Remote Connection errors

Looking for step by step guidence

With Remote desktop connection to my work machine from my home machine

Seems that i can create a remote connection at home to any of the machines
on my network but when i try to connect from work to home or home to work
I continuously get this error message

"The client could not connect to the remote computer. Remote
connections might not be enabled or the computer might be too busy to
accept new connections. It is possible that network problems are
preventing your connection."
9 answers Last reply
More about remote connection errors

    Reply to message from "Rmast427" <Rmast427@discussions.microsoft.com> (Mon, 30 May 2005
    19:14:02) about "Remote Connection errors":

    > Looking for step by step guidence

    > With Remote desktop connection to my work machine from my home machine

    > Seems that i can create a remote connection at home to any of the machines on my
    > network but when i try to connect from work to home or home to work I continuously get
    > this error message

    > "The client could not connect to the remote computer. Remote connections might not be
    > enabled or the computer might be too busy to accept new connections. It is possible
    > that network problems are preventing your connection."

    See this page for help...

    http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/RemoteDesktopSetupandTroubleshooting.
    html

    Watch the line wrap...

    ------
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    === Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 3.3 for the PocketPC

    I will Spend the next few days evaluating this link

    Thanks for the support I'll let you know the out come

    "Sooner Al" wrote:

    > Reply to message from "Rmast427" <Rmast427@discussions.microsoft.com> (Mon, 30 May 2005
    > 19:14:02) about "Remote Connection errors":
    >
    > > Looking for step by step guidence
    >
    > > With Remote desktop connection to my work machine from my home machine
    >
    > > Seems that i can create a remote connection at home to any of the machines on my
    > > network but when i try to connect from work to home or home to work I continuously get
    > > this error message
    >
    > > "The client could not connect to the remote computer. Remote connections might not be
    > > enabled or the computer might be too busy to accept new connections. It is possible
    > > that network problems are preventing your connection."
    >
    > See this page for help...
    >
    > http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/RemoteDesktopSetupandTroubleshooting.
    > html
    >
    > Watch the line wrap...
    >
    > ------
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
    >
    > === Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 3.3 for the PocketPC

    OK I Spent the day reviewing articles on the link you sent me

    First I went out to linksys router setup and set forwarding to 3389
    and disabled WAN on both my home machine and work machine

    secondly I created a staticic IP Address on both machines as well
    I Still cannot get a remote connection established

    Although I can still create a remote connection from my machine to any other
    machine in my office without any issues

    "Sooner Al" wrote:

    > Reply to message from "Rmast427" <Rmast427@discussions.microsoft.com> (Mon, 30 May 2005
    > 19:14:02) about "Remote Connection errors":
    >
    > > Looking for step by step guidence
    >
    > > With Remote desktop connection to my work machine from my home machine
    >
    > > Seems that i can create a remote connection at home to any of the machines on my
    > > network but when i try to connect from work to home or home to work I continuously get
    > > this error message
    >
    > > "The client could not connect to the remote computer. Remote connections might not be
    > > enabled or the computer might be too busy to accept new connections. It is possible
    > > that network problems are preventing your connection."
    >
    > See this page for help...
    >
    > http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/RemoteDesktopSetupandTroubleshooting.
    > html
    >
    > Watch the line wrap...
    >
    > ------
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
    >
    > === Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 3.3 for the PocketPC

    I'm not sure what you mean by "disabled WAN on both my home machine and work machine"?

    If Remote Desktop works over the local LAN, ie. at home and/or at work, then it comes down to an
    addressing issue or a port forwarding issue or both.

    Note that its also possible your work network administrators have blocked TCP Port 3389 both inbound
    and outbound. You need to talk to them about that. As far as home is concerned, can you go to a
    friends house and try to connect to your home machine?

    --

    "Rmast427" <Rmast427@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > OK I Spent the day reviewing articles on the link you sent me
    >
    > First I went out to linksys router setup and set forwarding to 3389
    > and disabled WAN on both my home machine and work machine
    >
    > secondly I created a staticic IP Address on both machines as well
    > I Still cannot get a remote connection established
    >
    > Although I can still create a remote connection from my machine to any other
    > machine in my office without any issues
    >

    > "Sooner Al" wrote:
    >
    >> Reply to message from "Rmast427" <Rmast427@discussions.microsoft.com> (Mon, 30 May 2005
    >> 19:14:02) about "Remote Connection errors":
    >>
    >> > Looking for step by step guidence
    >>
    >> > With Remote desktop connection to my work machine from my home machine
    >>
    >> > Seems that i can create a remote connection at home to any of the machines on my
    >> > network but when i try to connect from work to home or home to work I continuously get
    >> > this error message
    >>
    >> > "The client could not connect to the remote computer. Remote connections might not be
    >> > enabled or the computer might be too busy to accept new connections. It is possible
    >> > that network problems are preventing your connection."
    >>
    >> See this page for help...
    >>
    >> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/RemoteDesktopSetupandTroubleshooting.
    >> html
    >>
    >> Watch the line wrap...
    >>
    >> ------
    >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
    >>
    >> === Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 3.3 for the PocketPC

    Multiple Questions

    Well Getting the remote desktop was easy enough after you learn networking
    on a crash course

    First I may be heading in the wrong direction my goal is to allow multiple
    users to connect at the same time and print specific files to a designated
    Folder or Place JPG Images as well

    1: With Remote desktop when I Set local Resources and check Disk Drives
    Remote sends my drives to the machine I log onto I would like to be able
    to map there drives to my machine IS THIS POSSIBLE

    2: When I Connect to a machine that is on a network I seem to be only capable
    of logging on to one of the Machines Possibly because I need to Change The
    Listening Port For Ever Machine In The Office
    this would seem a little to be a bit troublesome
    DO YOU AGREE

    Should I Be Doing Research On VPN's Instead

    If so how much more complicated is this
    Can you once again point me in the right direction

    Thanks

    "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:

    > I'm not sure what you mean by "disabled WAN on both my home machine and work machine"?
    >
    > If Remote Desktop works over the local LAN, ie. at home and/or at work, then it comes down to an
    > addressing issue or a port forwarding issue or both.
    >
    > Note that its also possible your work network administrators have blocked TCP Port 3389 both inbound
    > and outbound. You need to talk to them about that. As far as home is concerned, can you go to a
    > friends house and try to connect to your home machine?
    >
    > --
    >
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > "Rmast427" <Rmast427@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > OK I Spent the day reviewing articles on the link you sent me
    > >
    > > First I went out to linksys router setup and set forwarding to 3389
    > > and disabled WAN on both my home machine and work machine
    > >
    > > secondly I created a staticic IP Address on both machines as well
    > > I Still cannot get a remote connection established
    > >
    > > Although I can still create a remote connection from my machine to any other
    > > machine in my office without any issues
    > >

    > > "Sooner Al" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Reply to message from "Rmast427" <Rmast427@discussions.microsoft.com> (Mon, 30 May 2005
    > >> 19:14:02) about "Remote Connection errors":

    > >> See this page for help...
    > >>
    > >> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/RemoteDesktopSetupandTroubleshooting.
    > >> html
    > >>
    > >> Watch the line wrap...
    > >>
    > >> ------
    > >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
    > >>
    > >> === Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 3.3 for the PocketPC

    Well, by configuring disk drives in the local resources tab your making all disk drives on both PCs
    available to you while in the RD session. You can copy/cut-in-paste/etc between drives...

    For access to multiple PCs, using Remote Desktop, you can either run RD through a SSH or VPN tunnel
    or change/redirect the listening port for each PC. Here are some pages for help with each of those
    scenarios...

    SSH...

    http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/SSH-RDP-VNC/RemoteDesktopVNCandSSH.html

    VPN...

    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn_server.htm
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn.htm

    Change/redirect the listening port...

    http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/Multiple_PC_RD.html

    Personally I use the SSH method...

    Remember that with Remote Desktop only one person can log onto a particular XP Pro PC at a time.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;280828

    If you need multiple user access to files on a PC then setting up a VPN or SSH server is an
    alternative. Remember there is a limit to the number of simultaneous inbound connections that can be
    made to an XP box and a limit to the number of inbound connections to a VPN server...

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prcg_cnd_dbem.asp
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314882

    --

    > Multiple Questions
    >
    > Well Getting the remote desktop was easy enough after you learn networking
    > on a crash course
    >
    > First I may be heading in the wrong direction my goal is to allow multiple
    > users to connect at the same time and print specific files to a designated
    > Folder or Place JPG Images as well
    >
    > 1: With Remote desktop when I Set local Resources and check Disk Drives
    > Remote sends my drives to the machine I log onto I would like to be able
    > to map there drives to my machine IS THIS POSSIBLE
    >

    > 2: When I Connect to a machine that is on a network I seem to be only capable
    > of logging on to one of the Machines Possibly because I need to Change The
    > Listening Port For Ever Machine In The Office
    > this would seem a little to be a bit troublesome
    > DO YOU AGREE
    >
    > Should I Be Doing Research On VPN's Instead
    >
    > If so how much more complicated is this
    > Can you once again point me in the right direction
    >
    > Thanks
    >

    > "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> I'm not sure what you mean by "disabled WAN on both my home machine and work machine"?
    >>
    >> If Remote Desktop works over the local LAN, ie. at home and/or at work, then it comes down to an
    >> addressing issue or a port forwarding issue or both.
    >>
    >> Note that its also possible your work network administrators have blocked TCP Port 3389 both
    >> inbound
    >> and outbound. You need to talk to them about that. As far as home is concerned, can you go to a
    >> friends house and try to connect to your home machine?
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    >> "Rmast427" <Rmast427@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > OK I Spent the day reviewing articles on the link you sent me
    >> >
    >> > First I went out to linksys router setup and set forwarding to 3389
    >> > and disabled WAN on both my home machine and work machine
    >> >
    >> > secondly I created a staticic IP Address on both machines as well
    >> > I Still cannot get a remote connection established
    >> >
    >> > Although I can still create a remote connection from my machine to any other
    >> > machine in my office without any issues

    Ok

    In a relpy to someone elses problem creating a vpn
    you Wrote

    '********************************
    Over your private LAN use the static LAN IP of the server to call. Yes, you
    can use the ipconfig
    command.

    Over the public internet use the public IP of the router *AND* make sure TCP
    Port 1723 and GRE
    Protocol 47 traffic are forwarded/enabled through the router. The latter is
    sometimes called "PPTP
    Pass Through" or "VPN Pass Through". Check your router users manual or
    support web pages for help...

    '*********************************

    Well I've followed all the footsteps to creating a vpn and use the port
    query to to see if
    1723 is listening at first it was not
    therefor when trying to create a VPN connection I got error creating a
    connetion to server

    then I set my routers forwarding to 1723
    and as a result the port is now listening

    Now when I try to create a VPN Connection
    It seems like it wants to connect but I get error # 721

    When Researching error #721 seems like it is pointing
    your above mentioned Protocol 47 traffic

    I have a linsys WRK54G Router at Home

    What Should I Look for to resolve this Issue
    and what firewall settings should i look to change
    also i'm running SP2

    Thanks again Bob

    "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:

> [...]
    > >

    > > "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:
    > >
    > >> I'm not sure what you mean by "disabled WAN on both my home machine and work machine"?
    > >>
    > >> If Remote Desktop works over the local LAN, ie. at home and/or at work, then it comes down to an
    > >> addressing issue or a port forwarding issue or both.
    > >>
    > >> Note that its also possible your work network administrators have blocked TCP Port 3389 both
    > >> inbound
    > >> and outbound. You need to talk to them about that. As far as home is concerned, can you go to a
    > >> friends house and try to connect to your home machine?
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >>
    > >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
    > >>
    > >> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual benefit of all of us...
    > >> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    > >> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights...

    So lets be clear on this...

    Are you trying to connect to a remote XP Pro PC using Remote Desktop or are you trying to setup a
    VPN and then connect through the VPN tunnel with Remote Desktop?

    If it the latter case you must make sure your router also will pass GRE Protocol 47 traffic. As
    noted that is sometimes called "PPTP Pass Through" or "VPN Pass Through". That can also be highly
    dependent on the version of firmware your running on your router and in some cases simply does not
    work at all with some consumer grade routers. If you setup the PPTP VPN server on a XP box the SP2
    Windows Firewall will be automatically configured for both TCP Port 1723 and GRE Protocol 47
    traffic.

    You don't need to use a VPN in order to use Remote Desktop from a remote site, although you could if
    you wanted to...

    --

> [...]
    >> > on a crash course
    >> >
    >> > First I may be heading in the wrong direction my goal is to allow multiple
    >> > users to connect at the same time and print specific files to a designated
    >> > Folder or Place JPG Images as well
    >> >
    >> > 1: With Remote desktop when I Set local Resources and check Disk Drives
    >> > Remote sends my drives to the machine I log onto I would like to be able
    >> > to map there drives to my machine IS THIS POSSIBLE
    >> >

    >> > 2: When I Connect to a machine that is on a network I seem to be only capable
    >> > of logging on to one of the Machines Possibly because I need to Change The
    >> > Listening Port For Ever Machine In The Office
    >> > this would seem a little to be a bit troublesome
    >> > DO YOU AGREE
    >> >
    >> > Should I Be Doing Research On VPN's Instead
    >> >
    >> > If so how much more complicated is this
    >> > Can you once again point me in the right direction

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    Just a VPN to share files with remotely connected users

    I have remote desktop working and have decided
    That remote desktop is not the way to go

    So guess I will describe what my ultimate goal actually is

    I’m a programmer that has written some imaging application
    That I formally used as email applications

    In the new world of technologies email is not the most efficient way
    To receive files

    So what I'm expecting to do
    Is have my new program encapsulate
    The images into a PDF document along with other types of files
    That needs to be transported to some sort of a mapped out
    Drive from there machine to mine

    So think of yourself sitting in front of you machine and ten other
    Users beside you that all need to connect to my machine at home
    Is this not just a VPN connection

    Using a remote desktop does cut the mustard as I have stated
    In earlier conversation I figured out how once remotely
    Connected I’m now able to MAP out my remotely
    Connected DISK Drives to what ever DRIVE I specify

    The problem is that when I copy files programmatically
    Or just copy and paste them It’s just incredibly slow

    So I guess what I need to do just create a dedicated VPN

    So let’s forget about the remote desktop for now that works
    Just fine otherwise and actually faster than GOTOMYPC as you
    Had earlier stated

    Back to creating a VPN

    I’ve got this to the point that when I’m trying to
    Connect to the VIRTUAL PRIVATE NETWORK
    It seems like it wants to connect but I get error # 721

    When Researching error #721 seems like it is pointing
    TO Protocol 47 traffic

    Shouldn’t I be capable of opening up protocol 47
    Somewhere within my BSFR41 Router or am I Just
    Starting to get Totally lost

    I followed all the procedures
    You sent Me within this URL
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn_server.htm

    and have spent quite a bit of time researching the same technologies

    "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:

> [...]
    > >>
    > >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;280828
    > >>
    > >> If you need multiple user access to files on a PC then setting up a VPN or SSH server is an
    > >> alternative. Remember there is a limit to the number of simultaneous inbound connections that can
    > >> be
    > >> made to an XP box and a limit to the number of inbound connections to a VPN server...
    > >>
    > >> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prcg_cnd_dbem.asp
    > >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314882
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >>
    > >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
    > >>
    > >> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual benefit of all of us...
    > >> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    > >> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights...

Remote Desktop Connection Computers Windows XP