VHS => Pinnacle Linx 2 USB => PC

Hi,

I have Pinnacle Linx 2 USB. It came with Studio 8 LE. Is there a better
software out there that I can use to rip VHS movies and store them to
my PC and eventually burn them to CD or DVD? What codec and file format
should I use when I capture the movies?

Anymore tips and tricks and recommendations would be greatly
appreciated!

Thanks.

For VHS capture, it is probably best to use a hardware mpeg-2 capture
device. I use a Pinnacle Studio Moviebox USB 2.0. Not cheap, as they
don't sell it without the software ($250).

You may wish to look at a Hauppauge ($150). I have heard good things
about the following:

http://www.hauppauge.com/Pages/products/data_pvrusb2.html

My method is:

1) Capture to mpeg-2
2) Clean up /trim with Video Redo
3) Use DVD Shrink, if necessary, to make fit on a DVD
4) Author with Tmpg Dvd Author
5) Burn to disk with Pinnacle Instant Copy

You may also wish to look at a desk top recorder, but if your tapes
have macrovision protection that won't work, i.e. Hollywood films,
without a time base corrector of sime type between the VHS player and
the recorder. If the recorder sniffs the Macrovision signal, then it
will refuse to budge. SIMA makes one for about $200. There are others
available also, more and less.

Good luck!