Mounting camera as hard drive for mp3 transfer

Tags:
  • Cameras
  • Hard Drives
  • MP3
  • Peripherals
Last response: in Computer Peripherals
September 5, 2005 6:42:10 PM

I have a Canon Digital iXus i that I would like to mount as an extra
mass storage device in order to use it to transfer some mp3 files to
my SD card for use in my mobile phone.

When I plug it in using the USB cable the Windows XP camera wizard
pops up and mounts the camera as an actual camera (rather than a
generic mass storage device) under My Computer.

Is there a utility or a procedure to get around this? As browsing to
the camera under My Computer, and then attempting to drag and drop mp3
files to it, yields fruitless - it simply won’t allow me to copy any
files at all, including image files, to the window.

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Digital-Cameras-Mounting-...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=310312

More about : mounting camera hard drive mp3 transfer

Anonymous
September 5, 2005 11:12:20 PM

On 05 Sep 2005, noggy wrote

> I have a Canon Digital iXus i that I would like to mount as an
> extra mass storage device in order to use it to transfer some mp3
> files to my SD card for use in my mobile phone.

> When I plug it in using the USB cable the Windows XP camera wizard
> pops up and mounts the camera as an actual camera (rather than a
> generic mass storage device) under My Computer.
>
> Is there a utility or a procedure to get around this? As browsing
> to the camera under My Computer, and then attempting to drag and
> drop mp3 files to it, yields fruitless - it simply won’t allow me
> to copy any files at all, including image files, to the window.

Assuming the camera has a card in it -- I don't know the camera, so
stop *rught8 *here* if it doesn't -- couldn't you just use a basic USB
card reader (which should just should come up as as removable drive)?

--
Cheers,
Harvey

On 5 Sep 2005 14:42:10 -0400, noggy wrote:

>I have a Canon Digital iXus i that I would like to mount as an extra
>mass storage device in order to use it to transfer some mp3 files to
>my SD card for use in my mobile phone.
>
>When I plug it in using the USB cable the Windows XP camera wizard
>pops up and mounts the camera as an actual camera (rather than a
>generic mass storage device) under My Computer.

The Canon way of letting digital point'n'shoot cameras interact with
a PC is limited (and controlled by Canon) and not very good for
multimedia use such as yous. In my experience You can't even copy
pictures in full size back to the camera if you have edited them...
i.e. use it for slideshows on a TV.

>Is there a utility or a procedure to get around this? As browsing to
>the camera under My Computer, and then attempting to drag and drop mp3
>files to it, yields fruitless - it simply won’t allow me to copy any
>files at all, including image files, to the window.

- Just get a card reader (which will also work as a "card writer").
!