Inexpensive Video Editing Tool - Home Use

Greetings group.

1. I have a bunch of MPEGs that I want to cut and splice, in some
cases removing commercials.

2. I have some home movies that I want to capture and edit.

I have the Roxio Easy Media Creator 7.0 Basic Edition which seems to do
next to nothing except burn dvds.

Is there software out there that costs less than $30 that can do these
basic things. Even one out of two would be good.

I looked at http://www.videohelp.com , but I don't just like
downloading and installing programs I don't know much about? Are there
programs people are willing to vouch for? How do I know if any of
these freely downloadable programs or shareware have malicious bugs
wrapped in them?

Thank you.

Andrew
11 answers Last reply
More about inexpensive video editing tool home

    "AndrewC" <tech7890@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Greetings group.
    >
    > 1. I have a bunch of MPEGs that I want to cut and splice, in some
    > cases removing commercials.

    For that, it's hard to beat VideoReDo, www.VideoReDo.com
    It's more than $30, but you may find it worth the few extra bucks.

    > 2. I have some home movies that I want to capture and edit.
    >
    > I have the Roxio Easy Media Creator 7.0 Basic Edition which seems to do
    > next to nothing except burn dvds.
    >
    > Is there software out there that costs less than $30 that can do these
    > basic things. Even one out of two would be good.

    For home movies, and an effective editing package, $30 is a real
    challenge. One package that I've been able to get working fairly
    well is Magix's "Video Deluxe 2.0 Plus" that I found using the
    "Froogle" function of Google, for $9.95. It is much the same as the
    "Movie Edit 2004" that you may still be able to download a trial of.
    www.magix.com

    > I looked at http://www.videohelp.com , but I don't just like
    > downloading and installing programs I don't know much about? Are there
    > programs people are willing to vouch for? How do I know if any of
    > these freely downloadable programs or shareware have malicious bugs
    > wrapped in them?
    >
    > Thank you.
    >
    > Andrew

    A little Paranoia goes a long way, but don't get carried
    away.

    There are too many factors that impact on what will even
    work at all, for an individual. What works perfectly on one
    system may not even install on another. Add in the major
    factor of the installer's experience and ability to work out
    any issues/problems to "get it working"; any recommendation
    is just an expression of what the recommender has
    encountered.

    You may want to try those programs that offer free trial
    periods, and in that way find what works for you. Most
    companies would take great pains to insure that your
    trial period leaves you wanting to buy their product,
    including "malicious bugs" is generally frowned on.

    Luck;
    Ken

    Thank you very much Ken.

    The web site, "videohelp.com", suggested "Womble MPEG2VCR" and "TMPGEnc
    Plus" for cutting a splicing? Have you ever heard of these?

    I have wasted many an hour trying to use that Roxio Easy Medio Creator
    7.0 Basic, and so I'd think I'll spend the extra couple bucks, as you
    say, and get something that works.

    Andy

    I suspect everyone here has heard of Womble and TMPGEnc, Andy. ;)
    Haven't used either myself (yet) but a lot of folks do.

    C.

    > Thank you very much Ken.
    >
    > The web site, "videohelp.com", suggested "Womble MPEG2VCR" and "TMPGEnc
    > Plus" for cutting a splicing? Have you ever heard of these?
    >
    > I have wasted many an hour trying to use that Roxio Easy Medio Creator
    > 7.0 Basic, and so I'd think I'll spend the extra couple bucks, as you
    > say, and get something that works.
    >
    > Andy

    "AndrewC" <tech7890@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Thank you very much Ken.
    >
    > The web site, "videohelp.com", suggested "Womble MPEG2VCR" and "TMPGEnc
    > Plus" for cutting a splicing? Have you ever heard of these?
    >
    > I have wasted many an hour trying to use that Roxio Easy Medio Creator
    > 7.0 Basic, and so I'd think I'll spend the extra couple bucks, as you
    > say, and get something that works.
    >
    > Andy

    "Womble MPEG2VCR" was the first frame accurate MPEG "editor"
    out there, VideoReDo is a newer program that includes measures to
    bring the MPEG more in compliance with the DVD specifications and
    addresses lip-sync issues. They are very similar. Womble has a newer
    program that costs more and has additional capabilities.

    TMPGEnc Plus, is an Encoder but does have a set of "MPEG tools"
    that includes an I-frame/GOP based cut feature. ( It's not frame accurate)

    The guides are getting a little out-of-date in some regards, there
    are some newer tools and added features to the old tools that
    aren't being covered. Still, they provide good advice and procedures.

    Luck;
    Ken

    > "Womble MPEG2VCR" was the first frame accurate MPEG "editor"
    > out there, VideoReDo is a newer program that includes measures to
    > bring the MPEG more in compliance with the DVD specifications and
    > addresses lip-sync issues. They are very similar. Womble has a newer
    > program that costs more and has additional capabilities.
    >
    > TMPGEnc Plus, is an Encoder but does have a set of "MPEG tools"
    > that includes an I-frame/GOP based cut feature. ( It's not frame
    accurate)

    > The guides are getting a little out-of-date in some regards, there
    > are some newer tools and added features to the old tools that
    > aren't being covered. Still, they provide good advice and
    procedures.

    > Luck;
    > Ken

    Wow. I have to tell you this is over my head a bit. I tried that
    "VideoReDo", and its great! However whenever I try and burn the MPEGs
    to DVDs the Roxio software, Easy Media Creator 7.0 Basic does some odd
    conversions to the files. I'll take two 55 minute programs at about 1
    GB each (already reduced quality) and Roxio says they won't fit on a
    DVD unless I go through this lengthy process to degrade the quality to
    "Low". That seem so take several hours!

    Andy
    Can anyone recommend good software to actually burn the MPEG to a DVD?
    With all the tools I am talking about now, I think I may just need to
    buy a suite of tools. I really like that "VideoReDo" though.

    > TMPGEnc DVD Author will let you (1) remove the commercials, (2)
    create a
    > menu for your DVD, and (3) write (burn) the DVD. It is also a bit
    more than
    > $30 -- the box version of v.1.5 is now $57 -- but I think you'd find
    it
    > worthwhile as a one-program solution for the needs you describe.
    >
    > For editing, TDA's disadvantage compared to VideoReDo is that TDA
    won't do
    > frame-accurate edits; it will cut at the nearest new GOP (a grouping
    of
    > frames). But as a practical matter, I think you'll generally find it
    makes
    > little diference for removing commercials.

    Is there any decent free software for burning or anything with a trial
    period that is nearly fully functional?

    Thank you SO MUCH to everyone for your help.

    AndrewC wrote:
    > Is there any decent free software for burning or anything with a trial
    > period that is nearly fully functional?

    Well, your Roxio has Disk Copier, which you can use to burn a DVD
    authored to a folder on your HDD...

    >> "Womble MPEG2VCR" was the first frame accurate MPEG "editor"
    >> out there, VideoReDo is a newer program that includes measures to
    >> bring the MPEG more in compliance with the DVD specifications and
    >> addresses lip-sync issues. They are very similar. Womble has a newer
    >> program that costs more and has additional capabilities.
    >>
    >> TMPGEnc Plus, is an Encoder but does have a set of "MPEG tools"
    >> that includes an I-frame/GOP based cut feature. ( It's not frame
    > accurate)
    >>
    >> The guides are getting a little out-of-date in some regards, there
    >> are some newer tools and added features to the old tools that
    >> aren't being covered. Still, they provide good advice and
    > procedures.
    >>
    >> Luck;
    >> Ken
    >
    > Wow. I have to tell you this is over my head a bit. I tried that
    > "VideoReDo", and its great! However whenever I try and burn the MPEGs
    > to DVDs the Roxio software, Easy Media Creator 7.0 Basic does some odd
    > conversions to the files. I'll take two 55 minute programs at about 1
    > GB each (already reduced quality) and Roxio says they won't fit on a
    > DVD unless I go through this lengthy process to degrade the quality to
    > "Low". That seem so take several hours!

    It is reconding to LPCM audio, I suspect. Have you ever actually read and
    studied the options?

    > Andy
    > Can anyone recommend good software to actually burn the MPEG to a DVD?
    > With all the tools I am talking about now, I think I may just need to
    > buy a suite of tools. I really like that "VideoReDo" though.

    "AndrewC" <tech7890@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > Wow. I have to tell you this is over my head a bit. I tried that
    > "VideoReDo", and its great! However whenever I try and burn the MPEGs
    > to DVDs the Roxio software, Easy Media Creator 7.0 Basic does some odd
    > conversions to the files. I'll take two 55 minute programs at about 1
    > GB each (already reduced quality) and Roxio says they won't fit on a
    > DVD unless I go through this lengthy process to degrade the quality to
    > "Low". That seem so take several hours!

    It is likely that the bitrate recorded in the MPEG headers is wrong and way
    too high. Some TV shows I record have the bitrate set to 15Kbps even though
    the actual bitrate is 6Kbps. VideoReDo by default does not change the
    bitrate. Next time you edit in VideoReDo, when you click on "Save As...",
    first click on Options and set the bitrate to something like 6000 and then
    save the file. This does not cause the MPEG stream to be re-encoded, it just
    sets the bitrate value in the header. You may then find that Roxio will
    accept the MPEG as is without re-encoding to a lower quality.

    Ken.

    "Ken Bosward" <noname@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > "AndrewC" <tech7890@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Wow. I have to tell you this is over my head a bit. I tried that
    >> "VideoReDo", and its great! However whenever I try and burn the MPEGs
    >> to DVDs the Roxio software, Easy Media Creator 7.0 Basic does some odd
    >> conversions to the files. I'll take two 55 minute programs at about 1
    >> GB each (already reduced quality) and Roxio says they won't fit on a
    >> DVD unless I go through this lengthy process to degrade the quality to
    >> "Low". That seem so take several hours!
    >
    > It is likely that the bitrate recorded in the MPEG headers is wrong and
    > way
    > too high. Some TV shows I record have the bitrate set to 15Kbps even
    > though
    > the actual bitrate is 6Kbps. VideoReDo by default does not change the
    > bitrate. Next time you edit in VideoReDo, when you click on "Save As...",
    > first click on Options and set the bitrate to something like 6000 and then
    > save the file. This does not cause the MPEG stream to be re-encoded, it
    > just
    > sets the bitrate value in the header. You may then find that Roxio will
    > accept the MPEG as is without re-encoding to a lower quality.
    >
    > Ken.

    Doh! That should have been 15Mbps and 6Mbps (not 15Kbps and 6Kbps). And the
    available bitrates in VideoReDo Options are expressed in Mbps, so you should
    set the bitrate to something like 6Mbps. Sorry if I confused anybody, my
    fault for rushing the post and doing it from memory.

    Ken.

Tuner Cards Video Editing Graphics