Selectively expose local drives to remote computer?

Hi,

I have two computers running XP on a LAN.
I can successfully use Remote Desktop from computer A to
operate computer B remotely. If I set the RD options to
allow "server" B to see the client A's local drives, B can see
_all_ of A's drives.

Is there a way to only expose some of A's local drives to B?
And just give B "read only" access to those?

Thanks,
Alan Cobb

AFAIK you can't do that...

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Alan Cobb" <alan.spam.off@spam.off.alancobb.spam.off.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have two computers running XP on a LAN.
> I can successfully use Remote Desktop from computer A to
> operate computer B remotely. If I set the RD options to
> allow "server" B to see the client A's local drives, B can see
> _all_ of A's drives.
>
> Is there a way to only expose some of A's local drives to B?
> And just give B "read only" access to those?
>
> Thanks,
> Alan Cobb

On Sun, 29 May 2005 19:05:43 -0500, "Sooner Al [MVP]"
<SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote:

>AFAIK you can't do that...

Hi Al,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Oh well. I guess it's obvious, but this creates a security
exposure. I want to transfer some files to and from
another machine which is less secure, and I want to
prevent the other machine from harming my local
computer. I guess it's back to LapLink.

So apparently all the detailed system of fine-grained
privileges and security developed for the file system
doesn't apply when it comes to RD? I wonder if this
story gets better in Longhorn?

Thanks,
Alan Cobb