Remote Assist Sends Internal Not External IP?

kahuna

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2004

Hi Folks

I am using RA to allow clients to view our demo across the web. I retain
control of my desktop and all works nicely - to a degree!

The invitations I send are incorporating my Local Network IP rather than my
Public IP as set in my NAT Router. This can be fixed using notepad to
doctor-up the invite XML, but its a pain getting clients to play with that
invite or even doing it myself and re-sending.

Is there a way to set the invite process to get my Public IP?

--
Kahuna
------------

Two things to/try...

* Create an invitation file with an expiration period of the maximum 99
days. See this page for help...

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteAssistance/RemoteAssistance.html

* Next modify the invitation file and use a fully qualified domain name
versus your public IP. You should be able to use a free one from a service
like No-IP.com for example.

* Send the modified invitation file to your client.

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

benefit of all of us...

"Kahuna" wrote:

> Hi Folks
>
> I am using RA to allow clients to view our demo across the web. I retain
> control of my desktop and all works nicely - to a degree!
>
> The invitations I send are incorporating my Local Network IP rather than my
> Public IP as set in my NAT Router. This can be fixed using notepad to
> doctor-up the invite XML, but its a pain getting clients to play with that
> invite or even doing it myself and re-sending.
>
> Is there a way to set the invite process to get my Public IP?
>

> --
> Kahuna
> ------------

kahuna

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2004

Thanks Al, that's what I am doing at the moment - but I'd like to figure out
how to get my fixed IP in there automatically so I don't need to doctor it
up each time.

Cheers

--
Kahuna
------------

Reply to message from "Kahuna" <none@gonewest.com> (Sun, 22 May 2005 04:05:16) about "Re:
Remote Assist Sends Internal Not External IP?":

> Thanks Al, that's what I am doing at the moment - but I'd like to figure out how to get
> my fixed IP in there automatically so I don't need to doctor it up each time.

> Cheers

> --
> Kahuna
> ------------
> "Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net. invalid> wrote in message news: D2810845-933E-
> 4855-A2EC- F72FF2B41FDC@microsoft.com...
>> Two things to/try...

>> * Create an invitation file with an expiration period of the maximum 99 days. See this
>> page for help...

>> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/ RemoteAssistance/RemoteAssistance. html

>> * Next modify the invitation file and use a fully qualified domain name versus your
>> public IP. You should be able to use a free one from a service like No- IP.com for
>> example.

>> * Send the modified invitation file to your client.

>> --
>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

>> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual benefit of
>> all of us...

>> "Kahuna" wrote:

>>> Hi Folks

>>> I am using RA to allow clients to view our demo across the web. I retain control of
>>> my desktop and all works nicely - to a degree!

>>> The invitations I send are incorporating my Local Network IP rather than my
>>> Public IP as set in my NAT Router. This can be fixed using notepad to doctor-up the
>>> invite XML, but its a pain getting clients to play with that invite or even doing it
>>> myself and re- sending.

>>> Is there a way to set the invite process to get my Public IP?

>>> --
>>> Kahuna
>>> ------------

I supose you could write a script to do a replacement of the incorrect IP. That's pretty
easy to do in a Linux/UNIX shell, so I guess its fairly easy to do on a Windows box. I
will leave that to the scripting experts...

Good luck...

------
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

=== Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 3.1 for the PocketPC

Just one last thought...Have you seen these articles that deal with RA & UPnP?

http://tinyurl.com/d9w6c

They may, or may not, be helpful...

--

"Sooner Al" wrote:

> Reply to message from "Kahuna" <none@gonewest.com> (Sun, 22 May 2005 04:05:16) about "Re:
> Remote Assist Sends Internal Not External IP?":
>
> > Thanks Al, that's what I am doing at the moment - but I'd like to figure out how to get
> > my fixed IP in there automatically so I don't need to doctor it up each time.
>
> > Cheers
>
> > --
> > Kahuna
> > ------------
> > "Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net. invalid> wrote in message news: D2810845-933E-
> > 4855-A2EC- F72FF2B41FDC@microsoft.com...
> >> Two things to/try...
>
> >> * Create an invitation file with an expiration period of the maximum 99 days. See this
> >> page for help...
>
> >> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/ RemoteAssistance/RemoteAssistance. html
>
> >> * Next modify the invitation file and use a fully qualified domain name versus your
> >> public IP. You should be able to use a free one from a service like No- IP.com for
> >> example.
>
> >> * Send the modified invitation file to your client.
>
> >> --
> >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
>
> >> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual benefit of
> >> all of us...

> I supose you could write a script to do a replacement of the incorrect IP. That's pretty
> easy to do in a Linux/UNIX shell, so I guess its fairly easy to do on a Windows box. I
> will leave that to the scripting experts...
>
> Good luck...
>
> ------
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
>
> === Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 3.1 for the PocketPC

kahuna

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2004

Thanks Al, before I got your last feedback I discovered UPnP was not running
correctly on my Router so after some re-installation (3 hours worth of
jigery-pokery) I now get my public IP on the invites.

Thanks for the help

--
Kahuna