Black Screen of Death

I went through all the steps, and was able to connect remotely while
connected to the same network.

When I try it at home, The screen pops up, with the IP address on top, and
sometimes I get a part of the windows logon box, but it never fully renders.
Eventually I get the message "The connection to the remote computer was
broken. THis may have been caused by a network error. Please try connecting
to the remote computer again."

Trying again, dones not help. People at the remote computer say it statrs to
do something, but goes to the user login screen, and my connection dies.

Thoughts?
3 answers Last reply
More about black screen death

    Slow connections, ie. dialup, can be an issue sometimes. Have you "tuned" RD for your connection?

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/mobility/learnmore/russel_august27.mspx

    You also might consider disabling the rendering of the remote PC desktop wallpaper... See this page,
    near the end, for help doing that...

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    "Ranxero" <Ranxero@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I went through all the steps, and was able to connect remotely while
    > connected to the same network.
    >
    > When I try it at home, The screen pops up, with the IP address on top, and
    > sometimes I get a part of the windows logon box, but it never fully renders.
    > Eventually I get the message "The connection to the remote computer was
    > broken. THis may have been caused by a network error. Please try connecting
    > to the remote computer again."
    >
    > Trying again, dones not help. People at the remote computer say it statrs to
    > do something, but goes to the user login screen, and my connection dies.
    >
    > Thoughts?

    Both computers are on high speed connections. The wallpaper on the remote
    computer is just black. Can the Norton AV have anything to do with it? I've
    read some things about improper session disconnects wrecking some norton
    files, which then disallow connections. The only other thing I can think of
    is maybe I am not putting in the pathway properly, or in the right spot.
    While on the local LAN, I just put in the computers IP, user name, and
    password. When I am at home, do I need to put in the full path to that
    computer? eg. User Name: OFFICE/ROOM2/MYNAME (OFFICE is the local networks
    name, ROOM2 is the computer name, and MYNAME is the user name)

    Or would that go into the DOMAIN space? Help! I am so close...

    "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:

    > Slow connections, ie. dialup, can be an issue sometimes. Have you "tuned" RD for your connection?
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/mobility/learnmore/russel_august27.mspx
    >
    > You also might consider disabling the rendering of the remote PC desktop wallpaper... See this page,
    > near the end, for help doing that...
    >
    > http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/RemoteDesktopSetupandTroubleshooting.html
    >
    > --
    >
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > "Ranxero" <Ranxero@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I went through all the steps, and was able to connect remotely while
    > > connected to the same network.
    > >
    > > When I try it at home, The screen pops up, with the IP address on top, and
    > > sometimes I get a part of the windows logon box, but it never fully renders.
    > > Eventually I get the message "The connection to the remote computer was
    > > broken. THis may have been caused by a network error. Please try connecting
    > > to the remote computer again."
    > >
    > > Trying again, dones not help. People at the remote computer say it statrs to
    > > do something, but goes to the user login screen, and my connection dies.
    > >
    > > Thoughts?

    From home to office you need the public IP of any firewall/NAT/router at the office end or a fully
    qualified domain name. Log on to RD using a valid user name and password, just like over the local
    LAN.

    --

    > Both computers are on high speed connections. The wallpaper on the remote
    > computer is just black. Can the Norton AV have anything to do with it? I've
    > read some things about improper session disconnects wrecking some norton
    > files, which then disallow connections. The only other thing I can think of
    > is maybe I am not putting in the pathway properly, or in the right spot.
    > While on the local LAN, I just put in the computers IP, user name, and
    > password. When I am at home, do I need to put in the full path to that
    > computer? eg. User Name: OFFICE/ROOM2/MYNAME (OFFICE is the local networks
    > name, ROOM2 is the computer name, and MYNAME is the user name)
    >
    > Or would that go into the DOMAIN space? Help! I am so close...
    >
    > "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> Slow connections, ie. dialup, can be an issue sometimes. Have you "tuned" RD for your connection?
    >>
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/mobility/learnmore/russel_august27.mspx
    >>
    >> You also might consider disabling the rendering of the remote PC desktop wallpaper... See this
    >> page,
    >> near the end, for help doing that...
    >>
    >> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/RemoteDesktopSetupandTroubleshooting.html
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    >> "Ranxero" <Ranxero@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I went through all the steps, and was able to connect remotely while
    >> > connected to the same network.
    >> >
    >> > When I try it at home, The screen pops up, with the IP address on top, and
    >> > sometimes I get a part of the windows logon box, but it never fully renders.
    >> > Eventually I get the message "The connection to the remote computer was
    >> > broken. THis may have been caused by a network error. Please try connecting
    >> > to the remote computer again."
    >> >
    >> > Trying again, dones not help. People at the remote computer say it statrs to
    >> > do something, but goes to the user login screen, and my connection dies.
    >> >
    >> > Thoughts?

Connection Computers Windows XP