exporting DV Express log to FCP

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 3, 2005 6:06:04 PM

Hi- is there a way to make FCP accept an .ale Avid Log Exchange file,
so you can offline on DV Express and edit on FCP?

Thanks,
an audio guy hoping I understand the director's question
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 4:28:30 AM

On 3 Aug 2005 14:06:04 -0700, jflenniken@namb.net wrote:

>Hi- is there a way to make FCP accept an .ale Avid Log Exchange file,
>so you can offline on DV Express and edit on FCP?
>
>Thanks,
>an audio guy hoping I understand the director's question

An audio-guy trying to understand a director with regards to
video-editing. Now that is asking for trouble :D

You shouldn't use ALE, but EDL's. Export to a CMX3600 type of
EDL on your Avid, and import that in your FCP, with a handle of 30
frames (or 25 in PAL-land). The best is to _not_ apply any effects at
all in Avid, but to leave that up to your FCP. Make sure though that
you select the material in your Avid, which you want to apply effects
on, and make sure it has the right lenghts (important for
slow-motions).

cheers

-martin-

--

"Northern Hemisphere tourists must purchase new CD players
when visiting Australia, since CDs play backwards in the