PC remote control/config

May 28, 2005 9:56:12 PM

PC remote control/config

On a home LAN with PCs using XP, is there a way to have one PC (master)
remotely configure applications like firewalls, on the remote PCs?

If so, can this be setup so it can be done unilaterally or without any
approvals or operator acceptance required from the remote PCs?

Sometimes the help desk people at work take over my PC but I have to give
them permission

Any tips appreciated.
thanks

More about : remote control config

Anonymous
May 29, 2005 9:41:43 AM

If the PCs are running XP Pro you can use Remote Desktop to access/control the PCs...

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/Rem...

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=280828

If the PCs are running XP Home then VNC (any flavor) is an alternative. I like and use UltraVNC. Get
the server, client and encryption plug-in from...

http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

!