Newbie Question: Good Equipment and Software?

Okay, sorry if it's a FAQ. I did try to google it, but most of the help
out there refers to DV. Read on for my situation...

I have an older Sharp Viewcam (normal 8mm tapes, not Hi8) that has two
RCA analog outputs: one for video and one for audio. I currently have a
Dazzle DVC-80 USB capture device. However, its resolution underwhelms
me, not being at the full NTSC resolution.

I eventually want to upgrade to a decent DV camera, but it's going to
be awhile (Christmas, if I'm a good boy and eat my veggies).

On the hardware side, I need a good device for capturing the Analog
video at NTSC resolution. I also want it to be compatible when I do get
the DV camera so I don't have to upgrade yet again.

Software: I'd like a decent editing package that allows me to create
menus. I'm a bit sick of the "lite" versions that came with the
previous USB devices I had.

I'm perfectly willing to go read a tutorial somewhere if someone can
point me in the right direction.

Jason
3 answers Last reply
More about newbie question good equipment software

    DartmanX wrote:
    > Okay, sorry if it's a FAQ. I did try to google it, but most of the help
    > out there refers to DV. Read on for my situation...
    >
    > I have an older Sharp Viewcam (normal 8mm tapes, not Hi8) that has two
    > RCA analog outputs: one for video and one for audio. I currently have a
    > Dazzle DVC-80 USB capture device. However, its resolution underwhelms
    > me, not being at the full NTSC resolution.
    >
    > I eventually want to upgrade to a decent DV camera, but it's going to
    > be awhile (Christmas, if I'm a good boy and eat my veggies).
    >
    > On the hardware side, I need a good device for capturing the Analog
    > video at NTSC resolution. I also want it to be compatible when I do get
    > the DV camera so I don't have to upgrade yet again.
    >
    > Software: I'd like a decent editing package that allows me to create
    > menus. I'm a bit sick of the "lite" versions that came with the
    > previous USB devices I had.
    >
    > I'm perfectly willing to go read a tutorial somewhere if someone can
    > point me in the right direction.
    >
    > Jason

    If your getting a new DV cam, then you won't need a special device to
    capture. Just a firewire card if your computer dosen't already have one.

    In addition, many of the DV cam will do what they call 'pass through'
    letting you pass through an analog signal to capture it on your PC
    through the firewire connection.

    The DV-80 has a max resolution of 320 x 240 according to the company
    website.

    That is fine for doing Web videos or email clips for Grandma.

    The DV-90 and above show full 720 x 480 capture at 30fps.

    If you have not had it long could you return it to the store and
    upgrade to something better ?

    As has been said the digital cameras generally have a firewire port.
    You can get firewire cards from about $20.

    I went ahead and purchased an ATI TV Wonder Pro, which seems to be
    doing pretty good for me until I get the MiniDV camcorder.

    I was getting a bit sick of getting a good dose of disapointment along
    with the Dazzle equipment I purchased.

    Jason

Tuner Cards Video Graphics