The ever decreasing circles syndrome & wireless networking!

I am trying to retain a sense of humour, but it is becoming difficult.

I have a desktop and a laptop both running WinXP HE plus SP2, and both
with Belkin network cards plus a Belkin access point. (my ADSL
connection on the desktop is via a PCI modem) . Connectivity on both is
excellent, but neither machine can see the other, nor can the laptop
access the Internet or the printer.

File sharing has been activated, the workgroup names are the same,
firewalls either disabled or removed, network wizard run many times,
and, am unable to 'ping' either machine, so do I have a hardware
problem? All was OK until SP2 was installed on both.

Save an old pensioner from having to go and do the housework...
--
David W Allen
Internet: http://www.oakleyvillage.co.uk

    Give us the Belkin model numbers.
    Is the Access point also a router?
    How is it connected?

    In message <0281461C-2968-49A0-A682-E6CEA3F36139@microsoft.com>, Hugh
    <Hugh@discussions.microsoft.com> writes
    >Give us the Belkin model numbers.
    >Is the Access point also a router?
    >How is it connected?
    >
    >"David W Allen" wrote:
    >
    >> I am trying to retain a sense of humour, but it is becoming difficult.
    >>
    >> I have a desktop and a laptop both running WinXP HE plus SP2, and both
    >> with Belkin network cards plus a Belkin access point. (my ADSL
    >> connection on the desktop is via a PCI modem) . Connectivity on both is
    >> excellent, but neither machine can see the other, nor can the laptop
    >> access the Internet or the printer.
    >>
    >> File sharing has been activated, the workgroup names are the same,
    >> firewalls either disabled or removed, network wizard run many times,
    >> and, am unable to 'ping' either machine, so do I have a hardware
    >> problem? All was OK until SP2 was installed on both.
    >>
    >> Save an old pensioner from having to go and do the housework...
    >> --
    >> David W Allen

    Hugh - the desktop network card is F5D7000, notebook card is F5D7010 and
    the access point is F5D7130.

    This access point is not a router, and is placed roughly half way
    between the two computers, and is powered through a transformer (?) from
    the mains. I originally ran the wireless setup as an ad hoc peer to
    peer system, but the distances involved were such that the signal
    strength did not allow for speedy transfer of data. Belkin advised me to
    install an access point and that setup had been running satisfactorily
    for a year, until I had to return the laptop to the manufacturers under
    guarantee, which entailed a hard drive re-format and the reinstallation
    of Windows, plus SP2.
    --
    David W Allen
    Internet: http://www.oakleyvillage.co.uk

    I feel your pain.
    Try these XP setup instructions from Belkin:
    http://web.belkin.com/support/kb/kb.asp?a=3725&langid=1

    In message <F4BB135A-B31C-4C7C-9AAF-52BB6AF9D253@microsoft.com>, Hugh
    <Hugh@discussions.microsoft.com> writes
    >I feel your pain.
    >Try these XP setup instructions from Belkin:
    >http://web.belkin.com/support/kb/kb.asp?a=3725&langid=1

    Hugh - this deals with a peer to peer set up. I have a wireless access
    point set up.

    Back to the drawing board I suppose.

    Thanks for your time.

    >"David W Allen" wrote:
    >
    >> In message <0281461C-2968-49A0-A682-E6CEA3F36139@microsoft.com>, Hugh
    >> <Hugh@discussions.microsoft.com> writes
    >> >Give us the Belkin model numbers.
    >> >Is the Access point also a router?
    >> >How is it connected?

    >> Hugh - the desktop network card is F5D7000, notebook card is F5D7010 and
    >> the access point is F5D7130.
    >>
    >> This access point is not a router, and is placed roughly half way
    >> between the two computers, and is powered through a transformer (?) from
    >> the mains. I originally ran the wireless setup as an ad hoc peer to
    >> peer system, but the distances involved were such that the signal
    >> strength did not allow for speedy transfer of data. Belkin advised me to
    >> install an access point and that setup had been running satisfactorily
    >> for a year, until I had to return the laptop to the manufacturers under
    >> guarantee, which entailed a hard drive re-format and the reinstallation
    >> of Windows, plus SP2.
    >> --
    >> David W Allen
    >> Internet: http://www.oakleyvillage.co.uk

    --
    David W Allen
    Internet: http://www.oakleyvillage.co.uk
    Outgoing mail checked by Norton Anti-Virus 2004

    Actually, David, you're trying to set up a peer-to-peer network. (As opposed
    to a client-server).
    Note that the instructions for XP are halfway down the page. I realize the
    terminology gets a bit arcane, so start with the basics and try again.
    The problems you're having are not at all unusual. All that's required is
    infinite patience and" ponder(ing) weak and weary,
    Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore."

    In message <F5FA6CAB-8A1F-4516-A943-D0B544C49CA8@microsoft.com>, Hugh
    <Hugh@discussions.microsoft.com> writes
    >Actually, David, you're trying to set up a peer-to-peer network. (As opposed
    >to a client-server).
    >Note that the instructions for XP are halfway down the page. I realize the
    >terminology gets a bit arcane, so start with the basics and try again.
    >The problems you're having are not at all unusual. All that's required is
    >infinite patience and" ponder(ing) weak and weary,
    >Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore."

    Hugh - we are beginning to see a little bit of daylight. The desktop can
    now read the laptop, and the laptop can see the desktop's printer and
    print, but it cannot access the desktop's IDSL connection, nor can it
    access the desktop's files, even though file sharing has been set up.

    The message 'desktop is not accessible. You might not...etc...' appears.

    The desktop's firewall has been disabled (SP2)

    >"David W Allen" wrote:
    >
    >> In message <F4BB135A-B31C-4C7C-9AAF-52BB6AF9D253@microsoft.com>, Hugh
    >> <Hugh@discussions.microsoft.com> writes
    >> >I feel your pain.
    >> >Try these XP setup instructions from Belkin:
    >> >http://web.belkin.com/support/kb/kb.asp?a=3725&langid=1
    >>
    >> Hugh - this deals with a peer to peer set up. I have a wireless access
    >> point set up.
    >>
    >> Back to the drawing board I suppose.
    >>
    >> Thanks for your time.

    >> --
    >> David W Allen
    >> Internet: http://www.oakleyvillage.co.uk
    >> Outgoing mail checked by Norton Anti-Virus 2004

    --
    David W Allen
    Internet: http://www.oakleyvillage.co.uk
    Outgoing mail checked by Norton Anti-Virus 2004
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    First, check for Belkin firmware updates. I solved a similar problem by
    checking their website.
    Make sure you have a share activated on the desktop.

    "David W Allen" wrote:

    > In message <F5FA6CAB-8A1F-4516-A943-D0B544C49CA8@microsoft.com>, Hugh
    > <Hugh@discussions.microsoft.com> writes
    > >Actually, David, you're trying to set up a peer-to-peer network. (As opposed
    > >to a client-server).
    > >Note that the instructions for XP are halfway down the page. I realize the
    > >terminology gets a bit arcane, so start with the basics and try again.
    > >The problems you're having are not at all unusual. All that's required is
    > >infinite patience and" ponder(ing) weak and weary,
    > >Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore."
    > >
    > Hugh - we are beginning to see a little bit of daylight. The desktop can
    > now read the laptop, and the laptop can see the desktop's printer and
    > print, but it cannot access the desktop's IDSL connection, nor can it
    > access the desktop's files, even though file sharing has been set up.
    >
    > The message 'desktop is not accessible. You might not...etc...' appears.
    >
    > The desktop's firewall has been disabled (SP2)
    > >
    > >"David W Allen" wrote:
    > >
    > >> In message <F4BB135A-B31C-4C7C-9AAF-52BB6AF9D253@microsoft.com>, Hugh
    > >> <Hugh@discussions.microsoft.com> writes
    > >>
    > >> Hugh - this deals with a peer to peer set up. I have a wireless access
    > >> point set up.
    > >>
    > >> Back to the drawing board I suppose.
    > >>
    > >> Thanks for your time.

    > >> --
    > >> David W Allen
    > >> Internet: http://www.oakleyvillage.co.uk
    > >> Outgoing mail checked by Norton Anti-Virus 2004
    > >>

    > --
    > David W Allen
    > Internet: http://www.oakleyvillage.co.uk
    > Outgoing mail checked by Norton Anti-Virus 2004

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    In message <832DACB5-993A-42AF-9461-C9EE41CED6EF@microsoft.com>, Hugh
    <Hugh@discussions.microsoft.com> writes
    >First, check for Belkin firmware updates. I solved a similar problem by
    >checking their website.
    >Make sure you have a share activated on the desktop.

    Hugh - thanks for your patience. I am afraid that even though I have
    scoured the Microsoft knowledge base, contacted Belkin, my last report
    was the best that I can achieve. I will have to give the whole thing a
    rest and move on to other work in hand.
    The network was perfectly OK prior to the laptop's troubles and the
    installation of SP2. Perhaps I should uninstall that update?

    Thanks again.

    >"David W Allen" wrote:
    >
    >> In message <F5FA6CAB-8A1F-4516-A943-D0B544C49CA8@microsoft.com>, Hugh
    >> <Hugh@discussions.microsoft.com> writes
    >> >Actually, David, you're trying to set up a peer-to-peer network. (As opposed
    >> >to a client-server).
    >> >Note that the instructions for XP are halfway down the page. I realize the
    >> >terminology gets a bit arcane, so start with the basics and try again.
    >> >The problems you're having are not at all unusual. All that's required is
    >> >infinite patience and" ponder(ing) weak and weary,
    >> >Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore."
    >> >
    >> Hugh - we are beginning to see a little bit of daylight. The desktop can
    >> now read the laptop, and the laptop can see the desktop's printer and
    >> print, but it cannot access the desktop's IDSL connection, nor can it
    >> access the desktop's files, even though file sharing has been set up.
    >>
    >> The message 'desktop is not accessible. You might not...etc...' appears.
    >>
    >> The desktop's firewall has been disabled (SP2)

    --
    David W Allen
    Internet: http://www.oakleyvillage.co.uk
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    In message <Pt+A31A21jmBFwcM@oakleyvillage.demon.co.uk>, David W Allen
    <david@oakleyvillage.co.uk> writes
    >In message <832DACB5-993A-42AF-9461-C9EE41CED6EF@microsoft.com>, Hugh
    ><Hugh@discussions.microsoft.com> writes
    >>First, check for Belkin firmware updates. I solved a similar problem by
    >>checking their website.
    >>Make sure you have a share activated on the desktop.
    >>
    >Hugh - thanks for your patience. I am afraid that even though I have
    >scoured the Microsoft knowledge base, contacted Belkin, my last report
    >was the best that I can achieve. I will have to give the whole thing a
    >rest and move on to other work in hand.
    >The network was perfectly OK prior to the laptop's troubles and the
    >installation of SP2. Perhaps I should uninstall that update?
    >
    >Thanks again.

    Hugh - you very kindly gave me some assistance last week with my
    network connecting difficulties. After many hours, I have now got the 2
    computers to 'see' each other, and I can access the Internet and print
    from the laptop client through the desktop host. I can also share files
    on the laptop and Drive C on the desktop, but the connection will not
    allow the laptop to 'see' the other partitioned drive on the desktop
    known as drives D, E & F, even though they have been set up for sharing.

    Any thoughts on this would be appreciated..
    --
    David W Allen
    Internet: http://www.oakleyvillage.co.uk
    Outgoing mail checked by Norton Anti-Virus 2004

Wireless Networking Wireless Networking