No Actors = No Movie

I'm a part-time filmmaker and recently was forced to move to a small
town (population 10,000) due to my job, I was living in a pretty big
city and could easily put out a notice that I was casting a film and
would get tons of actors to audition, now living in a small town miles
from any big city, I am lucky to have a clown show up for an audition.
So I guess my days of filmmaking are over until I move to a bigger
city.

I don't want to use family or friends, because I want to make a quality
movie for festivals. I've posted online, in the newspaper and put
flyers around town and yet no one wants to be in the movie or are just
no good. There is a college here with a small amount of drama students,
but I've had no response from them. I think the problem is in the
bigger cities you have people who are desperate to act and will do
anything just to have something on their resume or reel, while in a
small town it's the fun factor "oh well, being in a movie might be fun
even though I can't act". Anybody who is really serious about acting
are living in a bigger city, why would they stay in a small town if
they want to be in movies or on TV.

What about getting actors from the big city to come over? I can pay for
their gas and they can even stay at my house. The big city is about 120
miles from where I live, so I'm not sure if anyone would be willing to
drive 240 miles for a non paying gig.

So, I'm hanging up the camera for now, until I am able to get some good
actors.

If there's a university, you should be able to find willing talent. Even one
without a drama department may have an amateur acting group - same for high
schools. Don't put up notices - *talk* to the TA's and students - get them
*excited* about your projects and they'll make the effort to be involved
because people want to be involved with interesting projects.

If you're serious about telling stories, I wouldn't give up on it. If you
haven't already read "Rebel Without a Crew" - run, don't walk - to your
nearest bookstore and buy it. (or order online). You can get a lot done in
very little time with pre-planning.

I'm a bit spoiled in a town of 1 million with at least 3 universities and
I've lost count of colleges and 2ndary schools but I've lived in tiny little
towns - population 40, cows - find a way.

Good luck!

C.j

"film_fan_1" <slapper2000@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm a part-time filmmaker and recently was forced to move to a small
> town (population 10,000) due to my job, I was living in a pretty big
> city and could easily put out a notice that I was casting a film and
> would get tons of actors to audition, now living in a small town miles
> from any big city, I am lucky to have a clown show up for an audition.
> So I guess my days of filmmaking are over until I move to a bigger
> city.
>
> I don't want to use family or friends, because I want to make a quality
> movie for festivals. I've posted online, in the newspaper and put
> flyers around town and yet no one wants to be in the movie or are just
> no good. There is a college here with a small amount of drama students,
> but I've had no response from them. I think the problem is in the
> bigger cities you have people who are desperate to act and will do
> anything just to have something on their resume or reel, while in a
> small town it's the fun factor "oh well, being in a movie might be fun
> even though I can't act". Anybody who is really serious about acting
> are living in a bigger city, why would they stay in a small town if
> they want to be in movies or on TV.
>
> What about getting actors from the big city to come over? I can pay for
> their gas and they can even stay at my house. The big city is about 120
> miles from where I live, so I'm not sure if anyone would be willing to
> drive 240 miles for a non paying gig.
>
> So, I'm hanging up the camera for now, until I am able to get some good
> actors.

bite me
"film_fan_1" <slapper2000@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm a part-time filmmaker and recently was forced to move to a small
> town (population 10,000) due to my job, I was living in a pretty big
> city and could easily put out a notice that I was casting a film and
> would get tons of actors to audition, now living in a small town miles
> from any big city, I am lucky to have a clown show up for an audition.
> So I guess my days of filmmaking are over until I move to a bigger
> city.
>
> I don't want to use family or friends, because I want to make a quality
> movie for festivals. I've posted online, in the newspaper and put
> flyers around town and yet no one wants to be in the movie or are just
> no good. There is a college here with a small amount of drama students,
> but I've had no response from them. I think the problem is in the
> bigger cities you have people who are desperate to act and will do
> anything just to have something on their resume or reel, while in a
> small town it's the fun factor "oh well, being in a movie might be fun
> even though I can't act". Anybody who is really serious about acting
> are living in a bigger city, why would they stay in a small town if
> they want to be in movies or on TV.
>
> What about getting actors from the big city to come over? I can pay for
> their gas and they can even stay at my house. The big city is about 120
> miles from where I live, so I'm not sure if anyone would be willing to
> drive 240 miles for a non paying gig.
>
> So, I'm hanging up the camera for now, until I am able to get some good
> actors.

Make a documentary abomut a filmmaker who can't find any actors. Sounds like
heaven to me actually.

"film_fan_1" <slapper2000@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm a part-time filmmaker and recently was forced to move to a small
> town (population 10,000) due to my job, I was living in a pretty big
> city and could easily put out a notice that I was casting a film and
> would get tons of actors to audition, now living in a small town miles
> from any big city, I am lucky to have a clown show up for an audition.
> So I guess my days of filmmaking are over until I move to a bigger
> city.
>
> I don't want to use family or friends, because I want to make a quality
> movie for festivals. I've posted online, in the newspaper and put
> flyers around town and yet no one wants to be in the movie or are just
> no good. There is a college here with a small amount of drama students,
> but I've had no response from them. I think the problem is in the
> bigger cities you have people who are desperate to act and will do
> anything just to have something on their resume or reel, while in a
> small town it's the fun factor "oh well, being in a movie might be fun
> even though I can't act". Anybody who is really serious about acting
> are living in a bigger city, why would they stay in a small town if
> they want to be in movies or on TV.
>
> What about getting actors from the big city to come over? I can pay for
> their gas and they can even stay at my house. The big city is about 120
> miles from where I live, so I'm not sure if anyone would be willing to
> drive 240 miles for a non paying gig.
>
> So, I'm hanging up the camera for now, until I am able to get some good
> actors.

"nap" wrote ...
> Make a documentary abomut a filmmaker who can't find
> any actors. Sounds like heaven to me actually.

Brilliant! :)

Or take advantage of the "reality" fad and make a counter-cultural
spoof of life in the countryside.

Or get actually engaged with the local college (by taking classes
or serving as an instructor or whatever) and build support for a
local production.

ROTFL!

Man, why didn't I think of that? That's thinkin' outside the box!

:D

C.

"nap" <gospam@yourself.com> wrote in message
> Make a documentary abomut a filmmaker who can't find any actors. Sounds
> like heaven to me actually.
>

> "film_fan_1" <slapper2000@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I'm a part-time filmmaker and recently was forced to move to a small
>> town (population 10,000) due to my job, I was living in a pretty big
>> city and could easily put out a notice that I was casting a film and
>> would get tons of actors to audition, now living in a small town miles
>> from any big city, I am lucky to have a clown show up for an audition.
>> So I guess my days of filmmaking are over until I move to a bigger
>> city.
>>
>> I don't want to use family or friends, because I want to make a quality
>> movie for festivals. I've posted online, in the newspaper and put
>> flyers around town and yet no one wants to be in the movie or are just
>> no good. There is a college here with a small amount of drama students,
>> but I've had no response from them. I think the problem is in the
>> bigger cities you have people who are desperate to act and will do
>> anything just to have something on their resume or reel, while in a
>> small town it's the fun factor "oh well, being in a movie might be fun
>> even though I can't act". Anybody who is really serious about acting
>> are living in a bigger city, why would they stay in a small town if
>> they want to be in movies or on TV.
>>
>> What about getting actors from the big city to come over? I can pay for
>> their gas and they can even stay at my house. The big city is about 120
>> miles from where I live, so I'm not sure if anyone would be willing to
>> drive 240 miles for a non paying gig.
>>
>> So, I'm hanging up the camera for now, until I am able to get some good
>> actors.

TRENDING THREADS