Record What's Happening on Computer Screen

Hi,

I have seen many software tutorials that record user's actions on the
computer into QuickTime video. I was wondering what kind of software
can do such recording.

I am hoping to create a tutorial that shows users how to use a program
step-by-step. I would like to record exactly what I do with each menu
and command in the program. I am looking for a Windows-based software
to do such a job.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Terry
4 answers Last reply
More about record what happening computer screen

    Terry wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have seen many software tutorials that record user's actions on the
    > computer into QuickTime video. I was wondering what kind of software
    > can do such recording.
    >
    > I am hoping to create a tutorial that shows users how to use a program
    > step-by-step. I would like to record exactly what I do with each menu
    > and command in the program. I am looking for a Windows-based software
    > to do such a job.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your help!
    >
    > Terry

    Two good ones that I'm aware of are
    Camtasia Studio from http://www.techsmith.com/ and
    HyperCam from http://www.hyperionics.com/
    The only save as AVIs though so you'll have to transcode
    to quicktime if necessary.
    Both have free trial downloads.
    They're not cheap but, as always,
    you get what you pay for.

    Mike

    Repl

    Martin wrote:
    > snip <
    > You can also capture your screen with the freeware Windows Media Encoder
    > from:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/encoder/default.aspx
    >
    > Windows Media Encoder will capture to it's Windows Media Video/Audio
    > format - good compression and good quality may be ideal for web videos.

    Martin, thanks very much for this tip. I just downloaded it and did a
    test capture. Works for me :-)

    Mike

    On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 07:07:20 +0100, "Martin" <zedolf@o2.co.uk> wrote:

    >"Mike Kujbida" <kujfam@xplornet.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Terry wrote:
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I have seen many software tutorials that record user's actions on the
    >>> computer into QuickTime video. I was wondering what kind of software
    >>> can do such recording.
    >>>
    >>> I am hoping to create a tutorial that shows users how to use a program
    >>> step-by-step. I would like to record exactly what I do with each menu
    >>> and command in the program. I am looking for a Windows-based software
    >>> to do such a job.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance for your help!
    >>>
    >>> Terry
    >>

    >> Two good ones that I'm aware of are
    >> Camtasia Studio from http://www.techsmith.com/ and
    >> HyperCam from http://www.hyperionics.com/
    >> The only save as AVIs though so you'll have to transcode
    >> to quicktime if necessary.
    >> Both have free trial downloads.
    >> They're not cheap but, as always,
    >> you get what you pay for.
    >>
    >> Mike
    >>
    >> Repl
    >>

    >You can also capture your screen with the freeware Windows Media Encoder
    >from:
    >http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/encoder/default.aspx
    >
    >Windows Media Encoder will capture to it's Windows Media Video/Audio
    >format - good compression and good quality may be ideal for web videos.
    >
    >Martin.

    Hi Martin,

    I agree. Between WME and Snagit 7 I'm able to capture pretty much
    anything I need to develop tutorials.

    Snagit now has video capture capabilities as well as many other
    features and it's much cheaper than Camtasia. I never liked the audio
    capabilities of Camtasia anyway, so I've always used a separate
    program to add/edit the audio anyway.

    Best regards,

    Hal Lowe

    http://www.halogos.com (logo t-shirts, mugs, etc.)
    http://www.halowe-graphics.com/photo.html (digiPhoto)
    http://www.1and1.com/?k_id=7391019 (web hosting)
    http://www.halowe-graphics.com/tinc?key=0TmhZVQ5&formname=web_email
    (e-mail)

Tuner Cards Computer Video Software Graphics