quickest program for trimming video files

I'm working on a project for my extended family. I have been provided
with about 350 video clips (already digitized) and I'm creating a video
scrap-book of sorts.

The clips, obviously, need to be trimmed quite extensively.

Every program that I've found to do this either takes well over an hour
to cut a 30 minute clip to 20 minutes, or dramatically increases the
file size.

I'm looking for something very quick, very simple and that will either
leave the file size the same or decrease it. A free utility would be
great, but I'm perfectly willing to buy one (especially if there is a
trial version so I can test it out).

Anyone have any suggestions?

JS

"JShorr" <jshorr@pobox.com> wrote in message
> I'm working on a project for my extended family. I have been provided
> with about 350 video clips (already digitized) and I'm creating a video
> scrap-book of sorts.
>
> The clips, obviously, need to be trimmed quite extensively.
>
> Every program that I've found to do this either takes well over an hour
> to cut a 30 minute clip to 20 minutes, or dramatically increases the
> file size.
>
> I'm looking for something very quick, very simple and that will either
> leave the file size the same or decrease it. A free utility would be
> great, but I'm perfectly willing to buy one (especially if there is a
> trial version so I can test it out).
>
> Anyone have any suggestions?
>
> JS

??video clips (already digitized)??

If that means MPEG 1/2 then I would recommend VideoReDo.
www.VideoReDo.com

If it is not MPEG or you plan adding image altering effects, then
there are a number of editing packages available, although in this
arena you have to abandon fast, if you want good results.

Luck;
Ken

"JShorr" wrote ...
> I'm working on a project for my extended family. I have been provided
> with about 350 video clips (already digitized) and I'm creating a
> video
> scrap-book of sorts.
>
> The clips, obviously, need to be trimmed quite extensively.
>
> Every program that I've found to do this either takes well over an
> hour
> to cut a 30 minute clip to 20 minutes, or dramatically increases the
> file size.
>
> I'm looking for something very quick, very simple and that will either
> leave the file size the same or decrease it. A free utility would be
> great, but I'm perfectly willing to buy one (especially if there is a
> trial version so I can test it out).
>
> Anyone have any suggestions?

You will get no helpful responses until you reveal what file format
(AVI?) and codec (DV?) the clips are. Else we will just make wild
guesses, most of which will be not only unhelpful, but most like mis-
leading as well.

But whatever format/codec they are, taking more than a few seconds
to cut part of a clip seems out of line. Sounds like a prime symptom
of using the wrong tools for the format/codec.

Sorry. Various formats/codecs, though. I did discover VirtualDub,
which takes care of MOST of the AVI files.

For some reason, the files from my cousin (AVI with the XViD codec)
will not work. VirtualDub gives the error message: "No Audio
Decompressor found to decompress the source audio format"

In addition, I have some WMV files which, I think, are uneditable
(please tell me if I'm wrong, If I'm not I'll have to just dump these
clips and there are quite a few) and some MPEG clips (my codec viewer
says N/A for codec type for the MPEGs).

Thanks for helping a noob.