Remote Connection errors

May 30, 2005 9:14:02 PM

Looking for step by step guidence

With Remote desktop connection to my work machine from my home machine

Seems that i can create a remote connection at home to any of the machines
on my network but when i try to connect from work to home or home to work
I continuously get this error message

"The client could not connect to the remote computer. Remote
connections might not be enabled or the computer might be too busy to
accept new connections. It is possible that network problems are
preventing your connection."
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 11:49:50 PM

Reply to message from "Rmast427" <Rmast427@discussions.microsoft.com> (Mon, 30 May 2005
19:14:02) about "Remote Connection errors":

> Looking for step by step guidence

> With Remote desktop connection to my work machine from my home machine

> Seems that i can create a remote connection at home to any of the machines on my
> network but when i try to connect from work to home or home to work I continuously get
> this error message

> "The client could not connect to the remote computer. Remote connections might not be
> enabled or the computer might be too busy to accept new connections. It is possible
> that network problems are preventing your connection."

See this page for help...

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/Rem....
html

Watch the line wrap...

------
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

=== Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 3.3 for the PocketPC
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 11:49:51 PM

I will Spend the next few days evaluating this link

Thanks for the support I'll let you know the out come

"Sooner Al" wrote:

> Reply to message from "Rmast427" <Rmast427@discussions.microsoft.com> (Mon, 30 May 2005
> 19:14:02) about "Remote Connection errors":
>
> > Looking for step by step guidence
>
> > With Remote desktop connection to my work machine from my home machine
>
> > Seems that i can create a remote connection at home to any of the machines on my
> > network but when i try to connect from work to home or home to work I continuously get
> > this error message
>
> > "The client could not connect to the remote computer. Remote connections might not be
> > enabled or the computer might be too busy to accept new connections. It is possible
> > that network problems are preventing your connection."
>
> See this page for help...
>
> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/Rem....
> html
>
> Watch the line wrap...
>
> ------
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
>
> === Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 3.3 for the PocketPC

May 31, 2005 8:55:13 PM

OK I Spent the day reviewing articles on the link you sent me

First I went out to linksys router setup and set forwarding to 3389
and disabled WAN on both my home machine and work machine

secondly I created a staticic IP Address on both machines as well
I Still cannot get a remote connection established

Although I can still create a remote connection from my machine to any other
machine in my office without any issues

"Sooner Al" wrote:

> Reply to message from "Rmast427" <Rmast427@discussions.microsoft.com> (Mon, 30 May 2005
> 19:14:02) about "Remote Connection errors":
>
> > Looking for step by step guidence
>
> > With Remote desktop connection to my work machine from my home machine
>
> > Seems that i can create a remote connection at home to any of the machines on my
> > network but when i try to connect from work to home or home to work I continuously get
> > this error message
>
> > "The client could not connect to the remote computer. Remote connections might not be
> > enabled or the computer might be too busy to accept new connections. It is possible
> > that network problems are preventing your connection."
>
> See this page for help...
>
> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/Rem....
> html
>
> Watch the line wrap...
>
> ------
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
>
> === Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 3.3 for the PocketPC

Anonymous
June 1, 2005 9:44:22 AM

I'm not sure what you mean by "disabled WAN on both my home machine and work machine"?

If Remote Desktop works over the local LAN, ie. at home and/or at work, then it comes down to an
addressing issue or a port forwarding issue or both.

Note that its also possible your work network administrators have blocked TCP Port 3389 both inbound
and outbound. You need to talk to them about that. As far as home is concerned, can you go to a
friends house and try to connect to your home machine?

--

"Rmast427" <Rmast427@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> OK I Spent the day reviewing articles on the link you sent me
>
> First I went out to linksys router setup and set forwarding to 3389
> and disabled WAN on both my home machine and work machine
>
> secondly I created a staticic IP Address on both machines as well
> I Still cannot get a remote connection established
>
> Although I can still create a remote connection from my machine to any other
> machine in my office without any issues
>

> "Sooner Al" wrote:
>
>> Reply to message from "Rmast427" <Rmast427@discussions.microsoft.com> (Mon, 30 May 2005
>> 19:14:02) about "Remote Connection errors":
>>
>> > Looking for step by step guidence
>>
>> > With Remote desktop connection to my work machine from my home machine
>>
>> > Seems that i can create a remote connection at home to any of the machines on my
>> > network but when i try to connect from work to home or home to work I continuously get
>> > this error message
>>
>> > "The client could not connect to the remote computer. Remote connections might not be
>> > enabled or the computer might be too busy to accept new connections. It is possible
>> > that network problems are preventing your connection."
>>
>> See this page for help...
>>
>> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/Rem....
>> html
>>
>> Watch the line wrap...
>>
>> ------
>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
>>
>> === Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 3.3 for the PocketPC

Anonymous
June 1, 2005 8:09:21 PM

Multiple Questions

Well Getting the remote desktop was easy enough after you learn networking
on a crash course

First I may be heading in the wrong direction my goal is to allow multiple
users to connect at the same time and print specific files to a designated
Folder or Place JPG Images as well

1: With Remote desktop when I Set local Resources and check Disk Drives
Remote sends my drives to the machine I log onto I would like to be able
to map there drives to my machine IS THIS POSSIBLE

2: When I Connect to a machine that is on a network I seem to be only capable
of logging on to one of the Machines Possibly because I need to Change The
Listening Port For Ever Machine In The Office
this would seem a little to be a bit troublesome
DO YOU AGREE

Should I Be Doing Research On VPN's Instead

If so how much more complicated is this
Can you once again point me in the right direction

Thanks

"Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:

> I'm not sure what you mean by "disabled WAN on both my home machine and work machine"?
>
> If Remote Desktop works over the local LAN, ie. at home and/or at work, then it comes down to an
> addressing issue or a port forwarding issue or both.
>
> Note that its also possible your work network administrators have blocked TCP Port 3389 both inbound
> and outbound. You need to talk to them about that. As far as home is concerned, can you go to a
> friends house and try to connect to your home machine?
>
> --
>
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> "Rmast427" <Rmast427@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >
> > OK I Spent the day reviewing articles on the link you sent me
> >
> > First I went out to linksys router setup and set forwarding to 3389
> > and disabled WAN on both my home machine and work machine
> >
> > secondly I created a staticic IP Address on both machines as well
> > I Still cannot get a remote connection established
> >
> > Although I can still create a remote connection from my machine to any other
> > machine in my office without any issues
> >

> > "Sooner Al" wrote:
> >
> >> Reply to message from "Rmast427" <Rmast427@discussions.microsoft.com> (Mon, 30 May 2005
> >> 19:14:02) about "Remote Connection errors":

> >> See this page for help...
> >>
> >> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/Rem....
> >> html
> >>
> >> Watch the line wrap...
> >>
> >> ------
> >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
> >>
> >> === Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 3.3 for the PocketPC

Anonymous
June 2, 2005 9:25:03 AM

Well, by configuring disk drives in the local resources tab your making all disk drives on both PCs
available to you while in the RD session. You can copy/cut-in-paste/etc between drives...

For access to multiple PCs, using Remote Desktop, you can either run RD through a SSH or VPN tunnel
or change/redirect the listening port for each PC. Here are some pages for help with each of those
scenarios...

SSH...

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/SSH...

VPN...

http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn_server....
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn.htm

Change/redirect the listening port...

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/Mul...

Personally I use the SSH method...

Remember that with Remote Desktop only one person can log onto a particular XP Pro PC at a time.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;280828

If you need multiple user access to files on a PC then setting up a VPN or SSH server is an
alternative. Remember there is a limit to the number of simultaneous inbound connections that can be
made to an XP box and a limit to the number of inbound connections to a VPN server...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314882

--

> Multiple Questions
>
> Well Getting the remote desktop was easy enough after you learn networking
> on a crash course
>
> First I may be heading in the wrong direction my goal is to allow multiple
> users to connect at the same time and print specific files to a designated
> Folder or Place JPG Images as well
>
> 1: With Remote desktop when I Set local Resources and check Disk Drives
> Remote sends my drives to the machine I log onto I would like to be able
> to map there drives to my machine IS THIS POSSIBLE
>

> 2: When I Connect to a machine that is on a network I seem to be only capable
> of logging on to one of the Machines Possibly because I need to Change The
> Listening Port For Ever Machine In The Office
> this would seem a little to be a bit troublesome
> DO YOU AGREE
>
> Should I Be Doing Research On VPN's Instead
>
> If so how much more complicated is this
> Can you once again point me in the right direction
>
> Thanks
>

> "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure what you mean by "disabled WAN on both my home machine and work machine"?
>>
>> If Remote Desktop works over the local LAN, ie. at home and/or at work, then it comes down to an
>> addressing issue or a port forwarding issue or both.
>>
>> Note that its also possible your work network administrators have blocked TCP Port 3389 both
>> inbound
>> and outbound. You need to talk to them about that. As far as home is concerned, can you go to a
>> friends house and try to connect to your home machine?
>>
>> --
>>
>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

>> "Rmast427" <Rmast427@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > OK I Spent the day reviewing articles on the link you sent me
>> >
>> > First I went out to linksys router setup and set forwarding to 3389
>> > and disabled WAN on both my home machine and work machine
>> >
>> > secondly I created a staticic IP Address on both machines as well
>> > I Still cannot get a remote connection established
>> >
>> > Although I can still create a remote connection from my machine to any other
>> > machine in my office without any issues

Anonymous
June 3, 2005 4:12:02 PM

Ok

In a relpy to someone elses problem creating a vpn
you Wrote

'********************************
Over your private LAN use the static LAN IP of the server to call. Yes, you
can use the ipconfig
command.

Over the public internet use the public IP of the router *AND* make sure TCP
Port 1723 and GRE
Protocol 47 traffic are forwarded/enabled through the router. The latter is
sometimes called "PPTP
Pass Through" or "VPN Pass Through". Check your router users manual or
support web pages for help...

'*********************************

Well I've followed all the footsteps to creating a vpn and use the port
query to to see if
1723 is listening at first it was not
therefor when trying to create a VPN connection I got error creating a
connetion to server

then I set my routers forwarding to 1723
and as a result the port is now listening

Now when I try to create a VPN Connection
It seems like it wants to connect but I get error # 721

When Researching error #721 seems like it is pointing
your above mentioned Protocol 47 traffic

I have a linsys WRK54G Router at Home

What Should I Look for to resolve this Issue
and what firewall settings should i look to change
also i'm running SP2

Thanks again Bob

"Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:

> [...]
> >

> > "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> I'm not sure what you mean by "disabled WAN on both my home machine and work machine"?
> >>
> >> If Remote Desktop works over the local LAN, ie. at home and/or at work, then it comes down to an
> >> addressing issue or a port forwarding issue or both.
> >>
> >> Note that its also possible your work network administrators have blocked TCP Port 3389 both
> >> inbound
> >> and outbound. You need to talk to them about that. As far as home is concerned, can you go to a
> >> friends house and try to connect to your home machine?
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
> >>
> >> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual benefit of all of us...
> >> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> >> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights...

June 3, 2005 11:14:01 PM

So lets be clear on this...

Are you trying to connect to a remote XP Pro PC using Remote Desktop or are you trying to setup a
VPN and then connect through the VPN tunnel with Remote Desktop?

If it the latter case you must make sure your router also will pass GRE Protocol 47 traffic. As
noted that is sometimes called "PPTP Pass Through" or "VPN Pass Through". That can also be highly
dependent on the version of firmware your running on your router and in some cases simply does not
work at all with some consumer grade routers. If you setup the PPTP VPN server on a XP box the SP2
Windows Firewall will be automatically configured for both TCP Port 1723 and GRE Protocol 47
traffic.

You don't need to use a VPN in order to use Remote Desktop from a remote site, although you could if
you wanted to...

--

> [...]
>> > on a crash course
>> >
>> > First I may be heading in the wrong direction my goal is to allow multiple
>> > users to connect at the same time and print specific files to a designated
>> > Folder or Place JPG Images as well
>> >
>> > 1: With Remote desktop when I Set local Resources and check Disk Drives
>> > Remote sends my drives to the machine I log onto I would like to be able
>> > to map there drives to my machine IS THIS POSSIBLE
>> >

>> > 2: When I Connect to a machine that is on a network I seem to be only capable
>> > of logging on to one of the Machines Possibly because I need to Change The
>> > Listening Port For Ever Machine In The Office
>> > this would seem a little to be a bit troublesome
>> > DO YOU AGREE
>> >
>> > Should I Be Doing Research On VPN's Instead
>> >
>> > If so how much more complicated is this
>> > Can you once again point me in the right direction

June 4, 2005 12:25:11 AM

Just a VPN to share files with remotely connected users

I have remote desktop working and have decided
That remote desktop is not the way to go

So guess I will describe what my ultimate goal actually is

I’m a programmer that has written some imaging application
That I formally used as email applications

In the new world of technologies email is not the most efficient way
To receive files

So what I'm expecting to do
Is have my new program encapsulate
The images into a PDF document along with other types of files
That needs to be transported to some sort of a mapped out
Drive from there machine to mine

So think of yourself sitting in front of you machine and ten other
Users beside you that all need to connect to my machine at home
Is this not just a VPN connection

Using a remote desktop does cut the mustard as I have stated
In earlier conversation I figured out how once remotely
Connected I’m now able to MAP out my remotely
Connected DISK Drives to what ever DRIVE I specify

The problem is that when I copy files programmatically
Or just copy and paste them It’s just incredibly slow

So I guess what I need to do just create a dedicated VPN

So let’s forget about the remote desktop for now that works
Just fine otherwise and actually faster than GOTOMYPC as you
Had earlier stated

Back to creating a VPN

I’ve got this to the point that when I’m trying to
Connect to the VIRTUAL PRIVATE NETWORK
It seems like it wants to connect but I get error # 721

When Researching error #721 seems like it is pointing
TO Protocol 47 traffic

Shouldn’t I be capable of opening up protocol 47
Somewhere within my BSFR41 Router or am I Just
Starting to get Totally lost

I followed all the procedures
You sent Me within this URL
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn_server....

and have spent quite a bit of time researching the same technologies

!