MPG file size limits

I'm wondering what the max file size is for the MPG video/audio files for making
a DVD. How much file space must be left for files other than the original MPG
files. For example if my MPG video and audio file size add up to 3GB how close
am I to approaching the single layer DVD limit?
Sometimes I encode files that are too big to fit. If I have a long video to
encode I will often encode a portion of it and check the file size and do the
math to determine what the final size might be. I am using a variable bit rate
so the estimate is not perfect. But I don't know how large the "other" necessary
files tend to be and therefore the maximum allowable space for the original MPG
files.
4 answers Last reply
More about file size limits

    "DanR" <dhr22@sorrynospm.com> wrote in message
    > I'm wondering what the max file size is for the MPG video/audio files for
    > making
    > a DVD. How much file space must be left for files other than the original
    > MPG
    > files. For example if my MPG video and audio file size add up to 3GB how
    > close
    > am I to approaching the single layer DVD limit?
    > Sometimes I encode files that are too big to fit. If I have a long video
    > encode I will often encode a portion of it and check the file size and do
    > the
    > math to determine what the final size might be. I am using a variable bit
    > rate
    > so the estimate is not perfect. But I don't know how large the "other"
    > necessary
    > files tend to be and therefore the maximum allowable space for the
    > original MPG
    > files.

    That could be a problem, especially when you have to guess
    how many bytes in a GB for each piece of software and the OS.

    I just aim for close but under size, and use DVDShrink on the
    rare occasions I go over.

    If you use TMPGEnc DVD Author and make your own menu
    themes, the indicator at the bottom of the screen will give you a
    pretty good indication of the space available for your .mpgs. ( Be
    sure to set the play time, for any motion menu background in the
    motion menu options, first.) Once you have made your theme
    you can see how much of the available space is taken up by the
    overhead.

    Luck;
    Ken

    DanR wrote:
    > I'm wondering what the max file size is for the MPG video/audio files for making
    > a DVD. How much file space must be left for files other than the original MPG
    > files. For example if my MPG video and audio file size add up to 3GB how close
    > am I to approaching the single layer DVD limit?
    > Sometimes I encode files that are too big to fit. If I have a long video to
    > encode I will often encode a portion of it and check the file size and do the
    > math to determine what the final size might be. I am using a variable bit rate
    > so the estimate is not perfect. But I don't know how large the "other" necessary
    > files tend to be and therefore the maximum allowable space for the original MPG
    > files.

    Assuming you have an MPG2 file with the audio already mixed in with it,
    then most authoring software packages show red when you start getting up
    to about the 4.5 gig size. How complex or not, you may wish to become in
    the menu creation process will help you decide.

    RS wrote:
    > DanR wrote:
    >> I'm wondering what the max file size is for the MPG video/audio files for
    >> making a DVD. How much file space must be left for files other than the
    >> original MPG files. For example if my MPG video and audio file size add up
    >> to 3GB how close am I to approaching the single layer DVD limit?
    >> Sometimes I encode files that are too big to fit. If I have a long video to
    >> encode I will often encode a portion of it and check the file size and do the
    >> math to determine what the final size might be. I am using a variable bit
    >> rate so the estimate is not perfect. But I don't know how large the "other"
    >> necessary files tend to be and therefore the maximum allowable space for the
    >> original MPG files.
    >>

    > Assuming you have an MPG2 file with the audio already mixed in with it,
    > then most authoring software packages show red when you start getting up
    > to about the 4.5 gig size. How complex or not, you may wish to become in
    > the menu creation process will help you decide.

    I use a program named "Stream" and it's associated "Digital Rapids" hardware to
    encode. I encode the video and audio separately so I can normalize the audio.
    This is done before I even think about the authoring with the exception of
    wondering if a long program is going to fit. Most of the time the program is
    just one clip and I use no menus. Just "first play" and when the DVD is finished
    playing it just ends. I have had trouble with files that were under 4GB total.
    When this happens I start over with a lower bitrate but have wasted maybe an
    hour.
    Off the subject but I've also had problems with very complex video causing the
    variable bitrate to sneak over 8Mb even though I had things set to cap the
    bitrate at 8. I've since lowered that setting to 7.5.
    Types of video that have given me this problem are outdoor close-up 35mm film
    footage of wheat being harvested and poorly shot low light video when there is a
    lot of noise in the picture. Apparently the encoder sees the noise as fine
    detail that is constantly changing.

    DanR wrote:

    > I use a program named "Stream" and it's associated "Digital Rapids" hardware to
    > encode. I encode the video and audio separately so I can normalize the audio.
    > This is done before I even think about the authoring with the exception of
    > wondering if a long program is going to fit. Most of the time the program is
    > just one clip and I use no menus. Just "first play" and when the DVD is finished
    > playing it just ends. I have had trouble with files that were under 4GB total.
    > When this happens I start over with a lower bitrate but have wasted maybe an
    > hour.
    > Off the subject but I've also had problems with very complex video causing the
    > variable bitrate to sneak over 8Mb even though I had things set to cap the
    > bitrate at 8. I've since lowered that setting to 7.5.
    > Types of video that have given me this problem are outdoor close-up 35mm film
    > footage of wheat being harvested and poorly shot low light video when there is a
    > lot of noise in the picture. Apparently the encoder sees the noise as fine
    > detail that is constantly changing.

    Seperate Audio and Video streams are what alot of us do. When you say
    4GB are you including the audio file? A PCM wav file can be 4-500 MB in
    size, which may explain the problem you are running into. If so, high
    three's plus audio is what you will aim for. You can also explore
    encoding your audio into AC3 format which will give you a smaller file
    with little loss of quality.

    As for your bitrate problems. I see you have discovered that this is
    just as much an art as a science.

Tuner Cards File Size Encode Video Graphics