What do these DSFmgr results mean?

Doc

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003
Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.production (More info?)

Here's what shows up when I ran DSFmgr per someone's suggestion (many
thanks!) I'm hoping someone can help interpret what it means. I'm including
all mentions of DV that show up. I hope this formatting stays in place when
I post this or it'll be a mess.

-Audio Compressor-

Manufacturer Filter Merit

DV Audio NTSC not spec. 00600000

-Directshow Filters-

DV Muxer not spec. 00400000
DV Splitter not spec 00600000
DV V/A ACM source filter Ulead 00400000
DV V/A Source filter " 00400000
DV Video decoder not spec 00800000
DV Video source filter Ulead 00400000
Pinnacle DV Decoder Pinnacle 00200000
Pinnacle DV Encoder " 00200000

-Pinnacle Auxilliary Filters-

Pinnacle DV Decoder Pinnacle 00600000
(under info shows up as
"DV Splitter")
Pinnacle DV Encoder " 00600000
(under info shows up as
"DV Splitter")
-Video Compressors-

DV Video Encoder not spec. 00600000

I take it the Filter Merit is some kind of priority? I wonder why the
Pinnacle Decoder/Encoders show a merit of 00200000 under Directshow filters
and as 00600000 under Pinnacle Auxilliary?

Why do the Pinnacle Decoder/Encoder show up as DV splitter under filter
info?

What is a "Muxer"?

In some cases, no Merit is shown in the main page but it is shown under
filter info. Why is that?

Thanks for all shared wisdom.

"Doc" <docsavage20@xhotmail.com> wrote in message
> Here's what shows up when I ran DSFmgr per someone's suggestion (many
> thanks!) I'm hoping someone can help interpret what it means. I'm
> including
> all mentions of DV that show up. I hope this formatting stays in place
> when
> I post this or it'll be a mess.
>
> -Audio Compressor-
>
> Manufacturer Filter Merit
>
> DV Audio NTSC not spec. 00600000
>

> -Directshow Filters-
>
> DV Muxer not spec. 00400000
> DV Splitter not spec 00600000
> DV V/A ACM source filter Ulead 00400000
> DV V/A Source filter " 00400000
> DV Video decoder not spec 00800000
> DV Video source filter Ulead 00400000
> Pinnacle DV Decoder Pinnacle 00200000
> Pinnacle DV Encoder " 00200000
>
> -Pinnacle Auxilliary Filters-
>
> Pinnacle DV Decoder Pinnacle 00600000
> (under info shows up as
> "DV Splitter")
> Pinnacle DV Encoder " 00600000
> (under info shows up as
> "DV Splitter")
> -Video Compressors-
>
> DV Video Encoder not spec. 00600000
>

> I take it the Filter Merit is some kind of priority? I wonder why the
> Pinnacle Decoder/Encoders show a merit of 00200000 under Directshow
> filters
> and as 00600000 under Pinnacle Auxilliary?
>
> Why do the Pinnacle Decoder/Encoder show up as DV splitter under filter
> info?
>
> What is a "Muxer"?
>
> In some cases, no Merit is shown in the main page but it is shown under
> filter info. Why is that?
>
> Thanks for all shared wisdom.

Splitters and Muxers are basically "filters" to separate and put
together the audio and video, for a particular codec. They are
often a required function graphed before an encoder or decoder.

The filter merit is a priority system value, see the slider in the
upper right of the property page.

You should get one other free utility to gain an understanding of
what is going on with the DirectX filters; GraphEdit. With that
you would render one of the files that your camera makes and see
a flowchart of the filters that DirectX chose to play the file. If the
codec will let you change it's merit, some are tricky, you can try
lowering the one used and trying again to see which other filter
takes its place. Or make another a higher merit. Or remove the
filter all together.

Be aware that often proprietary restrictions will limit what any
filter manager can do to some filters. Some only work with their
own programs. I guess what is shown on the filter info/property
page is how the merit evaluation is seen by DirectX, and is not
really changeable. (You can change it on the page but it will
have no effect.) That's just a guess.

Luck;
Ken