"wizof103" wrote ...
>I used my DV Camera's AV/DV feature to record from a VCR analog video
> and capture it on my PC as an AVI file. It is 1:40 mins and the size
> states that is is 22 gigs. I used Pinaclle Studio 8 and when I try to
> burn it I receive an Error that it is to large to fit on a single DVD.
> Need some basic help on compression, What software to compress? What
> software to Burn? Any help along with maybe a site on howto's would
> help greatly. Thank in advance.

I'm not a Pinnacle user, but did it transcode your AVI file to MP2
for regular DVD use? The MP2 version should fit on a DVD.

"wizof103" <wizof103@bellatlantic.net> wrote in message
> I used my DV Camera's AV/DV feature to record from a VCR analog video
> and capture it on my PC as an AVI file. It is 1:40 mins and the size
> states that is is 22 gigs. I used Pinaclle Studio 8 and when I try to
> burn it I receive an Error that it is to large to fit on a single DVD.
> Need some basic help on compression, What software to compress? What
> software to Burn? Any help along with maybe a site on howto's would
> help greatly. Thank in advance.

Have a look at http://www.videohelp.com/ -- lots of good info there,
tutorials etc. What you need to do is convert from the DV format
avi file you got from the camcorder to mpeg2 for the DVD ( I am
assuming you are trying to burn a "normal" DVD, not just use the
DVD to store the avi file you captured). One popular encoder is
tmpgenc from http://www.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/tp.html
Vegas (now from Sony) is a very good editor that includes a
encoder etc. ($$$). Sony Screenblast movie studio ($99 ?) is not
bad. Another one is Ulead DVD movie factory that you can see
at http://www.ulead.com/dmf/runme.htm (I have an older version but
it is OK). There are ways to get there for free, but that should get
you started along the path of confusion ...

mikey

On 23 Apr 2005 06:30:00 -0700, "wizof103" <wizof103@bellatlantic.net>
wrote:

>I used Pinaclle Studio 8 and when I try to
>burn it I receive an Error that it is to large to fit on a single DVD.

Does Studio allow you to generate the DVD on the harddrive (ie. not
burning to a DVD disc)? This is what authoring programs usually do,
before actually burning to a DVD disc.

Once you have authored to harddrive, you can use DVDShrink to make it
fit into the 4.37 GB of a DVD disc. This, of course, shall lower the
quality, but that's the law: the more time you pack in a DVD disc, the
lower the quality.