converting files to mpeg2 (pulling my hair out, please rea..

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 24, 2005 6:46:51 AM

My wife has numerous vcds that she wants me to convert to dvd for her.
I have went about using VCDGear to rip the vcd files to mpegs, joined
them (they are two disc vcd's) then using DVD Lab Pro to convert these
files and use the audio transcode option to seperate the audio from the
video etc.

I have even made a complete working dvd with menus etc since i can fit
three full length standard vcds onto one dvd.

but using dvd lab to convert them is a pain. the audio transcode is
slow and it cand do batchs as far as i can tell.
i need to fit these files onto 4.7 gb dvd's as well, so i need to
consider space.

i have tried dvd santa but that program is so limited it isnt funny.

tmpeng plus takes five hours plus to conver these files to mpeg2, and
then when it does there is a frozen frame at the very end about 80%
into it, and the files are useless... every one i have tried to
convert.

So what the heck. there has to be a better way, at least i HOPE so. its
so annoying.
I am trying boilsoft to convert some AVI files to dvd files, no idea if
THAT will work either.

Why does this have to be so hard. is there an easier and faster way i
am not seeing?

Please help!
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 12:43:45 PM

"Steven C" <stevenjcampbell@gmail.com> wrote in message
> My wife has numerous vcds that she wants me to convert to dvd for her.
> I have went about using VCDGear to rip the vcd files to mpegs, joined
> them (they are two disc vcd's) then using DVD Lab Pro to convert these
> files and use the audio transcode option to seperate the audio from the
> video etc.

You might try using TMPGEnc DVD Author instead of DVDLabPro
for this, its audio transcoding is fast with or without the AC3 plugin.
www.pegasys-inc.com for trial. ( The terms are so loose I should point
out that: If your "VCD"s are MPEG1 NTSC 352x240 / PAL 352x288,
Max. 1.8Mbps, and CBR video; then you can author them directly)

> I have even made a complete working dvd with menus etc since i can fit
> three full length standard vcds onto one dvd.
>
> but using dvd lab to convert them is a pain. the audio transcode is
> slow and it cand do batchs as far as i can tell.
> i need to fit these files onto 4.7 gb dvd's as well, so i need to
> consider space.
>
> i have tried dvd santa but that program is so limited it isnt funny.
>
> tmpeng plus takes five hours plus to conver these files to mpeg2, and
> then when it does there is a frozen frame at the very end about 80%
> into it, and the files are useless... every one i have tried to
> convert.
>
> So what the heck. there has to be a better way, at least i HOPE so. its
> so annoying.
> I am trying boilsoft to convert some AVI files to dvd files, no idea if
> THAT will work either.
>
> Why does this have to be so hard. is there an easier and faster way i
> am not seeing?
>
> Please help!

Anonymous
April 24, 2005 6:31:46 PM

i will try that. my vcds are indeed standard mpeg1... i have tried a
few of the tutorials on videohelp.com and got ONE good result, so i
hope i can get through it with tmpgenc...
April 24, 2005 8:36:02 PM

Steven C wrote:

> My wife has numerous vcds that she wants me to convert to dvd
> for her. [...] tmpeng plus takes five hours plus to conver
> these files to mpeg2 [...] Why does this have to be so hard.
> is there an easier and faster way i am not seeing?

Can't offer any recommendation of a simple tool for the job. However,
_re-encoding_ VCD MPEG-1 streams to MPEG-2 with TMPGEnc definitely does
not sound right.

The DVD format is designed to be compatible with the original MPEG-1
video streams, so you won't need to re-encode them to MPEG-2. Doing so
will only make the quality worse for no added benefits. The only thing
which _needs_ reencoding in order to get the footage in a standard DVD
format is the audio stream, as DVD audio streams must be based on 48 kHz
sampling rate and not 44.1 kHz.

--
znark
April 25, 2005 2:37:02 PM

Ken Maltby wrote:
> "Steven C" <stevenjcampbell@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>My wife has numerous vcds that she wants me to convert to dvd for her.
>>I have went about using VCDGear to rip the vcd files to mpegs, joined
>>them (they are two disc vcd's) then using DVD Lab Pro to convert these
>>files and use the audio transcode option to seperate the audio from the
>>video etc.
>>

> You might try using TMPGEnc DVD Author instead of DVDLabPro
> for this, its audio transcoding is fast with or without the AC3 plugin.
> www.pegasys-inc.com for trial. ( The terms are so loose I should point
> out that: If your "VCD"s are MPEG1 NTSC 352x240 / PAL 352x288,
> Max. 1.8Mbps, and CBR video; then you can author them directly)
>

>>I have even made a complete working dvd with menus etc since i can fit
>>three full length standard vcds onto one dvd.
>>
>>but using dvd lab to convert them is a pain. the audio transcode is
>>slow and it cand do batchs as far as i can tell.
>>i need to fit these files onto 4.7 gb dvd's as well, so i need to
>>consider space.
>>
>>i have tried dvd santa but that program is so limited it isnt funny.
>>
>>tmpeng plus takes five hours plus to conver these files to mpeg2, and
>>then when it does there is a frozen frame at the very end about 80%
>>into it, and the files are useless... every one i have tried to
>>convert.
>>
>>So what the heck. there has to be a better way, at least i HOPE so. its
>>so annoying.
>>I am trying boilsoft to convert some AVI files to dvd files, no idea if
>>THAT will work either.
>>
>>Why does this have to be so hard. is there an easier and faster way i
>>am not seeing?
>>
>>Please help!

I'm with Ken on this one. I believe DVD lab will accept the half d1 file
format also. So no need to transcode if they are in fact in the format
Ken mentions. So, you may have jumped past the quick and easy solution.
Something I do all the time before eventually saying....Doh!

Otherwise the Tsunami product trial is a good way to go.
!