accessing computer remotely

I am having serious problems I am running windows XP professional SP2,
and before my the last time I used windows update I was able to remote
desktop into my computer from inside my home network and outside my
home network. I was also able to use a program called Winvnc to get
into my computer. Now I can not access my desktop computer at all
remotely. I did have zone alarm running I disabled that and it did not
work so I uninstalled the progam. I made sure that Windows firewall is
not running. I have ran the virus definition update of norton, I ran
webroot spysweeper, I ran microsofts antispyware, and they came up with
nothing. So with my laptop connected to my router and my desktop
connected to my router with no outside access I gave both computers
static ip address and tried to remotely connect. I can remotely connect
to my laptop but which is running mac 10.3.9 but it would not work vice
versa. I then plugged my desktop up to cable modem with windows xp
firewall enabled and no router in between I then had a friend start
winvnc listening viewer and pointed my vnc server to that listening
viewer and that worked. I also can not ftp into my computer while
running the filezilla ftp server. When I go to canyouseeme.org my
desktop can not be seen on any port.
Any advice:
I have tried like I said disabling the firewalls, refuse to reinstall
the os, I have no restore points, and ran sever virus application
norton and housecall webversion, ran two spyware detectors webroot and
antispy.

How do I kill the built in worm protection is it even possible. Any
resources pointing me to that answer is greatly appreciated.

thanks i will look at it later tonight

If your running NAV 2005 then its possible the built-in worm protection is killing Remote Desktop.
Check that... Otherwise check this page for troubleshooting help...

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Maurice Samueks" <mpsamuels01@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I am having serious problems I am running windows XP professional SP2,
> and before my the last time I used windows update I was able to remote
> desktop into my computer from inside my home network and outside my
> home network. I was also able to use a program called Winvnc to get
> into my computer. Now I can not access my desktop computer at all
> remotely. I did have zone alarm running I disabled that and it did not
> work so I uninstalled the progam. I made sure that Windows firewall is
> not running. I have ran the virus definition update of norton, I ran
> webroot spysweeper, I ran microsofts antispyware, and they came up with
> nothing. So with my laptop connected to my router and my desktop
> connected to my router with no outside access I gave both computers
> static ip address and tried to remotely connect. I can remotely connect
> to my laptop but which is running mac 10.3.9 but it would not work vice
> versa. I then plugged my desktop up to cable modem with windows xp
> firewall enabled and no router in between I then had a friend start
> winvnc listening viewer and pointed my vnc server to that listening
> viewer and that worked. I also can not ftp into my computer while
> running the filezilla ftp server. When I go to canyouseeme.org my
> desktop can not be seen on any port.
> Any advice:
> I have tried like I said disabling the firewalls, refuse to reinstall
> the os, I have no restore points, and ran sever virus application
> norton and housecall webversion, ran two spyware detectors webroot and
> antispy.

Look at the Norton help pages and/or support pages is my best answer. I don't personally use that
software...

--

> How do I kill the built in worm protection is it even possible. Any
> resources pointing me to that answer is greatly appreciated.

Sooner norton was the culpritm i did not know the damage of enabling
internet worm protection. But it did teach that it is a good product so
I just want back and modified it so that I could access my computer and
i was done.