I-Link vs USB? Sony DCR-HC32E

I hope to be buying my first mini dv camcorder soon. I have to admit to
being more than a little confused by all the different specs and features
but the Sony DCR-HC32E is currently at the top of my list.

One of the things I want to do is to write the videos to a dvd via my PC. I
dont have a Firewire card in my PC but I've heard that this is the standard
way for the camcorder to communicate with the PC and that Sony call Firewire
I-Link. I do have USB2 though and Sony say that the DCR-HC32E has "Advanced
USB streaming (video cd burning)". Is this just another way of achieving
the same thing (ie transferring the video file from the camera to the
computer) or is it doing something different? - the term video CD burning is
confusing me (why video cd as opposed to DVD?)

I do have a Hauppage TV card installed which has a A/V in and allows me to
capture video. Would this give as good a result as fitting a Firewire card?

I've also seen shops list the model as a DCR-HC32 (without the E on the
end). Is this the same camera or is it a different model. If so, what's the
difference?

Finally, can anyone recommend this camera or possibly suggest an alternative
I should consider?

Thanks
John

Nodge wrote:
> I hope to be buying my first mini dv camcorder soon. I have to admit to
> being more than a little confused by all the different specs and features
> but the Sony DCR-HC32E is currently at the top of my list.
>
> One of the things I want to do is to write the videos to a dvd via my PC. I
> dont have a Firewire card in my PC but I've heard that this is the standard
> way for the camcorder to communicate with the PC and that Sony call Firewire
> I-Link. I do have USB2 though and Sony say that the DCR-HC32E has "Advanced
> USB streaming (video cd burning)". Is this just another way of achieving
> the same thing (ie transferring the video file from the camera to the
> computer) or is it doing something different? - the term video CD burning is
> confusing me (why video cd as opposed to DVD?)
>
> I do have a Hauppage TV card installed which has a A/V in and allows me to
> capture video. Would this give as good a result as fitting a Firewire card?
>
> I've also seen shops list the model as a DCR-HC32 (without the E on the
> end). Is this the same camera or is it a different model. If so, what's the
> difference?
>
> Finally, can anyone recommend this camera or possibly suggest an alternative
> I should consider?
>
> Thanks
> John

The usb option for download is often for still pictures and lower
resolution video. (vcd - 320 x 240)

For full screen video you need the firewire port. These are fairly
cheap to buy as an add-on but you will need a free slot in your pc.

Your TV card may have a video in port but is likely to be composite
video and will not give the same quality as a straight digital
transfer.

Nodge wrote:
> I've also seen shops list the model as a DCR-HC32 (without the E on the
> end). Is this the same camera or is it a different model. If so, what's the
> difference?
> Thanks
> John

The "E" indicates that the camera is a PAL model. PAL is used in
Europe, Australia and New Zealand. NTSC is used in the USA, Canada and
Japan.

Many thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

Regards

Nodge

TRENDING THREADS