Creating a true DVD (not DVD-R)

I've done some reading on this at a few websites, but there is a lot of
terminology and concepts with which I'm not familiar - so I'm having a
hard time grasping this.

I am fully proficient at authoring DVDs, but until now, everything I've
done has strictly been burned to DVD-R. I am creating some business
products that I'd like to distribute on true DVDs.

So my questions:

1. If I author a DVD and burn it to DVD-R, can that DVD-R by itself be
used as the source for a true DVD?

2. Assuming the answer to question #1 is yes, and I supply the source
disk:

If I wanted to get 1,000 DVDs pressed, what is a good ballpark figure
for the total cost (which would include printing on the top of the DVD,
the blanks, DVD cases, and DVD case inserts)?

Thanks,

joe

"eunma" <ashoxx@kornet.net> wrote in message
> I've done some reading on this at a few websites, but there is a lot of
> terminology and concepts with which I'm not familiar - so I'm having a
> hard time grasping this.
>
> I am fully proficient at authoring DVDs, but until now, everything I've
> done has strictly been burned to DVD-R. I am creating some business
> products that I'd like to distribute on true DVDs.
>
> So my questions:
>
> 1. If I author a DVD and burn it to DVD-R, can that DVD-R by itself be
> used as the source for a true DVD?

Yes.

> 2. Assuming the answer to question #1 is yes, and I supply the source
> disk:
>
> If I wanted to get 1,000 DVDs pressed, what is a good ballpark figure
> for the total cost (which would include printing on the top of the DVD,
> the blanks, DVD cases, and DVD case inserts)?

This varies so widely you'd really have to call a publishing place and get a
number. I've seen some that won't press less than 5,000 (it's not worth it
to change the stamp). I've seen some that will press 1000 but there's a
$2000 pressing cost (to create the stamp apparently) plus the cost of the
run... It really all depends on how the shop does it's business.

Sorry.
Tom P.

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On 3 Aug 2005 05:19:52 -0700, in 'rec.video.desktop',
in article <Creating a true DVD (not DVD-R)>,
"eunma" <ashoxx@kornet.net> wrote:

>I've done some reading on this at a few websites, but there is a lot of
>terminology and concepts with which I'm not familiar - so I'm having a
>hard time grasping this.

That's okay. We were all young once. :)

>I am fully proficient at authoring DVDs, but until now, everything I've
>done has strictly been burned to DVD-R. I am creating some business
>products that I'd like to distribute on true DVDs.

When doing DVD-Video discs for business purposes, it makes a lot of
sense to go the replication route rather than the duplication route so
as to avoid the hit-or-miss set top player incompatibility problem.

>So my questions:
>
>1. If I author a DVD and burn it to DVD-R, can that DVD-R by itself be
>used as the source for a true DVD?

That depends upon the individual replication house. Some will accept a
burned disc, usually DVD-R but sometimes DVD+R as well. Other
facilities, usually the higher-end ones, who tend not to do
small-quantity work anyway, will insist upon DLT (Digital Linear
Tape). DLT may also be required for DVD-9 jobs in some cases.

You also have to decide whether or not you need Macrovision, CSS, and
region coding.

>2. Assuming the answer to question #1 is yes, and I supply the source
>disk:
>
>If I wanted to get 1,000 DVDs pressed, what is a good ballpark figure
>for the total cost (which would include printing on the top of the DVD,
>the blanks, DVD cases, and DVD case inserts)?

Total cost of doing 1000 DVD-5 discs can be under $2000 if you shop
carefully. I strongly recommend Disc Makers.

http://www.discmakers.com/cdrom/products/dvdb101.asp

If you're not in a great hurry on this project, request a copy of
their hardcopy catalog and study it prior to placing an order.

>Thanks,

You're welcome, and good luck!

--
Frank, Independent Consultant, New York, NY
[Please remove 'nojunkmail.' from address to reply via e-mail.]

If you are in the West Coast, try a company called New Cyberian
Systems, Inc. They have the best price I could found on the web.
http://www.globalrendering.com/cdrom/. I tried them few times and the
quality is just super. Highly recommended!