Outlook Setup

Please excuse this simplistic question.
I have a 2003 server for small business running exchange. How should
outlook on xp machines be configured so that users may receive emails
effortlessly when either in the office on the LAN or elsewhere on the
internet (home, internet cafe, etc.) ?
Email Server type for email account ?
Incoming mail server ?
Outgoing mail server ?
1 answer Last reply
More about outlook setup

    Depends on your requirements.

    As you have exchange, you have a few choices.

    You mention effortlessly so I would suggest
    RPC over HTTP, this will let them have the same setup both in and out of the
    office.
    This needs some non trivial configuration at the server

    They can access their mail using Outlook Web Access, over the web, from any
    PC, by going to https://yourdomain/exchange
    This is probably working already, assuming you can access the box from the
    internet on port 443, check your firewall...

    IF you want to use POP3 or IMAP then your servername is the fully qualified
    hostname of the exchange server
    ie: myserver.mydomain.com

    You need external DNS setup to access your internal server from the
    internet, unless you address them by IP and it's static.
    Without more detail it is hard to proceed.

    Regards
    Mark Dormer

    "Scotty C" <ScottyC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Please excuse this simplistic question.
    > I have a 2003 server for small business running exchange. How should
    > outlook on xp machines be configured so that users may receive emails
    > effortlessly when either in the office on the LAN or elsewhere on the
    > internet (home, internet cafe, etc.) ?
    > Email Server type for email account ?
    > Incoming mail server ?
    > Outgoing mail server ?