Remote Desktop and Dial up networking

May 19, 2005 9:15:26 PM

Which would be better to set up for some one with no computer skills, that
wants to access thier work computer from thier home computer? They also don't
want to have internet access from home.
May 19, 2005 11:08:04 PM

In order to be able to do Remote desktop you will need to have internet
access. The Dial-up is one way of being able to access the internet. You do
not need much skill in order to use these two features. The hardest part
will probably be setting up the dial-up. Many providers will either provide
you with some sort of software to set it up or instructions how to do it
your self.
The Remote desktop could potentially be difficult only because today's
routers and firewalls will do their best to prevent you from using it. That
is not to say that when you try to use it will not work right away.

--
Pavel

"Slam63" <Slam63@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Which would be better to set up for some one with no computer skills, that
> wants to access thier work computer from thier home computer? They also
> don't
> want to have internet access from home.

Anonymous
May 20, 2005 2:31:35 PM

Reply to message from Slam63 <Slam63@discussions.microsoft.com> (Thu, 19 May 2005 19:15:
26) about "Remote Desktop and Dial up networking":

> Which would be better to set up for some one with no computer skills, that wants to
> access thier work computer from thier home computer? They also don't want to have
> internet access from home.

See this old thread for help with this issue...

http://tinyurl.com/d6z7s

------
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

=== Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 3.1 for the PocketPC
May 20, 2005 2:40:01 PM

Reply to message from Sooner Al <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> (Fri, 20 May 2005 10:31:
35) about "Re: Remote Desktop and Dial up networking":

> Reply to message from Slam63 <Slam63@discussions.microsoft.com> (Thu, 19 May 2005 19:
> 15:
> 26) about "Remote Desktop and Dial up networking":

>> Which would be better to set up for some one with no computer skills, that wants to
>> access thier work computer from thier home computer? They also don't want to have
>> internet access from home.

> See this old thread for help with this issue...

> http://tinyurl.com/d6z7s

> ------
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> === Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 3.1 for the PocketPC

Ooppsss... I misread your original post...See this page for help...

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/Rem....
html

Check with your work network administration to see if your allowed to access your work PC
from home (an untrusted network)...

------
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

=== Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 3.1 for the PocketPC
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 9:24:02 PM

This link comes up with a 404 error.

I can dial into the box at work, but I don't get the screen to access it. At
least I think I'm supposed to get a screen, terminal, window or something. If
I type in the IP of the box I set up as the remote desktop server, it tells
me that the console is open and it can't start another session.

Several article say to "lock the Desktop", so I followed the info to do that
and it actually will lock out the desktop, but I'm not getting anything.

Thanks.

"Sooner Al" wrote:

> Ooppsss... I misread your original post...See this page for help...
>
> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/Rem....
> html
>
> Check with your work network administration to see if your allowed to access your work PC
> from home (an untrusted network)...
>
> ------
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
>
> === Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 3.1 for the PocketPC

Anonymous
May 21, 2005 9:05:53 AM

You need to watch the line wrap in the link. Add the ".html" to the
string...

Al

Slam63 wrote:
> This link comes up with a 404 error.
>
> I can dial into the box at work, but I don't get the screen to access
it. At
> least I think I'm supposed to get a screen, terminal, window or
something. If
> I type in the IP of the box I set up as the remote desktop server, it
tells
> me that the console is open and it can't start another session.
>
> Several article say to "lock the Desktop", so I followed the info to
do that
> and it actually will lock out the desktop, but I'm not getting
anything.

> Thanks.
>
> "Sooner Al" wrote:
>
> > Ooppsss... I misread your original post...See this page for help...

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/Rem....

> > html
> >
> > Check with your work network administration to see if your allowed
to access your work PC
> > from home (an untrusted network)...
> >
> > ------
> > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
> >
> > === Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 3.1 for the PocketPC

Anonymous
May 21, 2005 2:47:01 PM

Thanks, I missed that, not enough caffeine in my diet.
I’ll let you know the results.

"Sooner Al" wrote:

> You need to watch the line wrap in the link. Add the ".html" to the
> string...
>
> Al
>
> Slam63 wrote:
> > This link comes up with a 404 error.
> >
> > I can dial into the box at work, but I don't get the screen to access
> it. At
> > least I think I'm supposed to get a screen, terminal, window or
> something. If
> > I type in the IP of the box I set up as the remote desktop server, it
> tells
> > me that the console is open and it can't start another session.
> >
> > Several article say to "lock the Desktop", so I followed the info to
> do that
> > and it actually will lock out the desktop, but I'm not getting
> anything.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > "Sooner Al" wrote:
> >
> > > Ooppsss... I misread your original post...See this page for help...
>

> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/Rem....
>
> > > html
> > >
> > > Check with your work network administration to see if your allowed
> to access your work PC
> > > from home (an untrusted network)...
> > >
> > > ------
> > > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
> > >
> > > === Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 3.1 for the PocketPC

Anonymous
May 26, 2005 8:39:02 PM

Thanks, that helped.

Of course now what I am wondering is; can I Remote Desktop through a dial up
connection, to a computer running XP? I've been trying it and it keeps coming
back with a Error 733, even when I use the default settings and identical
modems on both ends.

What I'm trying to do is set up computer "A", with XP pro, to allow access
from computer "B", with XP pro, to dial in through the modem, connect to
Remote Desktop on computer "A", or others on that network (a small office of
5 computers), for maintenance, and whatever.

Is it possible?

"Slam63" wrote:

> Thanks, I missed that, not enough caffeine in my diet.
> I’ll let you know the results.
>

> "Sooner Al" wrote:
>
> > You need to watch the line wrap in the link. Add the ".html" to the
> > string...
> >
> > Al
> >
> > Slam63 wrote:
> > > This link comes up with a 404 error.
> > >
> > > I can dial into the box at work, but I don't get the screen to access
> > it. At
> > > least I think I'm supposed to get a screen, terminal, window or
> > something. If
> > > I type in the IP of the box I set up as the remote desktop server, it
> > tells
> > > me that the console is open and it can't start another session.
> > >
> > > Several article say to "lock the Desktop", so I followed the info to
> > do that
> > > and it actually will lock out the desktop, but I'm not getting
> > anything.
> > >
> > > Thanks.

> > http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/Rem....

> > to access your work PC

Anonymous
May 27, 2005 10:08:56 AM

Well, I connected into an XP Pro box (for test purposes) from my iPAQ PocketPC and used the PocketPC
Terminal Services Client (Remote Desktop equivalent) and that worked. The only difference was that I
followed these instructions...

http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn_server....

....versus these instructions...

http://tinyurl.com/d6z7s

....when I setup XP as a PPTP VPN server...

Are you running any firewall type software on the PC that may be blocking incoming Remote Desktop
connections?

--

> Thanks, that helped.
>
> Of course now what I am wondering is; can I Remote Desktop through a dial up
> connection, to a computer running XP? I've been trying it and it keeps coming
> back with a Error 733, even when I use the default settings and identical
> modems on both ends.
>
> What I'm trying to do is set up computer "A", with XP pro, to allow access
> from computer "B", with XP pro, to dial in through the modem, connect to
> Remote Desktop on computer "A", or others on that network (a small office of
> 5 computers), for maintenance, and whatever.
>
> Is it possible?

Anonymous
June 2, 2005 1:52:18 PM

I believe the problem I was having came from McAfee. The boxes were from Dell
and had McAfee preloaded, at a early point in the setup it offered to make
McAfee the default security package.

My work around was to a)Do a system restore. b)Not select McAfee as default.
c)Do port through McAfee AND Windows security.

I tried several different setups, but this was the only one that worked for
me. I could not get any response with the McAfee set as primary security.

Thanks for your help.

!