Making a dvd from many vobs

My son got 4 free cartoon DVDs from a fast food chain. He is autistic so
(a) he loves playing them endlessly and (b) he puts the discs in himself
so they eventually end up scratched/dirty/cracked and not playable.

Each disc is only about 1gb in size so I want to take the vobs from all
discs (which I have done, they are now on my HD) and make one DVD
containing all cartoons so he will still have them when he damages the
originals. I think this is called re-authoring.

I don't want to re-encode as mpg then back to vob (which is what my
Ulead software wants to do) so what is the easiest way to get the vobs
onto one dvd? Forgive me if this is a silly question but I have been out
of the dvd/burning loop for a while and have forgotten heaps (not that I
knew heaps in the first place mind you ;-)).

R.

Andre

Mike Echo wrote:
> My son got 4 free cartoon DVDs from a fast food chain. He is autistic
so
> (a) he loves playing them endlessly and (b) he puts the discs in
himself
> so they eventually end up scratched/dirty/cracked and not playable.

Use DVD-lab Pro. Worked for me when joining VOBs from videos I
recorded on recordable DVD made by Philips.
Andre

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 03:20:12 GMT, Mike Echo <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>My son got 4 free cartoon DVDs from a fast food chain. He is autistic so
>(a) he loves playing them endlessly and (b) he puts the discs in himself
>so they eventually end up scratched/dirty/cracked and not playable.
>
>Each disc is only about 1gb in size so I want to take the vobs from all
>discs (which I have done, they are now on my HD) and make one DVD
>containing all cartoons so he will still have them when he damages the
>originals. I think this is called re-authoring.
>
>I don't want to re-encode as mpg then back to vob (which is what my
>Ulead software wants to do) so what is the easiest way to get the vobs
>onto one dvd? Forgive me if this is a silly question but I have been out
>of the dvd/burning loop for a while and have forgotten heaps (not that I
>knew heaps in the first place mind you ;-)).

Try the software from Ahead. NeroVision Express will do the job. The
well known Nero Burning Rom will burn your dvd.

Do you need more control? Take a look at: DVDLabPro.

"Funprice" <jhbusscherNOSPAMWHATSOEVER@freemail.nl> wrote in message
> On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 03:20:12 GMT, Mike Echo <me@privacy.net> wrote:
>
>>My son got 4 free cartoon DVDs from a fast food chain. He is autistic so
>>(a) he loves playing them endlessly and (b) he puts the discs in himself
>>so they eventually end up scratched/dirty/cracked and not playable.
>>
>>Each disc is only about 1gb in size so I want to take the vobs from all
>>discs (which I have done, they are now on my HD) and make one DVD
>>containing all cartoons so he will still have them when he damages the
>>originals. I think this is called re-authoring.
>>
>>I don't want to re-encode as mpg then back to vob (which is what my
>>Ulead software wants to do) so what is the easiest way to get the vobs
>>onto one dvd? Forgive me if this is a silly question but I have been out
>>of the dvd/burning loop for a while and have forgotten heaps (not that I
>>knew heaps in the first place mind you ;-)).
>
> Try the software from Ahead. NeroVision Express will do the job. The
> well known Nero Burning Rom will burn your dvd.
>
> Do you need more control? Take a look at: DVDLabPro.

Nerovision will re-encode any thing it can, DVDLabPro is $200,
DVDlab will do what you want and is only $100. I find that the
$70 TMPGEnc DVD Author to be a more intuitive and less
complicated program that is quicker and more efficient while
producing excellent results. www.pegasys-inc.com for a free
30 day trial.

There are free options like using DVDShrink to "Reauthor"
a DVD. (If the original disks have any encryption, you will need
to use DVDShrink or another decrypt program to extract the
movie data.) There are "How to guides" available.

There is even free Authoring projects like DVD Author that
are command line programs ( but there are GUIs available for
it)

Check out the Author info at www.videohelp.com

Luck;
Ken